Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806923 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6570 on: May 29, 2013, 03:11:27 pm »

If everyone in the fort is a vampire, doesn't it crumble? I'm pretty sure once the last mortal dwarf gets converted/drained, the game ends. Vampires also remain in the fort upon abandon/reclaim, I'm pretty sure, but become hostile.

There are many stories where vampires don't need blood, but it is extremely compelling to them. Perhaps an all vampire fort would be shunned by the Mountainhome, and the dwarves become unable to venture outside at all for fear of the sun, retreating into the caverns for eternity. And then the fort would fall if something had to be done outside, like a digging project, or killing a Necromancer who keeps sending minions down into the tunnels.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: May 29, 2013, 03:46:28 pm »

A perfect example of what we could look for in this case is the one of Sylvania from Warhammer 40k,

I'm sorry, I realize it's minor, and you mean Warhammer Fantasy, not Warhammer 40k. =P

There are many stories where vampires don't need blood, but it is extremely compelling to them. Perhaps an all vampire fort would be shunned by the Mountainhome, and the dwarves become unable to venture outside at all for fear of the sun, retreating into the caverns for eternity. And then the fort would fall if something had to be done outside, like a digging project, or killing a Necromancer who keeps sending minions down into the tunnels.

I thought Vampires, even in Fortress Mode, weren't at odds with undead?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: May 29, 2013, 04:06:48 pm »

I'm talking about in the future, when Necromancers will be able to direct their minions better.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: May 29, 2013, 06:16:18 pm »

Currently I'm fairly certain an all-vampire fortress won't crumble simply from everyone alive being a vampire. They might, however, suffer a great tantrum spiral when the vampires begin feasting on the non-vampires and subsequently lose their ever-loving minds.

They're also fun for adventurers to romp into, as Darkerdark discovered visiting my old fortress. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: May 29, 2013, 07:09:53 pm »

I used the word exploit rather loosely back there, that's why I put quote marks on it and put on the doubt it could be called one.
I know it's not necessarily an exploit, but it's not intended to work that way either, as Knight Otu quote explains. Should a vampire really go years without blood? decades?  Without consequence? Is it right, lore-wise? (medieval lore wise, I know DF is fantasy but it has it's standards)
But LordBaal is right, they should be immortal. But they die if certain conditions are met and drinking blood is a necessity, not a luxury, something should happen.
Hibernation, as Knight Out pointed out, is a good compromise, though I don't know how close it is to "reality". Maybe it could be stages: going berserk, going mad, hibernating. Or maybe it will depend on the curse, as he himself suggested. It would make sense. I will check what medieval lore says about vampires.
I'm not against people playing the way they want, I don't want Toady to end danger rooms or develop a way to prevent players from doing magma cubes to avoid diggers when they come. People play DF as they want, with mods, without mods, etc. The thing is, I wanted to know Toady's opinion on it and if he plans to do something about, like, if vampires will endless live without drinking blood and without this bringing any consequences in future updates.
Do you know of any lore, HugoLuman, where vampires can endless live without blood without having any consequences whatsoever?

I don't know, vampires are defined for being blood-suckers. It's in their nature, and it should have consequences, IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:21:46 pm by arkhometha »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: May 29, 2013, 07:31:06 pm »

Vampires are defined for being bloodsuckers, and that's about it. Lore varies wildly.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: May 29, 2013, 07:45:19 pm »

Vampires are defined for being bloodsuckers, and that's about it. Lore varies wildly.
You are correct, but what happens when the vampire doesn't do the thing that defines him? That it's his food? Nothing?

EDIT:
That's the strange thing, and it should be fairly easy to fix it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:50:40 pm by arkhometha »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: May 29, 2013, 08:00:55 pm »

It varies wildly. Sometimes they don't need it but feel strongly compelled to drink it, sometimes they die without it. I was thinking, for eternal bureaucrats and pump-operators, it would be no averse effects to themselves but they would pounce on the first mortal they had a chance to kill.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: May 29, 2013, 08:01:15 pm »

If everyone in the fort is a vampire, doesn't it crumble? I'm pretty sure once the last mortal dwarf gets converted/drained, the game ends. Vampires also remain in the fort upon abandon/reclaim, I'm pretty sure, but become hostile.

Nope, from actual experience, you just get to play a 100% vampire fort. Future migrant waves tend to not last past the first sleep, because the entire fort will dogpile them in their room. That is, unless you isolate and convert the migrants.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: May 29, 2013, 08:21:50 pm »

It varies wildly. Sometimes they don't need it but feel strongly compelled to drink it, sometimes they die without it. I was thinking, for eternal bureaucrats and pump-operators, it would be no averse effects to themselves but they would pounce on the first mortal they had a chance to kill.

Blood is the life force of humans and vampires. While drinking and eating is humans sustenance, drinking blood is the vampire only mean of sustaining itself. Since they are dead, it's usually considered they don't produce their own life force, blood. In Medieval Folklore: A Guide to Myths, Legends, Tales, Beliefs, and Customs the authors define vampire as “a revenant, reanimated corpse, or phantom of the recently deceased, which maintains its former, living appearance when it comes out of the grave at night to drink the blood of humans.”1 and they continue by stating "These creatures must suck blood from humans or mammals for sustenance"2. The Oxford English Dictionary is the first known lexicon with an entry for vampire in 1734 defining it as “a ghost who leaves his grave at night and sucks the blood from the living.” They are defined by sucking blood yet nothing should happen when they don't do it for a long time? Sometimes player fortress take up to 30 years in game! Or should they only become more slow for not getting their sustenance, their life-force, for years? Doesn't make sense to me.
I don't believe they should be able to live (or un-live) centuries or millenia without their sustenance, their life force, while being without blood for a year should probably make them hibernate, insane among other things.

1Carl Lindahl et al, Medieval Folklore: A Guide to Myths, Legends, Tales, Beliefs and Customs (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002), 424
2Idem, ibidem.

Also, another question, does anyone knows of a vampire in DF who doesn't live in a city? Never heard of one in vanilla games.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:26:39 pm by arkhometha »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: May 29, 2013, 08:40:40 pm »

Don't cite sources on myths, DF doesn't follow the rules of any particular setting or universe and a single book is hardly definitive of the immense variety of medieval folklore. Toady's not trying to do a strict recreation of Romanian folklore or anything, he's trying to create a fantasy world generator, influenced not just by mythology but by fantasy conventions and tropes.

Vampires will eventually have variable traits, semi-random. Judging by the common depections of vampires in fantasy, effects of blood starvation could vary between each world/curse lineage:
-Become less human in appearance
-Become weaker
-Become stronger but more desperate
-Nothing, except they'll drain the first living person they get their hands on
-Revert to corpse
-Crumble
-Revert to human (though this one is rare)
-and more

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:23 pm »

It also depends on where you place your vampire on the gothic (like Nosferatu) to romantic (like Dracula) scale.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: May 29, 2013, 08:47:04 pm »

Like I said, it's not going to be constrained by the strict definition of any particular convention or setting, the only constant thing will eventually be consuming blood/life force. You can have the tragic vampire driven to murder by their hunger and survival instinct, or the evil vampire who doesn't need blood to survive but loves nothing better than to drink it.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #6583 on: May 29, 2013, 10:06:38 pm »

It also depends on where you place your vampire on the gothic (like Nosferatu) to romantic (like Dracula) scale.

You forgot the Sparkly end of the scale.  ;)
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: May 29, 2013, 10:15:45 pm »

You forgot the Sparkly end of the scale.  ;)

I don't think Toady's going to touch on that, except via RNG insanity.
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 748