Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807556 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6405 on: May 18, 2013, 01:31:55 am »

"Shhh... my cave sense is tingling!"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: May 18, 2013, 08:09:24 am »

That's a crundle without a valid path to us. Run!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're all gonna dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will dwarves ever be able to non-panic when something doesn't have a path to it?[
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:17:55 am by Urist Mc Dwarf »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: May 18, 2013, 11:17:43 am »

One would think that Dwarves, being underground beings mostly, would have a far better vision than your ordinary human. However they still should require certain levels of light to do certain things.

One would think that Dwarves, being underground beings mostly, would have a far better vision than your ordinary human. However they still should require certain levels of light to do certain things.
To the best of my recollection, in D&D, dwarves (and elves) have infravision.
What did they have in Lord of the Rings?

Shit vision.

In the Hobbit, the dwarves actually end up figuring out that Bilbo has better low-light vision. And Elves of course are even better yet. Though in Lord of the Rings and partially implied in the Hobbit, dwarves have a natural sense when in mines/caves which helped Gimli find his way around a cave in Helm's Deep. (Which sounds more or less like what dwarves already do. Granted Gimli wasn't much help in Moria... which like Battlefailed and Failcannon is really big and filled with multiple paths to everywhere and nowhere which ultimately break the dwarves' natural pathing algorithm.)

Infrared-vision does not help underground. You would see other beings (maybe) but wouldnt see walls or objects. Left out in a cave or tunnel the walls, ground ,your objects etc. would quickly go to a equalized temperature. Its like a snow-white Pony in the snow.

Nightvision in tech works normaly by amplyfing signal (and noise by either lengthening exposure or combining charges) which doesnt work if you have no source for a signal which generates enough contrast. That or you keep a IR source near by, say a couple of IR-LEDs, those light bounces of an object/being and sets of your photocells.

Echolocation is a bit better i think.

"Shhh... my cave sense is tingling!"

So for the most part, dwarves may have a poor ability to work underground without a light source.

Following to both Toady and players:
Lighting. So dwarven embark wagon arrives at a location, they have no source of light. They have embarked on a tropical savannaha, so there are few or no trees. Obviously, dwarves can dig out an area open to the sky and have no problem with lighting, but what are the limits with working? Do you think dwarves will get better vision underground over time as they become cave adapted, so initially they would be forced to stay close to the surface, but later on they would be able to work better underground? Would exposure to the Sun rapidly wipe out their underground bonuses, or would they become light-adapted over time? Would dwarves living underground for very long periods of time (i.e. years on end) have any other effects from cave adaptation besides being able to work normally in light-less conditions, and vomiting out in the Sun? If arrays of mirrors to reflect sunlight underground are possible and built, will this cause dwarves illuminated by such mirrors to vomit?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: May 18, 2013, 11:58:54 am »

Toady's talked about lighting etc. in DF Talks, but they're not going in this release. I think it's another one of those "we'll get around to it one of these days, but it isn't on the current planning board."

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: May 18, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »

Yeah, I asked mostly about now that you have vision arcs and ranges what are the chances of having some item or something else affecting the limits and ranges of your vision, not proper lighting.

Oh, on the other hand, will helmets and such affect the arc of sight?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:43:01 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: May 18, 2013, 03:04:52 pm »

Yeah, I asked mostly about now that you have vision arcs and ranges what are the chances of having some item or something else affecting the limits and ranges of your vision, not proper lighting.

Oh, on the other hand, will helmets and such affect the arc of sight?

There must be greeen!

I'd imagine that if vision range under poor lighting conditions is ever changeable in the raws, we'd be able to make interactions or syndromes that change it to make items or powers that affect it. Night-eye potions.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: May 18, 2013, 09:10:50 pm »

New devlog update. I know we probably won't get another FotF reply before the release, but:

Do clouds do anything besides cosmetic effect?

Has there actually been a change with the way liquid water (not water as a contaminant) boils when it gets hot enough?

Is the Arena going to have anything other than placeholder rock for material? For example, make the walls and floors out of smooth obsidian?

Is foggy weather going to appear in fortress mode in the coming release?

Have you made changes to vision underground, and if so how will that work without lighting being in the game?

Next up: Site and tree finalisations and release?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:14:54 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: May 18, 2013, 09:21:43 pm »

New devlog update. I know we probably won't get another FotF reply before the release, but:
No, the release is still at least a few months away. Toady generally does FotF at the end of the month.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: May 18, 2013, 09:34:04 pm »

I think we can expect at least one more FotF update.

Do clouds do anything besides cosmetic effect?

In the current release's Adventure Mode, cloudy weather restricts the sight radius (and darkens the palette, I think).

Is the Arena going to have anything other than placeholder rock for material? For example, make the walls and floors out of smooth obsidian?

The devlog mentioned "grass, dirt or sand".

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: May 19, 2013, 09:02:12 am »

The devlog mentioned "grass, dirt or sand".

Saw that. I meant are these things going to be made out of some "placeholder" material like rock (what rock?), grass, dirt, or sand, or will there be an option to use things in the raws? i.e. use limestone for rock, use bubble grass for grass, use fire clay for dirt, and use white sand for sand?

Example: Modded fire grass is really hot, you can specify the arena grass to be fire grass, and see whether it actually sets things on fire.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: May 19, 2013, 11:32:59 am »

IF the new stealth rules in adventurer mode also apply to fortress mode, did anyone else note that we now have a good reason to mow the front lawn? Crossing a bare drawbridge or empty paved courtyard outside while being observed would be the hardest feat. Forts that like to have grass, shrubs, and trees everywhere would be a security risk. MAYBE anyone next to a wall gets a boost to stealth, even if it normally wouldn't make sense.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: May 19, 2013, 11:48:22 am »

Well, if vision arcs also take effect in fortress mode, our watch animals might not even be looking the right direction at any given time. Still, getting through a hallway full of dogs would be more difficult because you can't just rely on legendary ambusher skill to make you utterly invisible even as you climb over the top of them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: May 19, 2013, 01:15:15 pm »

Will combat ever include things like deliberately slamming someone's face into the ground, as opposed to that happening by chance when they are thrown?

I hope one day we can play this game as some awesome combination of masked luchadore and kung-fu master. Then I could make a Wuxia/lucha themed story thread.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: May 19, 2013, 01:40:05 pm »

"Ever" is such a long time... but it seems to be planned.
Bloat141, WRESTLING MOVES AND MORE INTERFACE, (Future): Lifts, impalements, smashing into terrain, disarms, throat-slitting, etc. Much more wrestling. Make graspers and the most common moves appear at the top of the interface list.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Gremdavel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gremdavel
« Reply #6419 on: May 19, 2013, 03:02:15 pm »

Well, if vision arcs also take effect in fortress mode, our watch animals might not even be looking the right direction at any given time. Still, getting through a hallway full of dogs would be more difficult because you can't just rely on legendary ambusher skill to make you utterly invisible even as you climb over the top of them.

This brings up an interesting point.  Dogs and many other animals rely more on smell and hearing for detection than they do on sight.  Will senses other than sight eventually be taken into consideration in determining whether a sneaking being is revealed?
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 748