Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806568 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8340 on: December 16, 2013, 03:25:59 pm »

As part of the tavern arc, can we expect to see better detailed and possibly less dedicated motivations of adventurers and monster hunters? I know that companions are now a bit less faithful, which should be fun. Will there be hidden cities?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: December 16, 2013, 04:32:53 pm »

As part of the tavern arc, can we expect to see better detailed and possibly less dedicated motivations of adventurers and monster hunters? I know that companions are now a bit less faithful, which should be fun. Will there be hidden cities?

Do you mean AI adventurers or player adventurers?  AI adventurers don't really exist yet.

What kind of hidden cities do you have in mind?  There are already large ruins.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:40:38 pm by Footkerchief »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: December 16, 2013, 04:36:46 pm »

Do you mean AI adventurers or player adventurers?  Those don't really exist.

I'd assume something like Gondolin from the Silmarillion, which would be cool to see obviously. Probably not going to happen in a long while though :>

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: December 16, 2013, 04:43:13 pm »

I'd assume something like Gondolin from the Silmarillion, which would be cool to see obviously. Probably not going to happen in a long while though :>

Bang on. The AI does have "wanderers of the wild", though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:51:39 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8344 on: December 16, 2013, 04:55:11 pm »

Nail on the head. The AI does have "wanderers of the wild", though.

Except that you can't randomly run into them out in the wilds, not that there is a high chance of running into one.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: December 16, 2013, 05:52:55 pm »

To which i say, soon.
Reading a thinner book

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8346 on: December 16, 2013, 06:49:55 pm »

What I want more detail on is how exactly the passage of time outside of fortress mode and between forts is going to work exactly.

Will there be wars and stuff going on outside our fortress? So that if the King of our civ dies outside the fort then it'll eventually descend to the point where our own mayor or whatever is spontaneously elected king?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: December 16, 2013, 06:55:13 pm »

What I want more detail on is how exactly the passage of time outside of fortress mode and between forts is going to work exactly.

Will there be wars and stuff going on outside our fortress? So that if the King of our civ dies outside the fort then it'll eventually descend to the point where our own mayor or whatever is spontaneously elected king?

This is what every devlog since, oh, June 6 2012 has been about. Read up ;)

To answer the succession question:

Entity position succession (and the filling of open positions) is underway. It'll recognize when succession is necessary and try to schedule things effectively, and I set up a claim system so that there can theoretically be more than one person that says that they hold a given civilization's position (three dwarven counts vying for an open monarch position, for example). Competing claims don't have a resolution yet, and I need to work out appointment lists properly. I probably need to further specify some of the positions in the raws as well, since we don't want things like bookkeepers in every hill dwarf site.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:53:21 pm by Putnam »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: December 17, 2013, 10:12:50 am »

Oh my god, this is getting awesomer by the minute!

I can't wait to go around saying a evil force of evil is on it's way to eat everybody's hearts, rape their horses, raze their womens and steal their homes.

Oh wait...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: December 17, 2013, 11:29:24 am »

I know it's always a lost cause, but... Toady, as there has to be more and more dialogue options, would it be reasonable to have Threetoe write the dialogue? Since he's the writer and all. And you're already working together, so it's not exactly like expanding your team.

Also, these devlogs are made of awesome.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8350 on: December 17, 2013, 11:55:39 am »

Am I the only one who read today's devlog and thought "Dwarf Fortress: Darfur"?

Or would that be Dwarfur?

I'm a bad person :-[

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:44 am »

Am I the only one who read today's devlog and thought "Dwarf Fortress: Darfur"?

Or would that be Dwarfur?

I'm a bad person :-[

I didn't think that, though I did think it could spiral out of control.

Also, considering the size of those camps, if a large number of villages, or even an entire town goes to one, 'ARG, THE LAG!' Unless they are a different size from bandit camps.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:59:44 am by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8352 on: December 17, 2013, 02:09:17 pm »

I know it's always a lost cause, but... Toady, as there has to be more and more dialogue options, would it be reasonable to have Threetoe write the dialogue? Since he's the writer and all. And you're already working together, so it's not exactly like expanding your team.

I'm pretty sure that ThreeToe has always written some of the dialogue, although I only have writing style to go on.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: December 17, 2013, 02:46:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure that ThreeToe has always written some of the dialogue, although I only have writing style to go on.
You can see some of the dialogue from the game out of Threetoe's stories - specifically Bride Price, where the kobold taunts with ""Behold human scum! I am Bacabadabis! Slayer of Terrance, whose beer mug decorates my throne room!" which is similar to the taunts by minotaurs, cyclops, etc. 

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: December 17, 2013, 03:03:57 pm »

So chances are that most immigrants that come to a fort would be refugees now? Huh. Guess they should have taken their chances and stayed home given some forts...

Wait - If a rumor that an army is heading for a site can cause the population in that site to leave, could a similar rumor that involves your fort also affect it the same way if some dwarves do not feel safe enough?
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 748