Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807209 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6870 on: June 21, 2013, 03:20:54 am »

Actually he just removed most of the nasty curse words.

Yeah Toady just one day opened his eyes and went "Wow, I used to be such an immature twat" and went over and removed a much of stuff.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: June 21, 2013, 03:29:32 am »

Yeah Toady just one day opened his eyes and went "Wow, I used to be such an immature twat" and went over and removed a much of stuff.
Don't go putting words in his mouth. Based on things he's actually said, I've inferred that it was mostly just because he didn't like that people were hearing about goblins with dirty names as part of their introduction to DF. However, unless he outright says that was the case, you certainly shouldn't go telling people it was for some inane reason like that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: June 21, 2013, 03:36:41 am »

Don't go putting words in his mouth. Based on things he's actually said, I've inferred that it was mostly just because he didn't like that people were hearing about goblins with dirty names as part of their introduction to DF. However, unless he outright says that was the case, you certainly shouldn't go telling people it was for some inane reason like that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meh, I am not going to gamble on Toady getting the joke if even the sensible people on this site aren't getting the joke.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:49:21 am by Neonivek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: June 21, 2013, 03:40:27 am »

Yeah, that post makes you look a bit... bad.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: June 21, 2013, 03:43:20 am »

Yeah, that post makes you look a bit... bad.

It is an interesting story though and it involves when the Titan rewrites were being created.

Where Toady looked at all the previous materials he added to the game (Uhhh... too vulgar to mention them) and he removed a bunch just because it he didn't find them compatible with the game the way it currently is.

I actually consider it Toady sort of seeing the Toady of the past and just not finding himself that funny anymore.

Add a heaping helping Hyperbole and you get the fake quote.

I'll leave what I wrote up to see if people take it the right or wrong way. My general luck tells me I should edit what I wrote to be less offensive, but whatever.

Edit edition: Ehh if Hugo, being more sensible, doesn't get the joke... I think the chance that Toady will is pretty nil, so I put it in spoilers to be overlooked.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:51:26 am by Neonivek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: June 21, 2013, 03:58:48 am »

I mean I get it's supposed to be a joke, but it comes off as a little antagonistic and escalatory. Sarcasm sometimes doesn't translate well to the written word, unfortunately.

I know there were Titans who went around naked, but that really just seems more in line with a mythic feel than immaturity. I always felt the untoward words were there for completeness sake, but the goblin's preference for them (or did they just not have them disabled like the other races?) could be telling.

Still, it was kind of funny when the RNG threw out "Failuremountain, the God-forsaken Horse-Anus of Failure" for a fort name.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: June 21, 2013, 03:59:46 am »

No... I am referring to Titans made of... Bodily fluids.

Those Toady removed before they even made it into the game.

I guess I shouldn't tell jokes while suffering sleep deprivation.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 04:08:21 am by Neonivek »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: June 21, 2013, 04:23:50 am »

I anyone's curious about the why's of the removed words:
Quote from: Fieari
Was there a specific motivation for removing the "rude" words from the language files?  Just tone of how you want the goblins to sound, or was there pressure from some source, or did you need to cut down on language size?
I got sick of having to exclude them almost everywhere (the latest being the books).  Having them anywhere they didn't belong made the game seem stupid, and it was starting to seem like they didn't really belong anywhere.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: June 21, 2013, 04:50:34 am »

I do not get it, whats so shocking about a vomit/blood titan?
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: June 21, 2013, 04:59:14 am »

I do not get it, whats so shocking about a vomit/blood titan?
It wasn't vomit/blood.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: June 21, 2013, 05:39:06 am »

And from how Toady talks about them in DF Talk 3, they were never in the game to begin with, even pre-release.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: June 21, 2013, 07:19:27 am »

We should be less coy with these types of discussions or we run the risk of giving the wrong impression (or the desired impression depending on the commentators agenda). People will naturally attempt to fill in the blanks when rumour or innuendo is present. Saying categorically what it wasn't, but then not elaborating on what it was, obviously invites the person to infer from what is left. From the context below above, this hypothetical person is invited to assume that it must then have been semen, urine, feces, menstrual flow or smegma in the game once upon a time if it wasn't vomit or blood. And from Neon's poor attempt at a joke they are invited to believe that these things were once in the game and only removed because Toady had some sort of maturity epiphany.

As far as I know, semen, urine, feces, menstrual flow and smegma (and any other bodily fluid or excretion that you might believe requires censorship) have never been in the game. If they were in the game it's not the sign of an immature twat directing the game's development. Context is the key. If they were in the game but unavailable to the random titan materials would show no more than a design decision, not that the materials themselves or the decision to include them was innately juvenile.

I know we have differently coloured squiggles of yellows and browns to indicate filth as a catch all. And we've had the white squiggles that were associated with the tentacle demons of old that seem to have been a nod to hentai monsters. None were specifically labeled. If we're talking about something else let's be clear.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: June 21, 2013, 10:40:41 am »

I for one, welcome our new crap titans overlords.... ;P
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: June 21, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »

this hypothetical person is invited to assume that it must then have been semen, urine, feces, menstrual flow or smegma in the game once upon a time if it wasn't vomit or blood

Actually that is exactly what it was.

As far as I know, semen, urine, feces, menstrual flow and smegma (and any other bodily fluid or excretion that you might believe requires censorship) have never been in the game

>_>
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:19:03 pm by Neonivek »

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: June 21, 2013, 02:23:56 pm »

Why should they be banned?
Just asking
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 748