Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805987 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7980 on: November 13, 2013, 12:05:09 am »

Quote from: devlog
11/12/2013 Toady One More list, more stuff, more continuing along with. I cleaned up various starting paragraph and character background paragraph stuff, added some more conversation text, moved monster quests over to the new information system, moved bartering over to the new converstation system (in part, you still get to do the transaction itself automatically), that kind of thing. Yet another indexing error has been causing demons to get murdered in world gen way too often for quite some time, and that has been corrected.

I think the information system, especially the transfer of information between people, is one of the cooler overarching features in the upcoming version.  I pulled together some quotes on the topic for anyone else who's interested:

Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

Also, I found a more direct answer for this:

You know, with the new history continuing along after worldgen, will we recieve reports of events from merchants or even migrants? I'm just wondering since new events will happen outside of the fort while in fort mode. So, basically, will we be able to get news or rumors speaking of events in the mountainhomes or in foriegn lands, both in fortress and adventure mode?

It would be cool if we could and it'd add to the immersion.

Also, I suppose eventually the Dwarves (or someone) would have to invent the postal system or something.

Yes:
Rainseeker:   Is the goal to have news get to you, so you can be aware that this might happen to you in the next year or two, that there's been a dragon that's being laying waste to the countryside and it might come by?
Toady:   It has to update you somehow, and it's got to mesh in with what we're hoping to do with your own armies eventually, which means showing you some kind of world map or of the surroundings or whatever that you're going to be able to use to order your armies. We haven't thought about it too much but if it's going to give you, like, a snapshot of the world as you currently understand it and then the next time a merchant comes you get to update your snapshot or whatever ... then it can give you the same paragraph or a related paragraph that it gives you at the beginning of adventure mode, so that it would tell you about what's going on a little bit.

Quote from: Aseaheru
For a limited legends screen, will it be something you need to talk to caravans for,with each caravan providing different info, thereby also promoting trade or will there be something else? i think it might be cool to see my dwarves talking to caravan guards and learning that say, a king has a new lover or something. you know, gossip.
Quote from: tahujdt
With history progressing even during Fortress Mode, would we see a diplomat coming to tell us that all of the immediate royal family were killed during the "Siege of Pointy Sticks", and the only living heir is a potash maker in the fort? That would be interesting.
Quote from: Escapism
Will there be any kind of conduit of information from the rest of the world to your fort regarding succession and army activities? Asking caravans or diplomats for news etc.

If so, will that information be useful? Being able to predict imminent goblin attacks because a nearby village was recently razed, for instance.
Quote from: darklord92
If so will it be through the liason? replacing one of the "you've carved a fine place for yourself" dialogues with some news of what is going on in the world?

I've always liked the idea of learning actually information from the visitors to your fortress, but I've never been able to move on it because nothing happened in the world post world-gen.  Now that some things actually happen in the world, we can move toward this, but it might not happen for this time.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:10:12 am by Footkerchief »

Rinin_Rus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: November 13, 2013, 01:35:47 pm »

Did you consider escape-pathfinding improvements? I mean Dwarf running away from entrance into an impregnable fortress, because another tile is few centimeters farther from forgotten beast, doesn't prove his "great analytical abilities"
He has a lot of willpower,  but he has very little linguistic ability

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: November 13, 2013, 01:52:49 pm »

Will dwarves, goblins, and modded subterranean civilizations have the same day/night sleep schedule as humans in adventure mode?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: November 13, 2013, 02:17:09 pm »

Did you consider escape-pathfinding improvements? I mean Dwarf running away from entrance into an impregnable fortress, because another tile is few centimeters farther from forgotten beast, doesn't prove his "great analytical abilities"

This is unchanged in the upcoming version.  As for the future, Toady knows it's a feature people want:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111607.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58921.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70163.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85588.0

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: November 14, 2013, 12:28:38 pm »

So it occurred to me...
Is it possible yet to create custom slabs and signs, instead of only having the option to engrave the names and achievements of the deceased?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: November 14, 2013, 02:52:09 pm »

So it occurred to me...
Is it possible yet to create custom slabs and signs, instead of only having the option to engrave the names and achievements of the deceased?

Unless there's any indication Toady has worked on this, it's safe to assume the answer is no.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: November 15, 2013, 11:44:30 am »

Just to take advantage of your omniscience Footkerchief, what's the current plan when it comes to inherited names?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: November 15, 2013, 11:55:25 am »

Lol scoops.

I don't think Toady has mentioned anything about that, however, if he does do inherited names (not talking about royal titles or nobility here), I hope he varies it by having some dwarven civ cultures do it matrilineally or patrilineally.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: November 15, 2013, 01:14:49 pm »

Just to take advantage of your omniscience Footkerchief, what's the current plan when it comes to inherited names?

