Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806613 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6690 on: June 05, 2013, 06:15:49 am »

A Few Questions about Weapons and Combat

1 : Right Now weapons can get their own names after being used, but is it feasible that if a weapon is used for solely (or mostly ) killing one sort of creature (like Kobolds / Goblins ) it would start to become famous and even inspire fear on the enemies its being used?

2 : Have named Weapons (Not artifacts ) some sort of Bonus compared to Normal versions of the weapons and if not, is this something that is going to change in some way or other?

3 : How about elemental damage from Weapons ( That Flaming sword or Ice cold dagger ) , is it going to be implemented and how would it work? Perhaps some of the "magical" items could have an light area as well? It would certainly be hard to be stealthy wielding an Flaming Sword.

1: Nope, not yet anyway famous weapons are iirc. planed thought
2: No Bonus so far. Artefacts make just 3 instead of 2 attack rolls. Named Weapons should still have 2 Rolls.

3: That wouldnt be necesserly elemental and you can have cold weapons already by turning Nethercap into a trainingweapon or shield. I am not sure but fireimp-bone could also be fixed temperature to since the imp has "HOMEOTHERM:10095". Atleast impbones it make a very Firesafe material since theyr melting-point is at 15000.

A bigger variety should come in as soon as toady creates and expands more of the artefact-effects which can have but are not limited to Elemental effects.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:20:07 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6691 on: June 05, 2013, 09:51:13 am »

Remind me, where is document that lists all the changes so far from last release?

I suppose it is finally time to get a little hyped about new release.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:56 am »

Remind me, where is document that lists all the changes so far from last release?

Here you go

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6693 on: June 05, 2013, 01:32:26 pm »

Here you go

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg

Thank you!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: June 05, 2013, 01:36:17 pm »

3 : How about elemental damage from Weapons ( That Flaming sword or Ice cold dagger ) , is it going to be implemented and how would it work? Perhaps some of the "magical" items could have an light area as well? It would certainly be hard to be stealthy wielding an Flaming Sword.
[/color]
Toady has talked about flaming weapons in one of the Fortress Talks, and the basic problem that he hasn't decided is how to make them rare enough.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: June 05, 2013, 01:50:46 pm »

[/color]
Toady has talked about flaming weapons in one of the Fortress Talks, and the basic problem that he hasn't decided is how to make them rare enough.
Spoiler: An Actual Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: June 05, 2013, 03:05:49 pm »

how to make them rare enough.

How many FB are made of flame ?
If weapons are randomized the same way (or with the same dispersion) than forgotten beasts, I think they won't be so many in the world...

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6697 on: June 05, 2013, 03:20:43 pm »

If weapons are randomized the same way (or with the same dispersion) than forgotten beasts, I think they won't be so many in the world...
"This is the vomit greatsword "The Burning of Cats". All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of miasma. It emits an aura of peace and niceness."

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: June 05, 2013, 03:39:12 pm »

"This is the vomit greatsword "The Burning of Cats". All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of miasma. It emits an aura of peace and niceness."

Exactly !
Why should "magic" always mean "overpowered" ? Snow blob and gigantic quadruped made of sand have proved it could be otherwise, sometimes...

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: June 05, 2013, 04:45:03 pm »

The original discussion was in the context of dwarven made magical objects/artifacts. Cause in the end you want dwarves using them.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:00 pm »

The original discussion was in the context of dwarven made magical objects/artifacts. Cause in the end you want dwarves using them.
Or leaving them in the middle of the front yard for your adventurers to find.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: June 06, 2013, 12:35:24 am »

From today's log:

Quote from: Multitile Log
The upside to this revision is that whatever job priority system we come up with is almost touching the ground as far as low-hanging fruit go, so it'll definitely be one of the post-release features we work on with the bug fixes and other upgrades.

What does Toady mean by "job priority system"?  Po...possibly an in-game job manager like Therapist?  I don't see how this would be connected to the revision he was talking about, so I'm simultaneously extremely confused and excited.  Help, anyone?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: June 06, 2013, 12:40:43 am »

From today's log:
Quote from: Multitile Log
The upside to this revision is that whatever job priority system we come up with is almost touching the ground as far as low-hanging fruit go, so it'll definitely be one of the post-release features we work on with the bug fixes and other upgrades.
What does Toady mean by "job priority system"?  Po...possibly an in-game job manager like Therapist?  I don't see how this would be connected to the revision he was talking about, so I'm simultaneously extremely confused and excited.  Help, anyone?
I think he's refering to the order in which dwarves consider a job to be a "priority" For example, whether a dwarf should go mine out one tile of sand and go back to bed, or actually try to get some work done, and then get his food, drink, sleep, and break all out of the way all at one time, before going back to work.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: June 06, 2013, 12:42:17 am »

More like telling your broker to report at the depo at once insted of hauling things around. Or your doctors ACTUALLY working in the hospital, and doing low priority work in their free time.
Cool stuff, this a release will be awesome if Toady can handle the performance. I' a bit afraid of the FPS implications of a persistent world.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:59:20 am by fricy »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: June 06, 2013, 12:48:55 am »

I think he's refering to the order in which dwarves consider a job to be a "priority" For example, whether a dwarf should go mine out one tile of sand and go back to bed, or actually try to get some work done, and then get his food, drink, sleep, and break all out of the way all at one time, before going back to work.

More like telling your broker to report at the depo at once insted of hauling stuff. Or your doctors ACTUALLY working in the hospital, and hauling stuff in their free time.
Cool stuff, this a release will be awesome if Toady can handle the performance. I' a bit afraid of the FPS implications of a persistent world.

Ah, thanks guys.  That sounds more like it  :)
Makes more sense as I guess it might tie in with all that stuff they talked about in DF Talk on conversations and timing and whatnot.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 748