Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807031 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8280 on: December 12, 2013, 01:00:57 pm »

Plenty of good work here! Looks like the last few days had more work than we have seen in a long time, probably since June or so.

I submit that the frequency and verbosity of the devlogs doesn't necessarily reflect the amount of work being done.  In fact, often Toady writes a lot when he's just planning a new feature.  I like reading the devlog, but I'm also glad that our perspective on Toady's work is inherently limited -- it works out much better for everyone's long-term sanity (c.f. the List leading up to the 2010 release).

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: December 12, 2013, 01:10:40 pm »

Plenty of good work here! Looks like the last few days had more work than we have seen in a long time, probably since June or so.

I submit that the frequency and verbosity of the devlogs doesn't necessarily reflect the amount of work being done.  In fact, often Toady writes a lot when he's just planning a new feature.  I like reading the devlog, but I'm also glad that our perspective on Toady's work is inherently limited -- it works out much better for everyone's long-term sanity (c.f. the List leading up to the 2010 release).

When he does tests with the features he implemented he usually have something funny or interesting to tell.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: December 12, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »

Will adventurers be able to reclaim abandoned fortresses for their Civ through capturing the main building, such as a keep or mead hall? When goblins capture a dwarf fortress, is the site map converted to a goblin fortress template and vice versa? How long does this take? Will players be able to embark on recently conquered sites?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: December 12, 2013, 02:03:48 pm »

I've got a few questions, so I'll try to keep this concise. If I have this right, there are now three sorts of site conflicts:

*The goblin invasions and resultant insurrections, which are lethal combat.

*The harassment based village raids we heard about earlier, which are non-lethal/brawling.

*These new village raids, where the winner captures the site in question. (I'm not sure if these are lethal or not?)

Is that right? If so,

*Where do the old worldgen battles fit into all this? Do they take place during worldgen alongside these other types of conflict, or have these conflicts replaces them?

*What happens when a player starts stabbing enemies during a non-lethal raid?

*How do beaten enemies decide whether to flee into banditry or yield into servitude? Is it based on attributes?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:05:37 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: December 12, 2013, 02:20:48 pm »

I think that battles are still abstracted so far. Don't quote me on that, I'm not sure but I seem to recall Toady saying he hasn't touched that yet.

As for the what happens if you stab somebody in the middle of a non-lethal whatever, I think it either escalates or the other people flee in terror depending either on attributes or a decision making process.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: December 12, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »

Oh man, I might actually start this release in adventure mode. Unheard of.
If we retire an adventurer who is head of an entity, Will they still be able to migrate to one of our later fortresses? If so, does that give our fortress a stake in said entity?

That's a really good question! I'd love to hear the answer to that, myself. :D

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: December 12, 2013, 03:38:02 pm »

Someone out there who wants to sum up the recent devlogs? I really love daily devlogs but Today it is definitly a TL;DR. Nevertheless, I hope Toady continues doing it  ;)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: December 12, 2013, 04:08:55 pm »

Allright, what I can tell from them is that:

• you can make claims on towns
  • these claims have no effect unless you have the main building
  • you dont have to kill everyone, and can have the old ruler continue to rule in your stead
  • And that leaving the town can cause you to loose it via uprisings and invasions
Oh, and that with the AI on they have lotsa wars, even from simple religious things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: December 12, 2013, 04:34:51 pm »

Oh, and that with the AI on they have lotsa wars, even from simple religious things.

Well, maybe it's not Warhammer 40.000 in that sense. The religion example was more of an exception than a rule, and as I understood, it happened because the differences were pretty extreme. Usually, if there are no goblins or radical menaces, then people might lead seldomly rambunctious lives.

Quote from: Toady One, 12/11/2013
I turned on the in-play AI for site leaders (just humans for now), coupling the stuff goblins and bandits were already doing with some of the considerations from world gen (like site disputes and the qualities of leaders). The result for a medium world was an addition of three dozen village raids right at the outset, on top of the existing goblin invasions, including one corner of the map where the village leader worshipping Mirding Fairwaves, the goddess of the sun, the sky, light and day was fighting with the leader of another village that worshipped the Scraped Webs, god of night and nightmares. Normally their shared culture can keep a lid on that sort of thing, but the opposition was so fundamental and the faith so strong that it didn't even take any generic land disputes to set off hostilities. I guess while I'm working on this part, I should be happy to accept a bunch of villagers beating each other up for their zealot leaders as our randomized version of an epic battle between light and dark. In any case, direct player participation in such trouble should be coming soon.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: December 12, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »

Realized, probably should have made that more clear...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: December 12, 2013, 05:02:03 pm »

What happens if you attack the leader of one of your retired fortresses? Can you claim it with your adventurer? Can you claim dwarven fortresses at all?
If so,

Will there be some variation there, or will the dwarves from retired fortresses always be the more loyal types who will try very hard to kill your adventurer before surrendering?

What complications would occour from doing something like dethroning a dwarven king? Is that going to be possible? I imagine you would be able to take the dwarven capital by killing a whole bunch of people and making the king yield to you. But what happens then? Is it possible for your adventurer to aquire the title of king if he conquers enough dwarven settlements?

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: December 12, 2013, 06:01:15 pm »

What complications would occour from doing something like dethroning a dwarven king? Is that going to be possible? I imagine you would be able to take the dwarven capital by killing a whole bunch of people and making the king yield to you. But what happens then? Is it possible for your adventurer to aquire the title of king if he conquers enough dwarven settlements?[/color]

I think he's not handling player title acquisition for this release, as there wouldn't be anything for the player to do with the authority of the titles yet.

Anyway, Fearless Toady One,

Will the new site claim system allow player characters (/and their gangs?) to retire and live out of places like caves and lairs (that is, without "giving in to starvation")? When can we reasonably expect to be able to coax people to start living at sites we capture? "Find a new life in my goblin fortress! Don't mind the goblin bones. And the trolls. Oh, and bring food."
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: December 12, 2013, 09:03:45 pm »

Holy balls, best devlog EVER. I was just gonna roll an adventurer and check out the mysterious demon(?) sites first thing, but I might have to pull an Old West "We run this town!" thing instead.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: December 12, 2013, 09:09:44 pm »

So we can take over towns as adventurers now?

If so there will probably be a "conquer the world" challenge: Fastest to world dominion on a given save.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: December 12, 2013, 09:43:58 pm »

Holy balls, best devlog EVER. I was just gonna roll an adventurer and check out the mysterious demon(?) sites first thing, but I might have to pull an Old West "We run this town!" thing instead.
Why not both? Claim the demon site.
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 748