Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807277 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6375 on: May 16, 2013, 07:37:13 pm »

With the latest work, exactly how much is left on the to-do list? With creatures having their vision fogged, will this affect their behaviour when invading sites?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: May 16, 2013, 07:42:53 pm »

This next release shall be beautiful...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: May 16, 2013, 08:47:36 pm »

Are creatures with good night vision a thing now?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: May 16, 2013, 09:31:30 pm »

If not for this release, then I would guess that since creatures will now by default be as blind as the player is, it will open up the possibility of legitimate species or caste-specific night vision and fog-vision. I'd suspect bogeymen, night trolls and cavern beasts to be the first candidates for things like this.
It's going to be awesome either way, and be more balanced for players in adventure mode.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: May 17, 2013, 12:03:06 am »

Vampires have "blood vision" next version, so that seems likelyish.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: May 17, 2013, 02:49:29 am »

If not for this release, then I would guess that since creatures will now by default be as blind as the player is, it will open up the possibility of legitimate species or caste-specific night vision and fog-vision. I'd suspect bogeymen, night trolls and cavern beasts to be the first candidates for things like this.
It's going to be awesome either way, and be more balanced for players in adventure mode.
I was thinking more of owls. Creatures with magic vision are nice, but realistic normal creatures are more important in this, IMO.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: May 17, 2013, 04:55:44 am »

I was thinking more of owls. Creatures with magic vision are nice, but realistic normal creatures are more important in this, IMO.

Cats should have pretty strong night vision too. It'd be perfect if night vision was a raw-controllable number that you could use to specify how many tiles a creature can see at night

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: May 17, 2013, 07:37:31 am »

I am so delighted to see that it was only 6 days between "Time to get re-aquainted with the stealth and vision arc code" to "well, that went well, let's move on to tracking, shall we?"

I'm not frothing at the bit for the next release, only a healthy amount of anticipation.  The joy for me in this is watching development moving along at a satisfying pace, and having the privelidge to share that process with the creators.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: May 17, 2013, 07:52:36 am »

I find it funny how the development is moving so fast and yet the 1.0 is planned for 2038 or so.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: May 17, 2013, 08:28:22 am »

Will the vision arcs and night/dark impairment and all that apply to Fortress Mode? Will this mean that we are also getting light sources for this release (maybe in some crude form at least)?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:59:33 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: May 17, 2013, 09:05:48 am »

Will the vision arcs and night/dark impairment and all that apply to Fortress Mode? Will this mean that we are also getting light sources for this release (maybe in some crude form at least)?

Can't comment on vision arcs, but day/night cycles and light sources in Fortress Mode would be a big deal and we'd have heard.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: May 17, 2013, 11:16:58 am »

What I mean, is that if fog or other conditions impair your vision, maybe Toady also includes some kind of artificial "light" sources, as in carrying a torch would help seeing in the night/fog. At least on adventurer mode.

An hypothetical example:
Vision on regular sunny day: 20 tiles
Vision on regular night :10 tiles
Vision on regular night carrying a lit torch: 15 tiles

Or maybe for the next release? :P
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: May 17, 2013, 11:28:33 am »

On creatures with multiple heads and vision:
An artist I watch has a critter where each head has its own personality and outlook on the world (decent description on that page).  While likely out of scope for DF (hydras having one mind per brain rather than one mind total), I was wondering if it would be possible to specify in the RAWs different levels of vision on each head (e.g. one head can see in the dark, the others can't) and how the vision system would handle that.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: May 17, 2013, 11:51:36 am »

On creatures with multiple heads and vision:
An artist I watch has a critter where each head has its own personality and outlook on the world (decent description on that page).  While likely out of scope for DF (hydras having one mind per brain rather than one mind total), I was wondering if it would be possible to specify in the RAWs different levels of vision on each head (e.g. one head can see in the dark, the others can't) and how the vision system would handle that.

For that matter, which heads would keep watch?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: May 17, 2013, 02:56:18 pm »

All of them?
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 748