Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805978 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8385 on: December 19, 2013, 03:36:41 am »

Just don't make vegetarian jokes. Elves eat meat.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: December 19, 2013, 03:38:02 am »

"Jest keep stuffin' mushrooms in th' wound till ye stop bleedin'."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: December 19, 2013, 03:58:08 am »

Just don't make vegetarian jokes. Elves eat meat.
Then eat as many plants as possible to get the elves angry.

PersonGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: December 19, 2013, 04:12:26 am »

1.Will there be a civilization mode for dwarves and other races as in a strategy game that will allow general control over a nation like ordering the building of cities and assembling armies and such and such.

2. Will we see technological advancement and or the discovery of magic for other races.

3. Will mounts and realistic mounted combat be implemented and will their be per chance by things like horse armor as i noticed having ones mount taken out is of serious detriment to the rider.

4. Will we be able to participate in politics as an adventurer and possibly be a strategic and or battlefield commander and will we see mobile constructions such as siege towers, ships, and wheelbarrows and will they be build able by the player.

5. Armies will there be logistics involved in npc armies such as wagon trains and non soldier workers like doctors, builder, cooks, and possibly smiths and assorted weapon/armor makers and will we see ambushes such as invaders digging tunnels into your fortress from beyond the map edge and assorted devilry.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:14:01 am by PersonGuy »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: December 19, 2013, 04:23:09 am »

1.Will there be a civilization mode for dwarves and other races as in a strategy game that will allow general control over a nation like ordering the building of cities and assembling armies and such and such.
Been talked about over the years. Seems like a defiant probably. But no time line.

2. Will we see technological advancement and or the discovery of magic for other races.
Technology will be stagnate more or less. Magic wont be discoverable per se. There a lot of grand plans for magic. But no tech tree for magic. More like, do magic and see what it do. And randomly generated magic for each generated world. No time line though.

3. Will mounts and realistic mounted combat be implemented and will their be per chance by things like horse armor as i noticed having ones mount taken out is of serious detriment to the rider.
Mounts and mounted combat are planned for fixes. Splitting the speed from combat will in part address some of the mount issues.
I dont believe anything in particular been said about animal armor, but lots of examples of animal armor so probably gonna happen.  No time line though.

4. Will we be able to participate in politics as an adventurer and possibly be a strategic and or battlefield commander and will we see mobile constructions such as siege towers, ships, and wheelbarrows and will they be build able by the player.
Yep. Thats planned in manner. No time line.

5. Armies will there be logistics involved in npc armies such as wagon trains and non soldier workers like doctors, builder, cooks, and possibly smiths and assorted weapon/armor makers and will we see ambushes such as invaders digging tunnels into your fortress from beyond the map edge and assorted devilry.[/color]
Yep. There been a lot of talk on digging invaders in general too. And ToadyOne has spoken about making them more Information Aware instead of Omnipresent knowledge.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: December 19, 2013, 04:25:59 am »

5. Armies will there be logistics involved in npc armies such as wagon trains and non soldier workers like doctors, builder, cooks, and possibly smiths and assorted weapon/armor makers and will we see ambushes such as invaders digging tunnels into your fortress from beyond the map edge and assorted devilry.

1. Yes, eventually, not this release This is from the old dev page, but this seems like something that hasn't changed much since then:

Core30, KINGDOM, (Future): If you manage to get the monarch of the dwarves to arrive, you should obtain at least indirect control over the entire corresponding dwarven civilization. This includes the movement of all dwarven armies on the map and the ability to make the most important diplomatic decisions. Requires Core28.

2. link

3. see above

4. above

5. above

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: December 19, 2013, 05:38:41 am »

Are we at some point going to see non-omniscient dwarves?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: December 19, 2013, 06:38:35 am »

Are we at some point going to see non-omniscient dwarves?
We already have it. Dorfs in Fort Mode can go missing and commit a select number of crimes without it being known to the Fort at large.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: December 19, 2013, 11:49:17 am »

Probably meant in regards to pathfinding.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: December 19, 2013, 12:57:11 pm »

In general, you'll get better answers if you 1) think carefully about the meaning and wording of your question and 2) include examples whenever possible.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:00:15 pm by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: December 19, 2013, 04:18:46 pm »

Question on the 12/19 devlog on refugees. Could we see war refugees come in migrant waves, whether they are normal or forced waves. By forced migrant waves, I mean like a migrant wave that is determined and driven by outside events rather than the outpost liaison sending them. A forced wave would be a future thing and is just a hypothetical and is in no way a suggestion.