Quote from: DFTalk 20
Threetoe:   Ok, so, we have a couple of questions from Ironbad and Isaacflashman, asks about inheriting surnames, so 'Will the children inherit the last names of their parents?'
Toady:   So this is a pretty popular thing, I think probably because of fort mode where you can't tell who's related to who and that kind of thing. I don't remember what the reason we hadn't done it is, if we just haven't setup the raws for it, or we wanted to support different systems, or we wanted to wait for the names to support different systems, or whatever. Technically speaking, we're all for having that kind of thing, being able to tell what families people are from, and so on. It's not necessarily the case that there'll always be family names and surnames, that's not present in all cultures, especially the further back in time you go. A lot of people just didn't have family names, they were just like 'I'm John from this city' and that was what they called themselves, they didn't really have a surname. But, just keeping our options open and having that kind of thing at some point maybe more in fort mode, or more for dwarves, just because it seems to ...
Threetoe:   It's just cool ...
Toady:   Yeah, I think for dwarves it would be more fun to see the families join each other and ... I don't know if dwarves have clans or whatever, I mean people think of them in different ways and we haven't really thought about it too deeply, but yeah, I think it would be cool to put a system in for dwarf mode and just raw-ify it and people can turn it off if they don't like it or whatever. I think we will do that. Both of them asked if it's coming in with the new succession stuff and it's not coming in at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: November 15, 2013, 01:38:44 pm »

^^^ That pretty much covers it, the only other thing I found was an older quote from DF Talk 6:
Capntastic:   Will there be traditions for naming children, will they be named ... all dwarves that are female have specifically female names, will they be named after historical figures that are not adventurers, will they be named after popular kings and queens and suchlike? Will they be named after the favoured food of a country? All that fun stuff, have a bunch of dwarves named Rummy McGin.
Toady:   Yeah, or Plump Helmet McWhiskey.
Capntastic:   Someone's going to register on the forum with that name.
Toady:   Yeah. So I know you mentioned the adventure mode one because that's the one we kind of harp on about right, it's like 'people will be able to name their children after you later', but the general thing is that we wouldn't implement it that way because it would be kind of weird for them to specifically single out adventurers. So once that goes in they'd use historical figures and so on. There's been a lot of discussion about passing down family names and so on, people are kind of upset sometimes when they have a fortress for a while and the dwarves have babies and the babies just have completely unrelated names, that's just something that hasn't gotten in, but it'll go in as soon as we figure out what dwarves like to do, or what procedural stuff needs to be generated there. As for male versus female names, I don't have - kind of like the passing down of names - I don't have systems there but it's certainly something that I think should be supported and people are interested in having that kind of separation as well. I'm not sure what dwarves would think about that, we know humans often do it and when it's done it's not always a strict split, there are just ones that are rarely used for certain genders; would you want specific name lists if you want to set them up yourself, or just have the game choose them, for no reason it puts half here and half here, or should it put names that are of a certain symbol type - there's the symbols like flowery, violent, ones that have to do with agriculture or whatever - it might, based on the symbol , put names in certain categories. So there's a lot of different ways to do it, and we're thinking of doing stuff with that, but I'm not sure when. I think it's something that would reflect the world a bit more, I don't know if anyone's ever offended by this stuff either, if there are things like that put in. Right now we have no sexual dimorphism for instance with dwarves or even humans, people tend to prefer that kind of thing and it's an extra step to put it in anyway so I'm just lazy about it but yeah in general we're going to do more with that, and it should turn out well.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:44:44 pm by Footkerchief »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: November 15, 2013, 02:08:21 pm »

As it turns out, there is no community member with the handle Plump Helmet McWhiskey.

Yet.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: November 15, 2013, 05:22:58 pm »

Thanks everyone, i knew you'd find something Footkerchief.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: November 15, 2013, 05:31:53 pm »

Will low lethal fighting be easy to abuse as a way to gain skills quickly in adventure mode? I could see how easy it would be to safely gain legendary combat skills just roughhousing with random peasants for a short period of time, if you haven't set up anything to avoid rapid skill growth in those situations. 

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: November 15, 2013, 05:56:26 pm »

Naturally someone would get better at combat from practice. You don't have to be going for a kill to get better. It balances itself out when you get arrested for going around starting fights, and then probably escalates if you resist the authorities.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: November 15, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »

Naturally someone would get better at combat from practice. You don't have to be going for a kill to get better. It balances itself out when you get arrested for going around starting fights, and then probably escalates if you resist the authorities.

The thing is, if low lethal fighthing works the same way is it does in dwarf mode, it would be way too safe for you to reach absurdly high skill levels just by "lightly tapping" your adversaries a few hundred times in adventure mode. I know there are ways to abuse combat right now, by harassing weak creatures with training weapons, etc. But "practice combat" in adventure mode could possibly add a whole new level to how easy it is to min/max your charachter from the get go.
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 748