Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806372 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6225 on: May 02, 2013, 08:10:17 am »

More likely if is fast enough ;)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: May 02, 2013, 10:08:21 am »

I'm not sure about hydras.  Some depictions hiss and snap between heads, some don't (by design or omission, I don't know).

This might be kind of relevant. I was reading something about the mental capabilies of animals, and according to a study snakes lack a centralized awareness:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So in this case, a hydra would probably be more mentally advanced (because of magic? or just because of how complex they are) than a snake but it seems there's somewhat of a precedent of 'separated awareness' in some reptiles. They all work together in a snake, so maybe it's just a bit more complex in hydras (several sets of sensory awareness instead of one).

As for Ettins, I doubt this would come up in gameplay in any way at all, but split brain studies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-brain (where, for medical reasons, the bit connecting the two halves of the brain is split) causes some interesting things to happen.

Of course, this is probably too biological and not magic enough for a fantasy game, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: May 02, 2013, 10:11:08 am »

Nothing is too biological for DF. Keep in mind that internal organs are modelled, and Dwarves have bigger livers than other races.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: May 02, 2013, 10:27:17 am »

That's interesting, and as Japa says, dwarf fortress has an ample base of biology that is deterministic to how the game is played and the outcomes of interactions (mostly violent ones).

It also has magic, it suits all tastes.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: May 02, 2013, 10:34:22 am »

Quote from: TheDorf
Will vision at night be updated with this release? I haven't read anything about it, but thought it seemed logical to update along with sneaking.
If not, when are you planning to do this? Sneaking into a camp at night is a pain right now, seeing as you can't see a campfire or anything from a distance.

I haven't gotten into it, if I remember.  I don't think the list of necessary changes is that long, since we haven't done much with lighting at all...  so when you say "a campfire or anything"...  is there anything else?  Just fires you set or something?  There's the issue of enemy vision, which is completely different now.
Alright, thanks. At the moment, I'm talking about campfires (Assuming camps would get campfires if you updated vision at night), and torches later on when (if?) they get added. Seeing as you don't seem to have any plans for updating lighting this release, may I ask when you think updated lighting could make it?
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: May 02, 2013, 11:31:06 am »

Hey, Toady, you haven't posted the link to your FoTF reply in your devlog yet.

Apparantly something wrong with my computer.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:58:56 am by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: May 02, 2013, 11:38:31 am »

He did post it earlier today.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:18:07 pm by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: May 02, 2013, 11:58:10 am »

He did post it earlier today.
hmm... Every time I check, it's not showing up, maybe something wrong with my computer, I'll go un-color it.
The Derail Thread

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: May 02, 2013, 11:59:16 am »

How do I donate money?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: May 02, 2013, 12:04:32 pm »

How do I donate money?
You can go to This Page.
Just scroll down to find the support button
The Derail Thread

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: May 02, 2013, 12:26:49 pm »

I'm not sure about hydras.  Some depictions hiss and snap between heads, some don't (by design or omission, I don't know).

This might be kind of relevant. I was reading something about the mental capabilies of animals, and according to a study snakes lack a centralized awareness:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So in this case, a hydra would probably be more mentally advanced (because of magic? or just because of how complex they are) than a snake but it seems there's somewhat of a precedent of 'separated awareness' in some reptiles. They all work together in a snake, so maybe it's just a bit more complex in hydras (several sets of sensory awareness instead of one).

As for Ettins, I doubt this would come up in gameplay in any way at all, but split brain studies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-brain (where, for medical reasons, the bit connecting the two halves of the brain is split) causes some interesting things to happen.

Of course, this is probably too biological and not magic enough for a fantasy game, I just wanted to share my thoughts.
I saw a two-headed lizard on TV. It was a gila monster, I think. Apparently the two heads are separate and mostly control different sides of the body, so it is difficult to move.

They named the two heads "Zack" and "Wheezy". I thought I had that show out of my head, too...
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: May 02, 2013, 01:59:11 pm »

Well since a hydra is bigger one can asume that the brains have also more volume. From personal experience i can say that bigger dogs often (especially the ones for herd-protection which are bread for self sufficency) are "more" intelligent then say a "Yorkshire Terrier". So more volume and surface in a brain/in brains can translate into more intelligence. Looking at Ravens and Parrots it also does not need much brain for semi-intelligent and social behavior. 

On the other hands many dinosaurs had brains the size of a walnut - so its all open to speculation. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: May 02, 2013, 02:09:26 pm »

Well, they had their many million years quota to destroy the planet and did nothing. Now we are doing it in less than a million years, that proves that proportional size of the brain and the body accounts for more belligerency. :P

On a serious note, I would think that an animal with that many brains would have coordination issues unless one of the heads take control of the body and the others just tag along and control only from their necks up, kind of a the leader of the gang and it's comic relief minions.

Or maybe it's a single entity/mind, in that case each head it's just yet another limb of the individual, perhaps carrying the advantage that it can lose it's head X amount of times with no problem. Or it could also be that this unique personality is distributed (evenly or unevenly) among the heads, and as you cut them the creature loses intelligence/reflexes/ability/coherency or whatever.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: May 02, 2013, 02:14:10 pm »

Having more autonomy to each hydra head would probably be good for the simple reason that it's something interesting that sets the hydra apart from a giant millipede.

Exactly how to make hydra heads act disjointedly is an open question, however.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: May 02, 2013, 03:25:01 pm »

Well a gigant millipede would be dead if you slice it's unique head, or at least it will be blind and, errhh deaf (do they have hearing?) and it wouldn't be able to "sniff for you" (don't know how to call the olfactory impaired).

I don't see the hydra not having each head working independently from up to a certain degree.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 748