On the forced migrant wave thing, I am completely aware of the community sentiment towards migrant waves and I've had huge migrant waves myself, but they should be rare enough that they shouldn't be a major annoyance. Although a huge refugee wave, gah XD Then again, you should have some warning of that.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:17 pm »

Question on the 12/19 devlog on refugees. Could we see war refugees come in migrant waves, whether they are normal or forced waves. By forced migrant waves, I mean like a migrant wave that is determined and driven by outside events rather than the outpost liaison sending them. A forced wave would be a future thing and is just a hypothetical and is in no way a suggestion.

A previous devlog confirms that refugees can become migrants to your fortress:
I figured I'd continue the theme of tangential issues to armies -- some of the remaining army stuff is still a little ill-formed, code-wise, and by doing the related features that I have a better handle on, it sort of pounds the core ideas into a more technical shape from the outside while they are mulled over. So today's project was trying to finish refugees. If a site gets a rumor that a force of critters is coming to eat them or torture them for fun (checking the ethics of the invading civ), many of the citizens decide it is worth it to leave. There'd normally be refugees with regular wars as well, but we don't have large-scale regular wars and related economic/agricultural hardship etc. yet, so I didn't bother with anything there at this point. In any case, the groups look for a safe spot to head for, often ending up together in a camp outside of a nearby non-hostile market town. Having historical figures going to live with their relatives will also be a possibility. I still need to finish some parts of it up (mainly the conversations again, which seem to take more time, even for simple options, since there are lots of moving parts now), which I'll try to manage tomorrow. You'll also be able to convince people to leave with you, if they haven't left town yet, and you can take them to existing refugees or another town, with a corresponding change to your reputation with any involved local groups (the entity controlling the refugees and the possibly multiple local cultures that are a part of it are now separate things, and they'd all be affected). Dwarves from abandoned fortresses fall under the refugee framework and will act accordingly. They should still be able to come to future fortresses, but they'll arrive from wherever the refugees are at, rather than from a randomly chosen dwarf site or wherever in the world it has been putting them.

The fact that the refugees leaving town are initially urged on by a rumor and not actual knowledge of the game world should prove fodder for the "legendary liar" skill in a later release. You're still restricted to telling the truth at this point, but I imagine you could cause quite a bit of trouble once that restriction is relaxed. Even if listeners start disbelieving certain rumors, that could get them into even more trouble when it turns out the rumor is true. It's hard to say how that'll play out game-wise when you (as the recipient of rumors) are just trying to sift through basic information. We'll have to get a feel for how much of a handle on the actual facts the player needs to rely upon to enjoy themselves, given the overall limits of what we'll have programmed when it goes in at first, but the option is sitting there now, anyway.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: December 19, 2013, 04:42:55 pm »

You know what I'm looking forward to?
The background map on the main Bay12 page, when it shows all those little provinces everywhere.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: December 19, 2013, 05:01:13 pm »

Could forced refugee migrant waves be a thing? That's mostly what I was wondering about with event driven waves, but that would be in the future.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: December 19, 2013, 05:09:28 pm »

Could forced refugee migrant waves be a thing? That's mostly what I was wondering about with event driven waves, but that would be in the future.

Yes, today's devlog already says that: "They could just as easily have chosen an active player fort, and that'll really matter around the time we get to the player-controlled inns and taverns."  That seems pretty clear, but here's some extra confirmation:
You get a lot of migrants yourself, but in those fortresses that don't get a lot of migrants, or especially when migrants start changing over to something that actually has to migrate and come to your fortress then you might find that there are more other types of critters visiting. It doesn't mean you need to keep them, it doesn't mean you need to even welcome them, and if you don't have a tavern established you might not have to worry about this stuff, because I can definitely see the side of people that just want to have their dwarves without dealing with all this riffraff. So it's something that's only going to happen if you really encourage it to happen for the most part, although there are things like refugee crises that already happen in the game, but the guys just kind of go off into the wilderness and then re-establish sites in world generation, but if world generation is over they're just hanging out, and those situations might be thrust onto your fortress.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:16:03 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 748