Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806437 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6660 on: June 02, 2013, 01:20:13 am »

With the addition of jumping, will invaders now be able to leap over a 1 z-level walls? Can they climb on rough walls?

Not in the next version; Toady hasn't and won't be doing the climbing pathing for AI. It'll probably come up in the future.

Right now, combat physics don't seem to account for some things. For example, it doesn't seem that the skull round shape mitigates the effects of impacts it suffers as it happens IRL. As a consequence, we have strange things like dwarfs breaking each other skulls with punchs and a lot of skull breaking in general. The same thing can somewhat be applied to arrows vs armor, they don't seem to account the armor shape in impact. Since we had a combat overhaul, does this theorized unintended deficiency (bug? I don't know a better word for it) stills stands, it's somewhat better or it's completely removed? If it's not and I'm right about this, do you plan to do something about it in the future?

Simple example, not mine, of someone breaking a skull after being thrown by the thumb.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's acknowledged this problem before and said he'll deal with it in the future, but he hasn't stated that he's reworked how impacts affect tissues, made shape of a body part or impacting object affect that or anything of the sort for this release, so it's probably going to have to wait until he actually decides to go into the combat arc directly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: June 02, 2013, 02:27:19 am »

With the addition of jumping, will invaders now be able to leap over a 1 z-level walls? Can they climb on rough walls?

Not in the next version; Toady hasn't and won't be doing the climbing pathing for AI. It'll probably come up in the future.

Right now, combat physics don't seem to account for some things. For example, it doesn't seem that the skull round shape mitigates the effects of impacts it suffers as it happens IRL. As a consequence, we have strange things like dwarfs breaking each other skulls with punchs and a lot of skull breaking in general. The same thing can somewhat be applied to arrows vs armor, they don't seem to account the armor shape in impact. Since we had a combat overhaul, does this theorized unintended deficiency (bug? I don't know a better word for it) stills stands, it's somewhat better or it's completely removed? If it's not and I'm right about this, do you plan to do something about it in the future?

Simple example, not mine, of someone breaking a skull after being thrown by the thumb.

He's acknowledged this problem before and said he'll deal with it in the future, but he hasn't stated that he's reworked how impacts affect tissues, made shape of a body part or impacting object affect that or anything of the sort for this release, so it's probably going to have to wait until he actually decides to go into the combat arc directly.

Thanks for the info, Eric Blank!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: June 02, 2013, 06:33:57 am »

There seem to be a number of things sitting around waiting for a pathfinding rewrite.  Most notably flyer/swimmer pathfinding being sort of crazy, but with the upcoming new release there is climbing and jumping, and on the horizon there is potential digging and construction.  Gonna be one hell of a rewrite once it comes, which by the sounds of things will most likely be along with "improved sieges", since that's the one item that simply doesn't work at all until the pathfinding is working (at least not as it's been described). 

Though when that might be is completely unknown :)

It's going to be interesting to see how all that eventually works it's way to fort mode.  I can imagine strange bugs with dwarves scaling cavern walls and swimming through underground lakes to fetch wads of silk on the cave floor and all kinds of craziness.  What's going to be hard is representing these abilities without having them used all the time.  Maybe someone would scramble over a wall if faced with an imminent threat, but it's much less likely for anyone but some kind of parkour gymnastics ninja to do so while carrying a baby and a load of lumber.  There are many strange cases that need considering.  Stuff to look forward to though. 
where is up?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: June 02, 2013, 10:27:10 am »

From the most recent DF Talk (21):

[01:25:51] Z: "Are you planning to make skulls and brains a little more tough? Every fight seems to end with the skull being jammed through the brain."

T: "Well, hopefully this is already fixed for the next release. I didn't add...I didn't go quite the direction, I guess I wanted to end up going there, by adding more geometric information to the parts and stuff to kind of explain what the part looks like. There just wasn't enough time but I made them larger. I mean, I don't remember, they were kind of a ridiculous size. So the largeness for now I think helps enough.
 And if we wanna get them back to a, I don't know, appropriate size and geometry and hardness, and all that, it might get tweaked later on. But I've been pretty happy with the results of sitting there and sort of boxing someone in the head over and over and not just having their skull collapse after a few hits. It takes quite a bit more in the next release."

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: June 02, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »

[01:25:51] Z: "Are you planning to make skulls and brains a little more tough? Every fight seems to end with the skull being jammed through the brain."

T: "Well, hopefully this is already fixed for the next release. I didn't add...I didn't go quite the direction, I guess I wanted to end up going there, by adding more geometric information to the parts and stuff to kind of explain what the part looks like. There just wasn't enough time but I made them larger. I mean, I don't remember, they were kind of a ridiculous size. So the largeness for now I think helps enough.
 And if we wanna get them back to a, I don't know, appropriate size and geometry and hardness, and all that, it might get tweaked later on. But I've been pretty happy with the results of sitting there and sort of boxing someone in the head over and over and not just having their skull collapse after a few hits. It takes quite a bit more in the next release."

