Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807742 times)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7110 on: July 12, 2013, 09:15:05 am »

Not sure if this should go here but does anyone know around when the next version will be released, I've been in hiatus of DF. Last I heard it was going to be March 2013.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:16:59 am by locustgate »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: July 12, 2013, 09:25:50 am »

Ohhh you made the forbidden question! Beware! You'll now are doomed to an eternity of torment in HFS, where your only companions will be smelly hippies elves! DOOMED I SAID!!!

Or in other words, it will be released when is done. And when is that? When is done. It could be a few months from now, I seem to believe that Toady is actually working a lot faster based on his updates and how long his taking to finish the new features. But as always in this game, there's not time line. You can't hurry art.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:27:43 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: July 12, 2013, 01:16:06 pm »

Not sure if this should go here but does anyone know around when the next version will be released, I've been in hiatus of DF. Last I heard it was going to be March 2013.
Nobody knows for sure. My best guess would be some time around Halloween.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: July 12, 2013, 02:16:54 pm »

Will there ever be lightning in this game? If so, how will it be handled? As a material, or more like fire?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: July 12, 2013, 02:46:34 pm »

Hey H. Jackman, do you mean lighting like a lighting strike or lighting as in light sources? The first I don't know. The second one indeed is planed. No time line as usual but I think we are getting there.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: July 12, 2013, 02:48:42 pm »

lightning, of course. I know about illumination already.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: July 12, 2013, 03:00:54 pm »

Will there ever be lightning in this game? If so, how will it be handled? As a material, or more like fire?

Check out the Weather Arc. I know that this specific framework is not used anymore, but still if it is on Toady's notes, then it might happen along with these phenomena. I think it's the same when he is asked about volcanoes, Toady wouldn't have developed those without something in mind.
Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Consolidated Development
TERRAIN/WEATHER/SWIMMING/FLYING/BOATS: Boats of some kind might go in early to make different regions more accessible, but you won't be able to be a pirate or an undersea civ for quite a while. Rivers freeze with daily temperatures instead of seasonal temperatures. Realize river and ocean squares when you visit them (forcing town layouts to adapt). Realize interesting canyons and so on in such areas. Track hurricanes and other major storm/disasters, in-game and during world gen. Thunderstorms with lightning strikes (with corresponding lighting effects) and hail. Levels of rainfall. Eating snow, making snowballs and picking up hail during and after hail storms. Tornados with wind flows that push items, projectiles and creatures. Proper eclipse modeling. Tides, deep oceans and pearl-diving, etc. More intricate interplay between cliff faces, inner rivers and outer rivers, using Z coord and waterfalls.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: July 12, 2013, 04:25:43 pm »

Technically, the release is well overdue. If it were dragged out longer, it will be reaching the "release timescale we don't want to hit". Personally, I'd rather have an incomplete, buggy release hit in the next week or two. I'd expect the release to come out after Dwarf sites, Kobold sites can be set aside for a subsequent release in the week or month following the big release.

Its actually getting very hard to get the release very bug-free without player input.

Edit: I'm mostly talking about DF2010, which was very buggy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:32:00 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: July 12, 2013, 04:31:12 pm »

Well I wouldn't say that, the last major release went quite smoothly. I imagine if we got a release now it'd be more like... uh, whichever release that was with the unkillable zombies. That one had a whole host of bugs that made the game nigh-unplayable, and even after a couple weeks of quick patching all the fancy new features were still broken as hell. It was a dark time, and I'd rather not go through it again, myself. Better to wait and get a version where all the blatant bugs are squashed, if only to avoid redundancy in reporting bugs Toady is well aware of.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: July 12, 2013, 10:58:34 pm »

Will elves bring "grown" logs? If you process these logs (crafts, or decorations on other materials etc) will elves still recognise them as "grown"? I suspect that's not coverered and if so what's your guess on it eventually?

Oh, and I almost forgot. Rah, elves. Burn the trees and stuff. Umm...Hippies, yeah.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: July 13, 2013, 05:15:07 am »

If we become friendly enough with the elves, will we ever be able to make trade agreements with them?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: July 13, 2013, 07:08:13 am »

Will elves bring "grown" logs? If you process these logs (crafts, or decorations on other materials etc) will elves still recognise them as "grown"? I suspect that's not coverered and if so what's your guess on it eventually?
i suppose one could argue that elves wouldn't be able to distinguish crafts carved out of ethically harvested grown wood from crafts made of mutilated trees, while naturally grown swords and chairs would be immediately identifiable. unless magic.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: July 13, 2013, 07:22:19 am »

That would be my hope. There should be less telepathy and more scope for treachery.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: July 13, 2013, 12:31:11 pm »

No if the trick is pulled by using a material tag, or entirely new materials, like: pine wood AND grown pine wood. That programing wise.

Lore wise, it remains to see if the wood is actually different, as for example anyone (or dwarves and disgusting hippies at least) can differentiate between those kind of woods. Maybe grown wood as something intrinsically different or distinctive.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: July 13, 2013, 12:40:04 pm »

i imagine the finishing would be immediately distinctive, and items grown into a shape shouldn't need nails and carpentry joints to hold them together
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 748