Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808746 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7365 on: September 01, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »

I think I started following DF sometime around 2008, maybe earlier. It demands a lot of dedication from both players and creator, but it gives a lot in return. I'm quite happy to be watching the process and see the players apply their twisted imaginations and !!SCIENCE!! to every new feature as they come.

I don't think I'd want to mess with the formula so far. If this was Toady's day job, where he's paid to be creative, he'd probably be able to devote more time and get updates out quicker and with more polish, but on the negative side, predetermined deadlines and executive meddling could have the opposite effect, leaving us with buggy rush jobs. Er, buggier than what we've already got, and probably in much less entertaining ways.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: September 01, 2013, 12:27:11 pm »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: September 01, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »

As long as there are people who pay him enough to help him doing his job without having to think to anything else, that's fine.

I find this comforting that he is able to give us a deadline. He never did it before.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7368 on: September 01, 2013, 02:35:50 pm »

Do you have a job other than working on this for us? Does that mean your income is or isn't totally reliant on our donations?
(I'd better donate...)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: September 01, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »

Do you have a job other than working on this for us? Does that mean your income is or isn't totally reliant on our donations?
(I'd better donate...)
No, he works on DF full-time.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: September 01, 2013, 02:49:52 pm »

Shoot, I really do need to see if I can at least buy him at least one more lunch, then.
Having a little trouble locating my card, though. Suggestions where to look?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: September 01, 2013, 02:54:10 pm »

I know, but damn.
I've been regularly following the thing since, what, November 2012?

Anyway, I know that it is complex, and I can see why the updates take so long.
But still, by that point Toady probably surpassed everyone's guesstimates (from one point or the other).

Also, mid-November, IIRC, is not even the actual date of release (but rather the point at which Toady expects to be finished with the notes for this update).

I must say that's really ridiculous. November? Seriously?

As it is now, are we going to have backwards compatibility for bringing over old saves of Dwarf Fortress, or is that going to be completely broken?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: September 01, 2013, 02:56:36 pm »

It's broken.

Also, what do you mean ridiculous?

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: September 01, 2013, 03:13:18 pm »

Ridiculously optimistic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: September 01, 2013, 03:16:04 pm »

Was hoping to have the next fotf reply up around now, but it'll be a few days late.  I should still have the B12 report up in bit.

You Betrayed us Toady You betrayed us!!!

TOADY ONE!!! *Shakes fist into the heavens*

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7375 on: September 01, 2013, 05:10:43 pm »

I know, but damn.
I've been regularly following the thing since, what, November 2012?

Anyway, I know that it is complex, and I can see why the updates take so long.
But still, by that point Toady probably surpassed everyone's guesstimates (from one point or the other).

Also, mid-November, IIRC, is not even the actual date of release (but rather the point at which Toady expects to be finished with the notes for this update).

I must say that's really ridiculous. November? Seriously?

As it is now, are we going to have backwards compatibility for bringing over old saves of Dwarf Fortress, or is that going to be completely broken?

As far as I know Toady has never bothered with backward compatibility for the major releases (?). Besides, would you really want to wait another month or more just to use an old and probably buggy save when you can just regen? ^^

Thomar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: September 01, 2013, 09:10:45 pm »

What happens if the player loses a fight by being knocked unconscious before he can yield? Will the attacker beat the player until his skull caves in? Will the player wake up in an alleyway later in the day with bruises and a splitting headache?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7377 on: September 01, 2013, 09:31:59 pm »

And so DF2013 continues to be the most delayed Dwarf Fortress version to date.
Wonder if we'll get it this year or should be start talking about DF2014?

According to my 40d folder's release notes (pretty sure that was the last 40d version, wiki suggests it to be so)
Release notes for 0.28.181.40d (September 6, 2008)

The subsequent version was the April 1st DF2010 release. Wait period of 572 days.

Latest current version of DF was released on June 4 2012, aka 423 days since last release. Thus, we have 149 days before this becomes the longest interversion period of DF history. That means Toady has to release before December 28th to come in below that threshold.

All I want for Christmas is a new version of DF!

Oooh, not too far off. Especially if there's a ton of nasty game-breaking bugs at the end of his current notes.

As long as there are people who pay him enough to help him doing his job without having to think to anything else, that's fine.

I find this comforting that he is able to give us a deadline. He never did it before.

Deadline is probably too strong of a word; more like a "guesstimate" with the understanding that when we get to that point he'll know exactly what must be done before a release (as opposed to "work through the notes and see where we stand" like we've been doing.)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7378 on: September 01, 2013, 10:41:37 pm »

What happens if the player loses a fight by being knocked unconscious before he can yield? Will the attacker beat the player until his skull caves in? Will the player wake up in an alleyway later in the day with bruises and a splitting headache?

You'll want to color that lime green if you want Toady to answer that. It makes it stand out so Toady will notice it. And it is an interesting question.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7379 on: September 02, 2013, 12:06:04 am »

Worst case scenario, we'll be having a DF2014 instead.
I PROBABLY can wait, but school's starting and I genuinely hoped to play this release before that. :(

Now I'm kinda sad, but it's not like I can do anything with that.
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 748