Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807631 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6390 on: May 17, 2013, 04:16:54 pm »

All of them?
They all have to sleep some of the time. But maybe not at the same time. And dragons have been known to sleep with one eye open.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: May 17, 2013, 04:32:57 pm »

Hey just like me!

On all the fog thing, my whole torchlight and that digress make me think, would we be able to see things like torches, bone fires, candles and all that even from beyond our vision field, if such field is limited? I mean, if you are in a forest and all is dark you might not be able to see that bear 20 meters away, but you could still see that bright camp fire two kilometers away.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: May 17, 2013, 04:38:17 pm »

Hey just like me!

On all the fog thing, my whole torchlight and that digress make me think, would we be able to see things like torches, bone fires, candles and all that even from beyond our vision field, if such field is limited? I mean, if you are in a forest and all is dark you might not be able to see that bear 20 meters away, but you could still see that bright camp fire two kilometers away.
Problem is, as Toady alluded to in this thread, currently only the adventurer starts campfires, and they are the only man made light source. Giving the adventurer the ability to see their own fires from a distance doesn't add much. When other lighting is added, such an effect would be more important.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:01:12 pm by King Mir »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: May 17, 2013, 05:03:29 pm »

The question has been asked, though, if we're getting lighting added to the game at the same time we're getting improved vision realism.

It does, also, allow you to leave a trail of bread crumbs. Which is nice.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: May 17, 2013, 05:32:35 pm »

You mean !!bread crumbs!!.  ;)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: May 17, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »

What I mean, is that if fog or other conditions impair your vision, maybe Toady also includes some kind of artificial "light" sources, as in carrying a torch would help seeing in the night/fog. At least on adventurer mode.

An hypothetical example:
Vision on regular sunny day: 20 tiles
Vision on regular night :10 tiles
Vision on regular night carrying a lit torch: 15 tiles

Or maybe for the next release? :P

The lighting arc was planned to be last, but at this rate it may well come up next. It may be a requirement for the army stuff.... or even for getting taverns working properly.

So dwarves and light. I know lighting isn't in the game yet, but when it does go in, how screwed will we be if we lack a source of light to use while digging? Do you intend dwarves to have a kind of "darkvision" which allows them to see in darkness out to a reasonable distance, or will they have similar trouble in darkness?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: May 17, 2013, 07:30:09 pm »

One would think that Dwarves, being underground beings mostly, would have a far better vision than your ordinary human. However they still should require certain levels of light to do certain things.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Gremdavel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gremdavel
« Reply #6397 on: May 17, 2013, 08:09:43 pm »

One would think that Dwarves, being underground beings mostly, would have a far better vision than your ordinary human. However they still should require certain levels of light to do certain things.

To the best of my recollection, in D&D, dwarves (and elves) have infravision.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: May 17, 2013, 08:11:18 pm »

What did they have in Lord of the Rings?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: May 17, 2013, 08:27:25 pm »

Oh... just saying, it would make sense for them to have better night vision, be it infrared capacity, bigger iris for more light intake or whatever one can come up with.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: May 17, 2013, 08:50:59 pm »

Maybe cave adaption won't be exclusively negative in future.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: May 17, 2013, 08:52:52 pm »

Maybe cave adaption won't be exclusively negative in future.
That actually sounds pretty neat.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: May 17, 2013, 08:59:28 pm »

Infrared-vision does not help underground. You would see other beings (maybe) but wouldnt see walls or objects. Left out in a cave or tunnel the walls, ground ,your objects etc. would quickly go to a equalized temperature. Its like a snow-white Pony in the snow.

Nightvision in tech works normaly by amplyfing signal (and noise by either lengthening exposure or combining charges) which doesnt work if you have no source for a signal which generates enough contrast. That or you keep a IR source near by, say a couple of IR-LEDs, those light bounces of an object/being and sets of your photocells.

Echolocation is a bit better i think.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Gremdavel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gremdavel
« Reply #6403 on: May 17, 2013, 10:17:11 pm »

Infrared-vision does not help underground. You would see other beings (maybe) but wouldnt see walls or objects. Left out in a cave or tunnel the walls, ground ,your objects etc. would quickly go to a equalized temperature. Its like a snow-white Pony in the snow.

If it gets implemented, we'll just have to build more constructions and items out of nether-cap :-)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: May 17, 2013, 10:56:05 pm »

What did they have in Lord of the Rings?

Shit vision.

In the Hobbit, the dwarves actually end up figuring out that Bilbo has better low-light vision. And Elves of course are even better yet. Though in Lord of the Rings and partially implied in the Hobbit, dwarves have a natural sense when in mines/caves which helped Gimli find his way around a cave in Helm's Deep. (Which sounds more or less like what dwarves already do. Granted Gimli wasn't much help in Moria... which like Battlefailed and Failcannon is really big and filled with multiple paths to everywhere and nowhere which ultimately break the dwarves' natural pathing algorithm.)
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 748