Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807616 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6825 on: June 15, 2013, 01:13:21 pm »

Ah, I can see it now!

You, a deprived peasant armed with nothing but your wits, set fire to the woods around a bandit camp to slay them. Just watch which way the wind blows...

The strategy would be realistic and viable, and come with the downsides of unpredictable fire killing you as well, and of course destroying things from the bandits which you may have wanted to recover.

I don't mind proper wild fires as long as bandits (or anything else) are sensible enough to move away from flames. Otherwise it's as cheesy as throwing a quarry full of stones from invisibility.

They'd move away from the flames of course, but in the dry areas bandit camps are often found in, the fire may be too fast for them. And of course the cost of the strategy, the fire may be too fast for you as well. It's not cheesy if you stand a good chance of getting burned.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: June 15, 2013, 01:52:29 pm »

Ah, I can see it now!

You, a deprived peasant armed with nothing but your wits, set fire to the woods around a bandit camp to slay them. Just watch which way the wind blows...

The strategy would be realistic and viable, and come with the downsides of unpredictable fire killing you as well, and of course destroying things from the bandits which you may have wanted to recover.

I don't mind proper wild fires as long as bandits (or anything else) are sensible enough to move away from flames. Otherwise it's as cheesy as throwing a quarry full of stones from invisibility.

They'd move away from the flames of course, but in the dry areas bandit camps are often found in, the fire may be too fast for them. And of course the cost of the strategy, the fire may be too fast for you as well. It's not cheesy if you stand a good chance of getting burned.

I see what you did there.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: June 15, 2013, 02:37:20 pm »

I don't see what I did there  :-[

Urist_McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: June 15, 2013, 04:51:14 pm »

In regards to the world generated artifacts and the new treasure hunter 'class' in adventure mode and the army system coming in the next version, will we be able to send out crusaders in hope of recovering said artifacts for the glory of the fortress á la indiana jones in a future update?

Will these artifacts be like the ones already createable during moods or will they have a significant purpose, like the biblical Grail?

The items on the Development page are what Toady plans to implement in the future. They are not what's to be expected for the next release.

Ah, yes, I knew that but perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I meant in the future when treasure hunting and generated artifacts do make it, if we would be able to send out parties for that purpose. The 'next version' part of the comment was only meant for the addition of armies in the next update. I realise this is probably too early for even Toady to tell but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:48:33 pm by Urist_McDagger »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: June 15, 2013, 06:57:51 pm »

The items on the Development page are what Toady plans to implement in the future. They are not what's to be expected for the next release.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: June 15, 2013, 09:47:04 pm »

Spoiler: Explaining lame pun (click to show/hide)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: June 15, 2013, 09:58:45 pm »

Its okay, Monk12. I got it after re-reading it five or so times.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: June 16, 2013, 03:09:56 am »

Oh *facepalm*

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: June 16, 2013, 07:47:00 am »

Spoiler: Explaining lame pun (click to show/hide)

"Backfired?"

. . . I see what you did there.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: June 16, 2013, 10:59:46 pm »

Trees don't set fire.

Actually, if you have dragonfire on the 0.34.11 trees from above, they will catch on fire. I have seen this happen.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: June 16, 2013, 11:32:39 pm »

I have a question for future updates.  Will you ever consider implementing a Dwarf Unit Timeline, as talked about  here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98580.0?  Is such a thing feasible as the game stands, and would it be difficult (ie time-consuming) to implement?
Playing since 2007

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: June 16, 2013, 11:39:12 pm »

I have a question for future updates.  Will you ever consider implementing a Dwarf Unit Timeline, as talked about  here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98580.0Is such a thing feasible as the game stands, and would it be difficult (ie time-consuming) to implement?

I have lime greened that (questions usually are like that). I think this is a fair question to ask, we already have tracking of world history and we should probably be able to "get the history of this dwarf" or "get the history of this creature" in fortress mode, or even "get what we know about this megabeast". I don't know if there are any incredibly serious barriers, or if Toady is especially opposed to it.

This may be something that could be implemented for next release, if you're able to query people in adventure mode about their history or about a town, you can probably have that unit history thing implemented. If unit history gets implemented, please let's not have a wall of "Sankis Gattenbomrek engraved a masterpiece in Boatmuredered" unless we choose to - I'm fine with "In 1055 Sankis Gattenbomreck engraved 150 masterpieces in Konagusan".

(Edit: You know that last bit is going to happen now)

8)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:41:41 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: June 17, 2013, 02:38:43 am »

This may be something that could be implemented for next release, if you're able to query people in adventure mode about their history or about a town, you can probably have that unit history thing implemented. If unit history gets implemented, please let's not have a wall of "Sankis Gattenbomrek engraved a masterpiece in Boatmuredered" unless we choose to - I'm fine with "In 1055 Sankis Gattenbomreck engraved 150 masterpieces in Konagusan".

I think formatting some (most?) information in DF is imperative for something like the presentation arc or whatever anyway. A lot of DF's info are borderline useless walls of text in the current implementation and would benefit greatly from some kind of different formatting (charts, tables, ASCII-icons, graphs, maybe even some complex visualization - think about how you could display wounds or the inventory with an ASCII mannequin). Even some combination rules as you mention in your post would already help (say instead of his right first toe is broken, his right second toe is broken, etc; just have "his right first, second and etc... toe are broken", or even "his entire right foot is broken").

So yeah. I guess we can expect the usual "I guess that's reasonable, though no timeline as usual".
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: June 17, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »

While this may be a bit presumptuous, what are your plans for after the usual post bug fixing ? What should we expect will be next on the dev list?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: June 17, 2013, 01:52:35 pm »

How often is the development page updated?
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 748