Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806953 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6705 on: June 06, 2013, 08:10:57 am »

I'm surprised that neither of the replies mentioned:  Pull the F-ing LEVER!!!!!!1!!oooooooone!1!2

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: June 06, 2013, 10:59:58 am »

I'm surprised that neither of the replies mentioned:  Pull the F-ing LEVER!!!!!!1!!oooooooone!1!2
Yes, this should be the highest priority.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: June 06, 2013, 03:07:53 pm »

If I am reading the implications of the dev log correctly, are we looking at a replacement of the omniscient dwarven hivemind with something that tracks jobs based on knowledge? If so I fear we will be stuck with a broken fortress mode for quite a long time after the release as the new systems are inplemented/bugtested.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: June 06, 2013, 05:29:38 pm »

Have you considered using OpenMP to easily add threading to DF?

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: June 06, 2013, 06:06:44 pm »

I think the game already uses at least a little bit of OMP to multi thread, when I run DF and look at my CPU usage, four of my eight cores are being used in about equal amounts. It -is- possible that my system is simply bouncing computations between them so fast I don't notice a drop in the lines, but I think it's at least running some basic loops in parallel.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: June 06, 2013, 06:29:36 pm »

I think the game already uses at least a little bit of OMP to multi thread, when I run DF and look at my CPU usage, four of my eight cores are being used in about equal amounts. It -is- possible that my system is simply bouncing computations between them so fast I don't notice a drop in the lines, but I think it's at least running some basic loops in parallel.

It's because the OS is scheduling it on different cores as you mention.  None of the game's main logic is run in parallel (though the graphics are handled by a separate thread, but this has negligible performance impact).

Toady has stated that he doesn't know of any way to get it to work faster in a parallel manner yet.  Parallelizing it will be something that happens a long time from now, if ever.  OpenMP is a good help for parallelization, but I can state from personal experience that it's still not simple at all, even with OpenMP.  Or any other threading library of your choice.  Race conditions are hard enough to debug when you're building an application up from the ground with threading in mind...

If I am reading the implications of the dev log correctly, are we looking at a replacement of the omniscient dwarven hivemind with something that tracks jobs based on knowledge? If so I fear we will be stuck with a broken fortress mode for quite a long time after the release as the new systems are inplemented/bugtested.

My impression was that he was going to implement a better and/or customizable priority scheme shortly after the release.  Nothing quite so deep and game changing as making dwarves select jobs based on personal knowledge.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: June 06, 2013, 07:02:23 pm »

Yes, the primary difficulty with multithreading isn't implementing the threading itself, it's keeping those threads from interfering with one another in terrible and unexpected ways.  If you build software with threading in mind from the start, it can be done pretty cleanly, but at this point in DF's development it's likely more trouble than it is worth.  The amount of effort that would go into multithreading DF would almost certainly be better spent simply optimizing algorithms in stead. 

Multithreading is a frequent suggestion on the forums, and this is almost always the response it gets.  I would suggest starting another topic if one would like to explore the idea and it's possible implications further. 

More on-topic, I'm curious to hear the next few devlog entries.  I can only imagine the kinds of bugs that are showing up in fortress mode right now.  The way the new combat mechanics work for a fortress guard should be interesting - I expect that it will be much less wise to send a single legendary dwarf out to greet invaders in this coming version.  I would also like to know if brawling (in stead of just one-sided tantruming) is now something that can happen in an unhappy fort.  Dwarves have had listed grudges for a long time, and it would be fun to see that come up in play. 
where is up?

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: June 06, 2013, 07:16:41 pm »

More on-topic, I'm curious to hear the next few devlog entries.  I can only imagine the kinds of bugs that are showing up in fortress mode right now.  The way the new combat mechanics work for a fortress guard should be interesting - I expect that it will be much less wise to send a single legendary dwarf out to greet invaders in this coming version.
Well, since dwarfs don't follow combat formations and just run like rabid dogs towards the enemy, I think it will mean a dwarf squads will just be a mess, two or three dying before everyone getting there, then I can only imagine the AI problems, as three goblins attack a single dwarf and ignore the other dwarfs attacking them and so forth.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: June 06, 2013, 09:51:08 pm »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: June 06, 2013, 09:55:06 pm »

Personally, I think the whole omniscient thing is the only way Fort mode could work. If your designations had to go through the manager or someone, who then had to go physically tell the miners to dig there, and then they could misinterpret the order (aside from the unintentional way they already do), it would be frustratingly unplayable.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: June 07, 2013, 01:29:51 am »

Personally, I think the whole omniscient thing is the only way Fort mode could work. If your designations had to go through the manager or someone, who then had to go physically tell the miners to dig there, and then they could misinterpret the order (aside from the unintentional way they already do), it would be frustratingly unplayable.

If you got expanded bureaucracy, guildmasters, work gangs with overseers and the like it would add a nice layer of fun to a mature fortress, especially if it only became a problem as your population went up. I for one would like to see larger forts become unwieldy, corrupt messes with the odd secret vampire lair.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: June 07, 2013, 01:33:31 am »

If you got expanded bureaucracy, guildmasters, work gangs with overseers and the like it would add a nice layer of fun to a mature fortress, especially if it only became a problem as your population went up. I for one would like to see larger forts become unwieldy, corrupt messes with the odd secret vampire lair.

Problem is, they're already pretty much like that, without intentionally added fuddling.

Losing wouldn't be fun anymore if you eventually lose control of your fort with no way to avoid it, due to sheer amount of bureaucratic bundling forced upon you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:35:32 am by HugoLuman »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: June 07, 2013, 01:42:23 am »

while more late game challenges would be nice, bureaucracy is not what I'd look for. Already large forts are very hard to manage without Dwarf Therapist. The problems stem from the fact that Toady doesn't often run tests long enough to encounter large forts, so those features get neglected.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: June 07, 2013, 01:51:08 am »

The problems stem from the fact that Toady doesn't often run tests long enough to encounter large forts, so those features get neglected.

Can't we send him a already made fortress, so that he can make his own idea of this matter ?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: June 07, 2013, 02:03:27 am »

Large forts tend to collapse from tantrum spirals or diseases, anyway. Bureaucracy =/= fun, except for a rare few situations.
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 748