Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806415 times)

Golym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8355 on: December 17, 2013, 03:27:32 pm »

If a site gets a rumor that a force of critters is coming to eat them or torture them for fun (checking the ethics of the invading civ)

How will the game behave in case of the player decides to remain in/go to the site to confront the invaders?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: December 17, 2013, 04:08:20 pm »

Wait - If a rumor that an army is heading for a site can cause the population in that site to leave, could a similar rumor that involves your fort also affect it the same way if some dwarves do not feel safe enough?

Not in the upcoming version, but in the future, they may at least request to leave:
Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

If a site gets a rumor that a force of critters is coming to eat them or torture them for fun (checking the ethics of the invading civ)

How will the game behave in case of the player decides to remain in/go to the site to confront the invaders?

Same deal as visiting an occupied town or a goblin fortress:
Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: December 17, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »

I doubt anything special will happen here. The invasion will happen, and people will get slaughtered. Do you think something should go on?

So chances are that most immigrants that come to a fort would be refugees now? Huh. Guess they should have taken their chances and stayed home given some forts...

Wait - If a rumor that an army is heading for a site can cause the population in that site to leave, could a similar rumor that involves your fort also affect it the same way if some dwarves do not feel safe enough?
I'm pretty sure we'd have heard if Fortress Mode emigration was going to be a thing in the next version. So, I expect they'll continue to put their misguided trust in us.

I know it's always a lost cause, but... Toady, as there has to be more and more dialogue options, would it be reasonable to have Threetoe write the dialogue? Since he's the writer and all. And you're already working together, so it's not exactly like expanding your team.

Also, these devlogs are made of awesome.

I'm pretty sure that ThreeToe has always written some of the dialogue, although I only have writing style to go on.
Yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if I heard that Zach wasn't involved in the dialogue.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: December 17, 2013, 04:20:45 pm »

I can't possibly foresee how Toady could get things done before the 27th (or 28th) or 31st, which in turn means two things:

DF2013 officially renamed to DF2014
DF2014 confirmed for longest development cycle in history

Let's face it, it takes Toady (IIRC, haven't been here to witness) two weeks average to finish the testing and there are exactly two weeks left of this year, so...

If he does somehow manage to release it this year then you can call me the biggest idiot on bloody Earth, but honestly that's just as unlikely as anything else.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: December 17, 2013, 04:47:00 pm »

What about Dukem Nukem Forever?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: December 17, 2013, 04:48:33 pm »

Oh my god, this is getting awesomer by the minute!

I can't wait to go around saying a evil force of evil is on it's way to eat everybody's hearts, rape their horses, raze their womens and steal their homes.

Oh wait...
Why can't there be nice invaders who steal everybody's hearts, eat the spare horses, raise the children, and only rape the homes for good booze?  ;D

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: December 17, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »

Inofficially. They're both fan nicknames.  :P
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: December 17, 2013, 06:10:04 pm »

Oh my god, this is getting awesomer by the minute!

I can't wait to go around saying a evil force of evil is on it's way to eat everybody's hearts, rape their horses, raze their womens and steal their homes.

Oh wait...
Why can't there be nice invaders who steal everybody's hearts, eat the spare horses, raise the children, and only rape the homes for good booze?  ;D

Sounds like a nanny state coming to oppress them. Still an excuse to put them all six feet under. Or flee. Do you really want them seducing your lovers, eating your horses without paying full price for them, raising your children as loyal slaves to THEIR cause, and taking all the good beer!?

Regardless, I look forward to the day when the AI is able to come up with a good lie to mislead us. Such villainy!

Toady: Will refugee populations camping outside towns slowly disperse into that town's or other towns' populations, or will they remain there indefinitely/until the rumored force of darkness is rumored to have left?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:14:35 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PersonGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: December 17, 2013, 09:38:00 pm »

3. Come on, gunpowder? That's been suggested and debated to death and no, Toady One isn't putting in gunpowder. Though gunpowder DID exist during the time frame limit of 1400's, give or take a century. Still though, no new buildings in fort mode that we are aware of.

If you want gunpowder, I think the Masterwork mod has it?

I was suggesting possible siege weapons that existed in that period or sometime before that that would likely be useful in fortress defense and or attack and also have some weapons that also existed around or before then that would add to the game in some way.

Gunpowder weapons are the most prominent due to how many applications they had before and during the 1400s and how much they where already affecting warfare by then and why i specifically mentioned no guns was that i think they would either have to raise the tech limit and clash with the medieval games feel to make them useful for players or add a weapon that is near useless due to how most players handle their militaries(why is say this is how guns of that period where mainly good for mass conscript armies and most militaries in this game beside the elves who wouldn't touch guns have at least some focus on having an army made of dedicated soldiers that are trained and assembled during peace time with no significant military action on the horizon and generally stay there for the rest of their working life most of the time).     

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: December 17, 2013, 09:58:01 pm »

3. Come on, gunpowder? That's been suggested and debated to death and no, Toady One isn't putting in gunpowder. Though gunpowder DID exist during the time frame limit of 1400's, give or take a century. Still though, no new buildings in fort mode that we are aware of.

If you want gunpowder, I think the Masterwork mod has it?

I was suggesting possible siege weapons that existed in that period or sometime before that that would likely be useful in fortress defense and or attack and also have some weapons that also existed around or before then that would add to the game in some way.

Gunpowder weapons are the most prominent due to how many applications they had before and during the 1400s and how much they where already affecting warfare by then and why i specifically mentioned no guns was that i think they would either have to raise the tech limit and clash with the medieval games feel to make them useful for players or add a weapon that is near useless due to how most players handle their militaries(why is say this is how guns of that period where mainly good for mass conscript armies and most militaries in this game beside the elves who wouldn't touch guns have at least some focus on having an army made of dedicated soldiers that are trained and assembled during peace time with no significant military action on the horizon and generally stay there for the rest of their working life most of the time).   
There are probably more siege weapons available for the game to use, and I think Toady will add some of them, but I think it will perhaps be in the arc where we get dwarven raids.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: December 17, 2013, 10:41:40 pm »

To be quite honest, when magic (eventually) gets in the game I bet the first thing people will do is replicate gunpowder/guns with it. Or most likely something far worse. I can't exactly claim innocence here, as I'd do the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: December 17, 2013, 11:41:55 pm »

To be quite honest, when magic (eventually) gets in the game I bet the first thing people will do is replicate gunpowder/guns with it. Or most likely something far worse. I can't exactly claim innocence here, as I'd do the same.

It's in the game enough to do something like that, really.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: December 18, 2013, 01:17:34 am »

What about Dukem Nukem Forever?

Longest DF development cycle in history

Comparing DNF and DF is literally comparing apples and oranges.

As officially as it can get.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: December 18, 2013, 01:55:24 am »

As officially as it can get.
Well, I better go rename my thread, then.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: December 18, 2013, 02:03:39 am »

It's in the game enough to do something like that, really.
Tv tropes says someone created magic that can crush a lung instantly. While it would depend on what specifically you want to model (I know there are gun and gun workshop mods out there using crossbow templates), it seems likely that we could model it.

I wonder if we'll be able to make things rapid fire. Probably not, but we are still closer to a WW1 trenches mod then ever before thanks to climbing and jumping.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 748