Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808486 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7320 on: August 21, 2013, 08:29:41 am »

Will the bickering between villages be noticeable at all in Dwarf Mode?
Like refugees from occupied towns or something?

Most likely, not.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: August 21, 2013, 03:50:39 pm »

Another running question:
One interesting aspect of including "natural" abilities such as climbing and swimming as skills is that they can attach themselves to other core abilities, like strengh and endurance. It makes sense to increase strengh, stamina, etc by training your climbing or swimming skill, although as far as I can tell that doesn't happen right now with non-fighting skills. Is there a reason why running isn't getting the same treatment? It would make sense to have your endurance enhanced as you train your running "skill".  Although I could see how running is something that is much more attached to more general abilities such as strengh and agility rather than a specific skill...

the last time something like that was done we got the infamous super carps and other big fishys of 40d that could tear apart dwarfs with ease i doubt we'll get stat increases that linked to actions like that anymore.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: August 21, 2013, 03:59:12 pm »

Fish had automatic legendary swimming skill, and thus automatic Hulk strength.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: August 21, 2013, 06:02:00 pm »

Rather, they gained swimming skill, which increases strength along with it.

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: August 21, 2013, 10:19:49 pm »

also not helping matters was the fact carp bites then had 6 to 3 times the power as a unarmed dwarf punch.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:21:29 pm by AJC »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: August 22, 2013, 12:33:10 am »

Really, swimming shouldn't be an applicable skill for aquatic creatures, any more than walking/running is for land creatures.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: August 22, 2013, 01:46:55 am »

also not helping matters was the fact carp bites then had 6 to 3 times the power as a unarmed dwarf punch.

Due to their gigantic strength stats which is due to their swimming skill gains...

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: August 22, 2013, 02:59:31 am »

Due to their gigantic strength stats which is due to their swimming skill gains...
I never made that link, but now that I know that, I can feel today is going to be a good day.

Ha!

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: August 22, 2013, 10:23:45 am »

Another running question:
One interesting aspect of including "natural" abilities such as climbing and swimming as skills is that they can attach themselves to other core abilities, like strengh and endurance. It makes sense to increase strengh, stamina, etc by training your climbing or swimming skill, although as far as I can tell that doesn't happen right now with non-fighting skills. Is there a reason why running isn't getting the same treatment? It would make sense to have your endurance enhanced as you train your running "skill".  Although I could see how running is something that is much more attached to more general abilities such as strengh and agility rather than a specific skill...

the last time something like that was done we got the infamous super carps and other big fishys of 40d that could tear apart dwarfs with ease i doubt we'll get stat increases that linked to actions like that anymore.

Yeah, stat increases in earlier versions used to be very imbalanced and unreasonable, with weird things like dwarves with legendary social/managerial skills somehow becoming super strong and things like that. At least in terms of combat skills, I think we have a much more reasonable system now. Even when I get my adventurer to become a +5 legendary wrestler he's still a long way to go in order to maximise his strengh/agility in the current version. So I don't think it's so crazy to get stat increases linked to actions as long as the relationship between them is reasonably balanced. Fish could even have a fixed swimming skill, which would make sense.

And while I'll agree that there is a strong case for considering "running" as a natural skill and therefore not needed to be included in the skill list, I think the act of running could be linked to the development of certain stats. I don't remember if Toady ever said that he would ever link non-fighting skills with stat increase anymore, but it's not very unlikely considering the way they tend to reintroduce old ideas that they had to put aside for lack of time to develop them properly.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:05 am »

As memory serves, all skills raise at least one attribute.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: August 22, 2013, 06:16:54 pm »

It's a little silly, but:

The description for Dralthas indicates that they feed on the tops of tower-cap mushrooms. Now that tower-caps are large multi-tile objects, but the Draltha's are still single-tile creatures (like everything else), will the description for Dralthas change?

I suppose this taps into the greater question of how far the abstraction of large/small creatures goes, but I'm just honestly curious about the answer.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:18:31 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: August 22, 2013, 06:36:31 pm »

Or maybe they now will only eat the top of the tower caps, as (perhaps?) now that's possible? They could eat the ones right above them I guess.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: August 22, 2013, 09:00:58 pm »

It's the same problem as giraffes, so likely any solution will wait for multi-tile animals to solve both the same way.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: August 22, 2013, 11:45:07 pm »

Maybe they eat the top of tower caps that haven't grown too tall yet?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: August 23, 2013, 12:37:01 am »

Maybe they eat the top of tower caps that haven't grown too tall yet?
From an ecological standpoint, that would make sense.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 748