Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808097 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7245 on: August 06, 2013, 08:10:53 am »

Maybe climbing invaders could be a post release update?   But it would be nice for dwarves to have some immunity whilst shooting from treetops, at least for a while.   :)

Unrelated question, anyone know if bandits will attack forts at all?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: August 06, 2013, 09:21:45 am »

Thanks, pedrousz. I forgot that one. :)

Unrelated question, anyone know if bandits will attack forts at all?
Hm, I kind of doubt it's going to happen yet, but I don't recall if its been mentioned.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: August 06, 2013, 09:30:34 am »

OK, thanks Knight Otu, and thanks for answering my previous questions too.  (from ages ago but I forgot to acknowledge your replies, sorry!)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: August 06, 2013, 09:37:54 am »

No problem. :)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: August 07, 2013, 12:22:53 pm »

In the interest of doing silly things with RAWS what is the criteria that livestock are not given weapons?r

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: August 07, 2013, 12:23:59 pm »

In the interest of doing silly things with RAWS what is the criteria that livestock are not given weapons?r

Livestock were being given weapons because other creatures were; now they aren't because they're livestock.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: August 07, 2013, 01:04:57 pm »

Livestock were being given weapons because other creatures were; now they aren't because they're livestock.

But what DECIDES they are not livestock?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: August 07, 2013, 01:06:41 pm »

Being citizens, I'm guessing.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: August 07, 2013, 03:58:01 pm »

When you program Dwarf Fortress, are you more concerned with making the code more comprehensible or with optimizing it? With such a huge game, I would imagine that using optimization techniques such as utilizing bitwise operators would make the game run a lot faster, but then again with the sheer size and complexity of the code it would also probably help to use a more memory intensive but easier to read style.

I hope my question makes sense, I'm not a programmer.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: August 07, 2013, 05:50:12 pm »

Comprehensibility, almost surely. C++ compilers are really, really good at optimizing in that way nowadays.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: August 07, 2013, 06:43:55 pm »

But with hundreds of thousands of lines of code, I would assume that every little bit (sorry) of optimization would add up to speed the game up considerably.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: August 07, 2013, 06:50:56 pm »

But with hundreds of thousands of lines of code, I would assume that every little bit (sorry) of optimization would add up to speed the game up considerably.

Bitwise operation's relatively minor optimization move, and is pretty readable if you use the right constant to represent things. However, it doesn't works for everything. And well, really, algothirm matters far more with modern compilers ( which is very good at optimizing code itself but not the structure ).

Heck, with how much stuff's in the game, better optimization here and there aren't likely to do much, redesign and rewriting would probably do far better, but it'd take a few years just to do at this rate.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: August 07, 2013, 07:21:43 pm »

Climbing invaders would be best thing in the release if we get it. We would finally be forced into putting some thoughts into defense design instead of relying on same old setups that worked back in 40d, and it would make me actually play the game again.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: August 07, 2013, 07:53:04 pm »

Bitwise operations were just an example.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: August 07, 2013, 08:06:49 pm »

It's simply good programming practice to think about comprehensibility always, and optimize when it's known to matter. Also, often with a little extra work, you can create a clean, comprehensible interface that's as fast as it can be.

I expect most optimization in dwarf fortress is effectively indexing a larger data set. That's not too hard to make comprehensible.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 748