Oh, I didn't hear the latest DF Talk, so that makes my question redundant. Sorry. Thanks a lot for the quote, DG!

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6665 on: June 02, 2013, 02:54:06 pm »

Oh, I didn't hear the latest DF Talk, so that makes my question redundant. Sorry. Thanks a lot for the quote, DG!

Do check it out when you can. A lot of interesting topics get covered and a lot is said about the new combat overhaul.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: June 02, 2013, 05:29:57 pm »

Toady, you mentioned a long time ago:

Quote from: Toady One
I'm not opposed to setting cage traps in trees although I think most anything to do with trees is premature until I handle multi-tile trees.  Elves might be the first to set traps up there.

Now that you handled multi-tile trees, can we place traps up in trees and do elfs do it?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:34:40 pm by arkhometha »

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: June 02, 2013, 05:59:05 pm »

About the skull thing, has densities been implemented into the game? Sounds like a dwarf's head doesn't need to be bigger, but more denser (both figuratively and literally). Not dense enough that a falling boulder would bounce some poor dwarf's head without leaving a dent, of course...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: June 02, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »

About the skull thing, has densities been implemented into the game? Sounds like a dwarf's head doesn't need to be bigger, but more denser (both figuratively and literally). Not dense enough that a falling boulder would bounce some poor dwarf's head without leaving a dent, of course...

Density has been around for a long time. I think you're referring to thickness, though, or bulk/young's modulus, all of which are pretty much in the game. Lead is hella dense, but if your skull were made of it, it could be crushed pretty easily.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: June 02, 2013, 08:30:05 pm »

Toady, you mentioned a long time ago:

Quote from: Toady One
I'm not opposed to setting cage traps in trees although I think most anything to do with trees is premature until I handle multi-tile trees.  Elves might be the first to set traps up there.

Now that you handled multi-tile trees, can we place traps up in trees and do elfs do it?

The following quotes in the spoiler from the latest  talk don't address your question specifically but they give the impression that nothing new has been done with traps and that any changes are likely to wait for a more specific mechanics release.  When that goes in traps as they are now will probably be replaced with more component pieces that require something more from the player, whether that be more thought and planning or resources or time and space, I don't know.

And this quote relates to things like caltrops now being lower hanging fruit from a development point of view because they can be adapted from the spatter system.

Kyphis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: June 02, 2013, 09:05:03 pm »

With the new climbing being implimented, what are the odds of seeing/constructing fences that block most animals, but only cost extra movement (take longer) for things with climbing or sentience? It would be interesting to see Adventure mode towns be able to have livestock pens and fences around their crops.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:07:40 pm by Kyphis »

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: June 03, 2013, 11:16:23 am »

You said in the Bay12 report that bandits won't be hanging out around wells this release. Should this be taken to mean that the previously mentioned feature of bandits harassing townsfolk and getting in fistfights with the player is out for this release? If so, is there any way for the player to get into a nonlethal fistfight without angering the town's populace?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: June 04, 2013, 04:06:07 am »

You said in the Bay12 report that bandits won't be hanging out around wells this release. Should this be taken to mean that the previously mentioned feature of bandits harassing townsfolk and getting in fistfights with the player is out for this release? If so, is there any way for the player to get into a nonlethal fistfight without angering the town's populace?
That's not how I'm reading the report - he said they're on hold (presumably in fixing or expanding), not that they're gone.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: June 04, 2013, 04:47:40 am »

That's not how I'm reading the report - he said they're on hold (presumably in fixing or expanding), not that they're gone.

My impression of the report for June was that bandits harassing townspeople are on hold because: A - they are using up valuable dev time and B - there's nothing your adventurer can do with them (e.g. interrogate them, drag them to the sheriff) once they yield. Adding more ways to deal with yielding ruffians seems to have been ruled out for the coming release.
Quote from: June report
interrogations and temporary prisoners (features I'm not willing to add for the release at this late juncture)

Whether bandits will still show up in towns in some way in the release is apparently an open issue.
Quote from: June report
We'll see how that turns out.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:50:13 am by Mopsy »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: June 04, 2013, 07:13:46 am »

I dunno, think you're reading too much into that, possibly?  Toady just said loitering at the well was out for the moment, nothing more.  Bandits showing up and harassing people has been on the table for a long time.  I got the impression this feature trimming (how wonderfully rare it is!) just applied to post-ultra violence behavior.    ...   
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 748