Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805828 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7965 on: November 09, 2013, 08:34:43 pm »

11/09/2013  The list is being continued along with. I ran through some kidnap rescues and added various conversation bits to allow you to know where to go to reunite them with their relatives and so on, and set up the companion agreement for that case, so they know why they are with you and when they should leave. I also made world animal populations restore themselves slowly (including the local populations in fort mode), handled non-historical population management for sites, respected the world pop cap for historical figure conceptions, and fixed an indexing error that has apparently been around for years involving families not being placed together in buildings (I noticed when I returned a child to a town and the parents were living in different houses).

PRAISE THE LORD! Extinction problems should be lessened. Does this also mean we will be able to fish in the caverns?
Sounds like good news for those of us who like a certain small carnivorous race.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: November 09, 2013, 11:33:37 pm »

Seems to be getting into suggestion territory.

A little, but the main thing here is not 'I want this in the game' but rather the implication that the line between lethal and non-lethat combat is not clear-cut and I wanted to know how Toady is thinking of tackling it, if at all. But you have a fair point, I'll reformulate the question:

There are certain situations where you can't really call it lethal or non-lethal combat, like when bandits attack you in a lethal way but only so much because their leader called dibs on the final blow to take you out, or you attacked an animal lethaly and it returned the favor but isn't really set on killing you and flees as soon as it considers you incapacitated or something. Did you consider scenarios like these when you made the distinction between lethal and non-lethal combat? Or are you planning on blurring this line further in the future when the time is right?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: November 09, 2013, 11:39:18 pm »

Currently the levels are: horseplay, training, brawl, non-lethal, lethal and no quarter.  If a person is in a lethal conflict they are in the mindset that quarter will probably be given to them and so that yielding is an option they might attempt successfully.  They'll take any opportunity to kill their opponent and don't alter their attack choices, but they won't attack a yielded opponent (I don't remember if they attack unconcious opponents or just deprioritize them).  The only way a yielded lethal conflict opponent realizes that you are shifting up to no quarter is if you initiate an attack on them.  If they manage to block or dodge the attack, they'll jump up to no quarter and won't try to yield again, and they will ignore your attempts to yield.  That last part might be up for argument, since it should depend on some factors, but that's how it works right now.  Moreover, anybody in the conflict will shift up to no quarter.  Due to technical constraints, that part isn't based on vision or anything -- there'd be a huge fragmentation of conflicts if it had to check everybody in relation to everybody else, but hopefully at some point I'll be able to introduce an element of confusion and uncertainty to the AI there.

The distinction between brawl and non-lethal is currently conceptualized as say, the difference between a "fun" bar-fight and a fight where people are coming just short of killing each other (perhaps some level of street crime, say).  If you pounded somebody's face until they were unconscious or broke their joint, the participants in a "brawl" might be very unhappy with how far you took things.  Perhaps the lines there could be guided by civ ethics, though.  There's room to move.  I haven't accounted at all yet for things like contests, where rules could get arbitrarily obscure.

I haven't put the "play attack" stuff back in, so escalation there aren't handled, and I haven't handled training weapons yet, and I'm not sure I will yet outside of dwarf mode.  Other items will be considered a lethal escalation, and we'll have to work in escalations over time.  It depends on how the later bar brawl furniture and stuff ends up working...  it might be tough getting a balance there, since the escalation of breaking a chair over somebody really depends on the chair.

They don't understand not using a weapon in terms of a show of confidence, and if they are attacking you with a sword, presumably they have a reason to kill you at that point.  There will definitely be some adjustments after we have some time to mess around with this.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: November 09, 2013, 11:42:33 pm »

PRAISE THE LORD! Extinction problems should be lessened. Does this also mean we will be able to fish in the caverns?

Underground fishing has a different bug that probably hasn't been fixed, although it's been extensively diagnosed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: November 10, 2013, 12:18:17 am »

11/09/2013  The list is being continued along with. I ran through some kidnap rescues and added various conversation bits to allow you to know where to go to reunite them with their relatives and so on, and set up the companion agreement for that case, so they know why they are with you and when they should leave. I also made world animal populations restore themselves slowly (including the local populations in fort mode), handled non-historical population management for sites, respected the world pop cap for historical figure conceptions, and fixed an indexing error that has apparently been around for years involving families not being placed together in buildings (I noticed when I returned a child to a town and the parents were living in different houses).

Also, Will fish populations no longer become permanently extinct (as opposed to just locally extinct)? Sure, they can be overfished, but if you don't fish for a few years, will the vermin fish restock themselves?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: November 10, 2013, 02:20:47 am »

Toady, when animal populations are being restocked, is there a specific cap to the maximum population for that species, such as capping it at the numbers you can find exported to a world_sites_and_pops file, or can the population grow beyond that to a point? For instance, if a region immediately after world generation had exactly 8 moose, and you killed 4 of them and then allowed them to repopulate, would the population raise back up to 8 and then remain there, or could the population continue on climbing?

If the population can rise above that listed immediately after worldgen, then what determines how large that population can grow? Do predator populations (including civilizations) in the region affect other species' population caps?

