Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808199 times)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7260 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:35 pm »

Are there an plans to include a specific "wield" key in adventure mode? Not that [p]utting and [r]emoving weapons correctly is that difficult, but it'd sometimes be nice if the act of wielding something felt more explicit ("wield sword in right hand" vs. "remove sword from backpack and thus wield in right hand").

Will it be possible to take control of living fortresses that the player didn't initially create, or is it limited to what the player has started and retired?
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: August 07, 2013, 09:56:18 pm »

The first is kinda suggestiony, the second has been mentioned as being planned.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: August 07, 2013, 11:45:20 pm »

I don't think Toady has said that the player will be able to control active generated mountainhomes; all I know is that he said that the player will be able to reclaim the ruins of fortresses that fell during world gen.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: August 07, 2013, 11:48:42 pm »

Oh, yeah, didn't really see the "living" there.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: August 08, 2013, 12:54:57 am »

No, I'm pretty sure reclaim applies to worldgen active forts too; it's just like reclaiming a retired fort, and that was mentioned in the dev log in the same sentence last time it was mentioned.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: August 08, 2013, 02:17:14 pm »

Are there an plans to include a specific "wield" key in adventure mode? Not that [p]utting and [r]emoving weapons correctly is that difficult, but it'd sometimes be nice if the act of wielding something felt more explicit ("wield sword in right hand" vs. "remove sword from backpack and thus wield in right hand").

I think there are plans for being able to put away your weapon and take it back out again if things get tense for this release.  I do not know if there is a specific key for wielding or how it will work.  I do not have the time right now to hunt down the answer.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: August 08, 2013, 03:38:52 pm »

I think there are plans for being able to put away your weapon and take it back out again if things get tense for this release.  I do not know if there is a specific key for wielding or how it will work.  I do not have the time right now to hunt down the answer.

There will be a specific key for quickly strapping your weapons. There won't be specific items for it like scabbards or sashes this time around:

I haven't done the items yet.  For now I've just added a fast "strap" option that lets you put your items away and take them out with one keypress.  Later it'll be tied to objects.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: August 08, 2013, 10:55:43 pm »

I was actually thinking of something like making [w] be a combined [w]ear/[w]ield (with perhaps a second screen if the item you want to wear/wield, e.g. high boots or axes, can be worn/held by multiple body parts), but this strapping option sounds cool too. I've completely forgotten that weapons have scabbards and such in real life :P .
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: August 09, 2013, 01:42:43 am »

I'm going to interpret the slow pace of devlogs lately as the quiet before a release because it makes me happy to think that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dazenith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: August 09, 2013, 02:34:09 am »

Are there going to be flavors for food like spicy, sweet, etc. with preferences for specific flavors?

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: August 09, 2013, 04:43:35 am »

Are there going to be flavors for food like spicy, sweet, etc. with preferences for specific flavors?

probably at some point in the future, but probably not with the next release: an overhaul of the farming and food system is planned, however nothing going in that direction has been mentioned as being worked on with the exception of the addition of some new things like fruit, which dont differ from plump helmets very much, concerning consumption, for the time being. once work on this gets done, realism will, as always, be the main guideline with deviations only when the gameplay profits from them.

please use 'limegreen' and not just 'green'. always read the first post of a thread before replying, that should be common courtesy. (not just you, im not trying to be mean, it just bothers me a lot)

Dazenith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: August 09, 2013, 05:07:35 am »

probably at some point in the future, but probably not with the next release: an overhaul of the farming and food system is planned, however nothing going in that direction has been mentioned as being worked on with the exception of the addition of some new things like fruit, which dont differ from plump helmets very much, concerning consumption, for the time being. once work on this gets done, realism will, as always, be the main guideline with deviations only when the gameplay profits from them.

please use 'limegreen' and not just 'green'. always read the first post of a thread before replying, that should be common courtesy. (not just you, im not trying to be mean, it just bothers me a lot)
Thanks for the reply. I did actually read the first post a while back. The part that stuck with me was:
making questions green
Sorry, I'll use limegreen in future.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: August 09, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »

While reading an entry on Dwarf Fortress somewhere I came across a section stating that Dwarven civilizations are planned to be relatively similar compared to human civilizations. I'm guessing elves could go either way, what with them being depicted as forest-dwellers in some literature and masterful city-builders in others.

Now that we're getting closer to some mingling between cultures with the taverns and inns, how do you plan on making different civilizations of the same race unique?

I know we already have religions to some extent and the idea of different architecture has been mentioned for the final game, but I'm wondering if there will be any hint of a person's origin from their description (other than the part where it is explicitly stated) or gear.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: August 09, 2013, 02:47:53 pm »

there's skin and hair colour now, and i think facial features too. these are inherited among historical figure lineages, and picked from a subset of civ specific features for the generated populations

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: August 09, 2013, 02:53:44 pm »

Darn this game never ceases to amaze me. Even with things I already new.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 748