Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807057 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6885 on: June 21, 2013, 02:28:35 pm »

Why should they be banned?
Just asking

Because, as I understand, Toady doesn't want DF to become attributed as "that game where you can chuck crap about" or "that game with the semen monster". Understandable, but DF already has some pretty "touchy" additions like miscarriages and such. I guess a line must be drawn at some point, I personally wouldn't really want to face the wrath of a giant blob of crap.   
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:44:41 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: June 21, 2013, 02:30:45 pm »

Well to put it the way Toady said it.

He took them out because Titans made of that didn't make sense. A... whatever... Titan was just silly.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: June 21, 2013, 03:40:15 pm »

I think that, for the benefit of DF, by default should not include some things yes, but it shouldn't exclude them from implementation either. And I'm talking about all the touchy things, feces, urine, slavery, rape, sex, drug abuse, prostitution and whatever makes you shiver (surprisingly, representation of senseless death and killing are accepted in our society even being something far worst).

I know is a rather hypocritical call, similar to Total War approach, where they don't include violent (as in realistic) effects to the battles in oder to have certain rating but then after a while they release the money-grab DLC with them anyway. This way they get to stay on the desired rating to boost sales (because somehow teens killing humans is okay as long as they don't see the blood, as if shooting someone is okay as long your close your eyes) and then please (and get revenue from) the older, bloodthirsty fans.

Of course not that Toady should care about stupid artificial and meaningless ratings that exist only to "comfort" the "worried" parents of today. But is understandable he want to keep the game image clean in order to attract a broader audience.

In the end he's making the game and it all comes down, as always, at what he's personally comfortable working with and what he thinks is better for the game.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:42:11 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: June 21, 2013, 05:52:16 pm »

This thread is not really a great place to debate controversial topics, especially ones that have already been beaten to death in Suggestions.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: June 21, 2013, 06:12:13 pm »

I would like to apologize for how I caused this whole discussion, and mostly derailed the thread.
I would now like to encourage everyone to pay attention to the actual point of this thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: June 21, 2013, 06:28:49 pm »

I would like to apologize for how I caused this whole discussion, and mostly derailed the thread.
I would now like to encourage everyone to pay attention to the actual point of this thread.

This is future of the fort and this conversation has been going on for 2 pages.

Nothing really happened. In fact there was 2 hours between what LordBaal said and when Lord Footkerchief said and the conversation was barely moving at all.

So there really is no need to apologize. The Future of the Fortress is about the development of Dwarf Fortress and two pages (or 24+ posts of awkard conversation that ends on its own is barely worth caring about.)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: June 21, 2013, 09:52:15 pm »

I care.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: June 21, 2013, 09:56:14 pm »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: June 21, 2013, 10:20:04 pm »

It actually amazes me how this thread maintains a constant conversation.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: June 21, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »

Damn, I was about to post a joke...

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: June 21, 2013, 10:37:47 pm »

It actually amazes me how this thread maintains a constant conversation.
And one that stays relatively on topic.
The topic itself, however, is everchanging.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: June 22, 2013, 03:08:20 am »

My reaction to the latest devlog:

Oh COME ON. Part of Dwarf Fortress is exploring a goblin tower with staircases going up and down into solid rock, doors into empty space, magma floods, and rooms in hell.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: June 22, 2013, 06:18:04 am »

Toady, regarding climbing, the devlog states that constructed walls are climbable whilst smooth walls aren't. By "smooth" do you mean naturally smoothed rock or walls constructed out of blocks? If it is the former, will there be any way to make constructed walls impossible to climb? Also, can one grab on to and climb wall grates?
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: June 22, 2013, 06:56:00 am »

The last mention was that block walls are as climbable as rough walls. This may change before the release, but the answer below was after Toady moved on from climbing, so it should be up to date. No mention of grates yet, I believe.

Quote from: DG
Please clarify this, Toady. By smooth walls do you only mean natural walls that have been smoothed by an engraver (the impression I'm getting) or also walls constructed of blocks instead of rough stone/logs/bars?

I haven't distinguished the constructions yet, but I'm for making block walls much harder to climb, both from a game and realism perspective.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 748