Also, do tags like LITTERSIZE and other reproduction-related tags that take effect in fortress mode affect how quickly region populations refresh themselves?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: November 10, 2013, 11:27:56 am »

Will human outsiders (and their backstory) be given some love when adventure mode personalities and roleplaying comes around? It is effectively the self-insert option, and as such seems one of the best options to allow deliberate character design, though if treated as a genuine self-insert outsider (not knowing the languages, the history, blah- maybe a backstory) that may not scratch the same itch as a true inhabitant of the world who is conveniently just like me.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:15:24 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: November 10, 2013, 11:36:59 am »

I wonder if children automatically know where they're from regardless of what age they were taken at. Or if their parents have moved in the meantime. Children - now with the all new homing function.
Love, scriver~

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: November 10, 2013, 02:56:00 pm »

The answer is most likely no but: Toady did you respect the genetics of the remaining animals to seed the new generations? Will migrating animals seep in from other far out places? Say if a village kills the local wolf-population you get wolves from the outside?

Also with regeneration populations predation should be possible now without drawbacks. Natural nests for birds would be cool now too.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: November 10, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »

Will human outsiders be given some love when adventure mode personalities and roleplaying comes around? It is effectively the self-insert option, and as such seems one of the best options to allow deliberate character design, though if treated as a genuine self-insert outsider (not knowing the languages, the history, blah- maybe a backstory) that may not scratch the same itch as a true inhabitant of the world who is conveniently just like me.

This was discussed extensively in DF Talk 6:
Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: November 11, 2013, 12:56:17 pm »

Will human outsiders be given some love when adventure mode personalities and roleplaying comes around? It is effectively the self-insert option, and as such seems one of the best options to allow deliberate character design, though if treated as a genuine self-insert outsider (not knowing the languages, the history, blah- maybe a backstory) that may not scratch the same itch as a true inhabitant of the world who is conveniently just like me.

This was discussed extensively in DF Talk 6:
Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

Thank you very much, though the question still stands. The example key event system sounds like suspension of disbelief would be the big thing, especially when it comes to ethics and so on.
Reading a thinner book

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: November 11, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »

Thank you very much, though the question still stands. The example key event system sounds like suspension of disbelief would be the big thing, especially when it comes to ethics and so on.

Here's the question again:
Will human outsiders be given some love when adventure mode personalities and roleplaying comes around?

It's a tricky question because it assumes that "personalities and roleplaying" is the feature that's definitely coming, while "character design" is less certain.  That seems backwards.  Character design is one of roleplaying's many aspects.  Toady has expressed strong support for character design, so it's a good bet that it will be implemented, but as usual, no timeline (it's not on the near-term dev page that I could find).  Other aspects of roleplaying, like forcing the player to act in accordance with their personality, aren't as guaranteed.

Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what you mean by "personalities and roleplaying."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:32:07 pm by Footkerchief »

Proterus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:26 pm »

Can you create the option for us to specify which type of plant to brew or mill. For example brew sweet pods, mill dimple cups.

Basically I've been wanting to create one farm plot for all of my alcohol production and produce rum, beer, ale, wine. And then another for dimple cups and pig tails for my clothing industry.  Problem is I can never really get my still to produce the right kind of alcohol to get near equal amounts of each type of alcohol.  I also ended up making sugar instead of dye and having no sweet pods for rum and no bags to mill my dimple cups and then you don't get the spawns for the dimple cups and it disrupts the whole process.

Now I know I can possibly workaround this with smart stockpile management, that only seems to work so well and needs to be reconfigured if I want to occasionally make flour or something.  In any event I think everyone would agree that the process to achieve the results you want is way too cumbersome.   So I ask that we be able to specify what we want to brew or mill.  This seems like something that could be changed with minimal effort on your part.

Edit: sorry misread the original post and posted a suggestion here when you specifically told us that we shouldn't do that.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:00 am »

This is essentially "Workshop Material Use and Specific Object Construction" from the dev page. So, it's planned, but we're not sure when it will come in. It's the third of the Eternal Suggestion Vote items, but given that job priorities (fifth) will get attention post-release/post-bugfix period as they tie into Toady's recent work, their order doesn't seem important anymore.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: November 12, 2013, 12:14:36 pm »

Here's the question again:
Will human outsiders be given some love when adventure mode personalities and roleplaying comes around?

It's a tricky question because it assumes that "personalities and roleplaying" is the feature that's definitely coming, while "character design" is less certain.  That seems backwards.  Character design is one of roleplaying's many aspects.  Toady has expressed strong support for character design, so it's a good bet that it will be implemented, but as usual, no timeline (it's not on the near-term dev page that I could find).  Other aspects of roleplaying, like forcing the player to act in accordance with their personality, aren't as guaranteed.

Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what you mean by "personalities and roleplaying."

Ah. I suppose I'm more interested in the backstory/roleplaying and gameplay aspects of being a human outsider. Are you from a lost civilization, a traveler from another world, an amnesiac, a tool of the gods, someone absorbed by D.F 1.0 etc. Presumably you also don't know anything about the world, and will need to learn the basics. Thanks for reminding me, I'll edit the question.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 748