Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807622 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6840 on: June 17, 2013, 02:16:14 pm »

While this may be a bit presumptuous, what are your plans for after the usual post bug fixing ? What should we expect will be next on the dev list?
I can't find a quote to back me up right now, but I recall something about Thief Role/Taverns and Inns. Of course, the final decision likely won't come until the end of the bugfix cycle.

How often is the development page updated?
With each release. Toady mentioned that in the latest DF Talk. That means that you'll rarely see the 'Done, Next Release' color. I'm pretty sure the same applies to the Features and Screenshots pages.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: June 17, 2013, 03:29:45 pm »

One have to keep in mind that this alternate reality simulator is a monumental task to be done. It's both deeply boring over the long time and incommensurately exciting to watch over it's development at the same time (I'm talking developing-wise for the spectators).

However, from the dev page it'self:
It has also proven too time-consuming to maintain all of the notes in a presentable form, so we're sticking with incomplete lists for the foreseeable future. This page doesn't represent everything we'd like to do. It just has some of the things we're thinking about doing sooner rather than later. We'll be adding to it as specific roadmaps are drawn up and we are closer to using them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:32:22 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: June 18, 2013, 06:10:22 am »

How often is the development page updated?
With each release. Toady mentioned that in the latest DF Talk. That means that you'll rarely see the 'Done, Next Release' color. I'm pretty sure the same applies to the Features and Screenshots pages.

Transcript from DF Talk 21:

[59:45] Threetoe: "Yeah. Ok, so the next question comes from Vincent. He asks "The Dwarf Fortress Consolidated Development page (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html) says that it's outdated. When was this done and in what way is it outdated? Are the arcs still current and is the new page being kept up tp date?""

Toady: "So I guess it was a long time ago. Several years ago now, that the Consolidated Development page was created. We moved over from the core, req, bloat arc system over to just having a more kind of partial recent development type of page. It's not...It's outdated in the sense that, I mean we have a bug tracker now. The reqs of the old development page were...A lot of those were just bugs. So it's not like we've changed our direction at all, it's just that that particular system was becoming cumbersome and unwieldy, and was annoying to...Like every little thing, having to keep track of it and so on. So all of the arcs, as far as I remember them, it's all still the idea of what we want to do. So there's really nothing we've dropped as far as I remember.
 And I don't keep the new page up to date on a kind of daily or weekly basis or anything like that. It mostly gets updated on releases. So that means it can go for a year at a time without being changed but it does get updated at releases."

Threetoe: "Yeah, just different ways of organizing, I think is...It's not really out of date or anything, it's like all that stuff is still there."

Toady: "Yeah, I mean, pretty much the...Part of it is just a motivational thing. Changing the way we organize the notes just keeps things fresh and keeps us moving forward."

While this may be a bit presumptuous, what are your plans for after the usual post bug fixing ? What should we expect will be next on the dev list?
I can't find a quote to back me up right now, but I recall something about Thief Role/Taverns and Inns. Of course, the final decision likely won't come until the end of the bugfix cycle.

Transcript from DF Talk 21:

[01:37:19] Threetoe: "Ok, the next question's from Meg and they ask, "Will we be getting bug fixes to polish the already existing parts of Dwarf Fortress, like the AI, in the next version? And if so, to what extent?""

Toady: "So after this release...So when you ask about the next version, not really. I mean there's a big kind of AI guts rewrite that's actually happened in Fortress Mode regarding their prioritization and so on and how they think about things that's gonna make things like job priorities more of a low hanging fruit in the future. But when it comes to actual bug fixing, that's not what these large releases are intended to accomplish.
 What happens right after the large release is a series of smaller releases. Sometimes, you know, a couple in a week. And many many many of them that will address old bugs, new bugs, clean up portions of the interface, address minor annoyances and add in features to the game that are just meant to be more helpful to people playing. Especially things like Fortress Mode which we've been neglecting a bit with our focus on Adventure Mode in the big releases. Fortress Mode sees a lot of changes in these smaller releases as well. So if you're waiting for things like that don't pin all your hopes on the next version, but that should be the time when you get excited about Fortress Mode and fixes, and bug fixes, polishing and that kind if thing. So you should be excited about the next release cos it means it'll be the beginning of the process that you want."

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: June 18, 2013, 08:58:58 am »

Do you have any methods for bug testing other than yourself/others playing the game and reporting any wonkiness?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: June 18, 2013, 11:45:43 am »

With the inclusion of climbing, will this also mean including tools to assist with climbing, such as grappling hooks and stakes to nail down and tie rope to them? Will wells become access points to caves and caverns?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: June 18, 2013, 03:13:08 pm »

Do you have any methods for bug testing other than yourself/others playing the game and reporting any wonkiness?

He's got a buncha debug tools, AFAIK.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: June 18, 2013, 03:18:26 pm »

He's got a buncha debug tools, AFAIK.

Toady, would you consider releasing these debug tools to the public to help in general bug detection?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: June 18, 2013, 03:37:18 pm »

Toady, would you consider releasing these debug tools to the public to help in general bug detection?

Unlikely.

Will you leave the magic debug button in as an init option?
Nah, I don't want to have to support it.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: June 20, 2013, 07:27:49 am »

Quote from: Devlog
I fixed their (sometimes magma) leaky rooftops

Anyone have any idea what this means?  All I can figure is that sometimes goblins are going to have magma be... above them?  I can imagine this happening as a corner case, but not frequently enough for it to actually be encountered in basic testing. 
where is up?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6849 on: June 20, 2013, 08:31:33 am »

Latest dev log sheds vague light on it -- sometimes their structures go that deep...  and weren't getting tops on them when they twisted.  Bad news for everybody involved.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: June 20, 2013, 08:36:59 am »

Unless you hate goblins... I crave the day we will be able to invade a goblin site and crumble the tower into a gory mess of debris, lava and charred bodies.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: June 20, 2013, 11:58:18 am »

Well now that's service. 

Goblin sites just started sounding a lot more interesting!  Up until now I had been picturing them as only skimming the surface of the caverns for some reason, but if they go down that far then... well, fun!  Broken architecture letting magma flow in and make the place unexplorable does sound like a problem, though I could see flooded sections of the goblin underground making sense (since presumably goblin safety practices are pretty poor). 

This reminds me of the old 40d magma pipes that were a different shape on each z-level, so you had to be extra careful about how you dug into them. 
where is up?

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: June 20, 2013, 12:45:27 pm »

This reminds me of the old 40d magma pipes that were a different shape on each z-level, so you had to be extra careful about how you dug into them.
That reminds me of the first time I attempted to create magma forges. It's a good thing my miner was pretty agile and had an escape route. And that I dug the tunnels beneath the forges first. Then, before the lava finished flowing, the goblins came, and made my experience playing with lava seem so much safer by comparison.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:21 pm »

Wait, are goblin sites getting direct access to the HFS? "Places down below"?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: June 20, 2013, 01:38:23 pm »

For the looks of them yes, at least some of them. I'm guessing not all of them but the most important/ancient/central or starting locations ones.
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 748