Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808677 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7350 on: August 26, 2013, 06:21:32 pm »

starting situations

!!!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: August 27, 2013, 02:43:50 am »

starting situations

!!!
Just for adventure, though. It's only a slight elaboration on the current "be part of a civ or be an outsider" thing.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: August 27, 2013, 05:00:49 am »

Quote from: Toady One
You can also start as a crony for one of the town lords if you want

Can you retire your fort and then start an adventurer who is a crony of your forts leader?

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: August 27, 2013, 06:39:14 am »

You can also start as a crony for one of the town lords if you want

Can you retire your fort and then start an adventurer who is a crony of your forts leader?

Adjacent human/gob sites now squabble between themselves and each other in world gen

This seems to indicate that only human and goblin sites will be involved in local power struggles. Perhaps Toady doesn't find petty squabbling culturally appropriate for dwarves and elves. My understanding that goblin occupations were only for human sites turned out to be incorrect, though, so I might be wrong about this too.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: August 27, 2013, 07:53:31 am »

starting situations

!!!
Just for adventure, though. It's only a slight elaboration on the current "be part of a civ or be an outsider" thing.

But what an elaboration!  This new release is going to kick an unbelievable amount of butt.  This is such a cool feature in itself, I cannot think of any other game that allows  this kind of freedom in starting... Skyrim appropriately modded may allow something similar?  But not really to the same degree nor with the infinite variety of outcomes.  (Or, in my case, the singular outcome of adventurer death by boar).

The next release is huge and I can only imagine the effort required to tie all the ends together as Toady is doing now.  Whilst adding new features.  I think I might start donating for this release now to spread payments out over a few months.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: August 27, 2013, 02:22:44 pm »

Will companions now be able to find you if you lost them? Some change on their AI?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: August 27, 2013, 04:00:08 pm »

Ooh, good question, especially given the new tracking information. I don't think he's addressed it yet.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7357 on: August 27, 2013, 04:46:18 pm »

Ooh, good question, especially given the new tracking information. I don't think he's addressed it yet.
Generals return to their responsibilities after being chased out of their camp. Maybe something similar happens with all entities? They try to return to where they're supposed to be?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:48:13 pm by Parisbre56 »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: August 27, 2013, 08:50:43 pm »

I dont think ToadyOne has spoken about the AI being able to use the tracking information.

I think that would mean moving forward on the Justice Arc, which he's paused on to get this release closer to, actual release.

So, mostly likely they can't.  I wouldnt be surprised that generals /just/ know where their encampments is. They dont 'track' their way back or 'find' their way back. I wouldnt be surprise when the AI can use tracking information, or more reliant on it, that AI  Agents can get lost. Including generals.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:05 pm »

The AI will use tracking information. From the Bay 12 report of August 2012:

Yep, next up is tracking information and having goblins use it to hunt you down.  Once you've got some ways to evade them, we'll move back to getting these new features tied into the overall arc of the hero role, from hearing rumors of war to some villain exposition, since before any release is possible it'll be important to understand what is going on and where you can go.
I wonder if the game has become odd.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: August 31, 2013, 07:59:51 pm »

The AI will use tracking information. From the Bay 12 report of August 2012:
Yep, next up is tracking information and having goblins use it to hunt you down.  Once you've got some ways to evade them, we'll move back to getting these new features tied into the overall arc of the hero role, from hearing rumors of war to some villain exposition, since before any release is possible it'll be important to understand what is going on and where you can go.

And he stopped moving forward with the Hero Role and Justice Arc.  The Gobbos are the only one that does invasions at this point too.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7361 on: September 01, 2013, 04:05:01 am »

Was hoping to have the next fotf reply up around now, but it'll be a few days late.  I should still have the B12 report up in bit.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: September 01, 2013, 05:51:56 am »

Mid-November?
Jesus damn Christ.

And I thought that waiting for Team Fortress 2 or Terraria updates took long.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: September 01, 2013, 07:18:23 am »

Mid-November?
Jesus damn Christ.

And I thought that waiting for Team Fortress 2 or Terraria updates took long.

It's hard to say this and not sound like a fanboi, especially considering my signature, but I don't think you have a strong understanding of exactly how tightly tied together all this stuff is.  Toady probably spends half of his coding time (or more) simply making sure what he adds doesn't blatantly break anything else.

When he works on A, he has to work on B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, R, W, and Z in order to prevent problems.  When he works on B due to working on A, he has to do the same thing.

DF isn't a simple game, it's a world emulator.  What Toady is doing is probably fairly close to early AI system design in complexity.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: September 01, 2013, 10:55:59 am »

I know, but damn.
I've been regularly following the thing since, what, November 2012?

Anyway, I know that it is complex, and I can see why the updates take so long.
But still, by that point Toady probably surpassed everyone's guesstimates (from one point or the other).

Also, mid-November, IIRC, is not even the actual date of release (but rather the point at which Toady expects to be finished with the notes for this update).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:57:47 am by DarkDXZ »
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 748