Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805976 times)

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6180 on: April 29, 2013, 07:02:28 pm »

People have talked about this in the last few pages, but I don't think it's been put in green yet, so...
In games like SimCity, you can set the simulation speed to slow, medium, fast, very fast, and so on. How feasible would a similar system for Fortress Mode be? Maybe the slowest speed could the same as adventure mode, while the fastest speed would be the same time scale we currently have (72x).

Well, the main slowdown is pathing and unit movement. Unfortunately, those can't be sped up to 72x real speed, so dwarves just eat only once a month (or however often it is) and they only sleep a couple times a year for a few weeks each.

Basically, DF runs as fast as it can already. It can't go any faster. If we slow everything down, then nothing will get done because it'll take two days real-time for a dwarf to get from one end of the dining room table to the other.

Not that I don't like the idea. In fact, in ten years when computers are 100 times faster (that is, 6 or so cycles of moore's law), then it will be totally possible to do just that and we can have an in-game controller.
72x speed means the same speed we have now. 1x speed means the same time scale as adventure mode. Dwarves would be going at the same speed in 1x mode as they are right now.
This might clear a few things up: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Time
There was a discussion a couple pages back about the problems the current time scale causes. It makes interaction between Fortress Mode and Adventure Mode a lot more problematic, for one. Also, it means it takes a dwarf several weeks to walk over to the other side of the map.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21:49 pm »

With the new jump mechanics, will we start to see jumping elephants? Or jumping carp?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: April 29, 2013, 10:31:32 pm »

Silly, elephants can't jump.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: April 29, 2013, 10:37:30 pm »

Silly, elephants can't jump.
Not in real life, they can't
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: April 29, 2013, 10:40:38 pm »

Buagh... that must taste bad, specially if is executive meat. That is rotten even before the butcher.
You think that's bad, try Apple copyright lawyer.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6185 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:18 am »

People have talked about this in the last few pages, but I don't think it's been put in green yet, so...
In games like SimCity, you can set the simulation speed to slow, medium, fast, very fast, and so on. How feasible would a similar system for Fortress Mode be? Maybe the slowest speed could the same as adventure mode, while the fastest speed would be the same time scale we currently have (72x).

Well, the main slowdown is pathing and unit movement. Unfortunately, those can't be sped up to 72x real speed, so dwarves just eat only once a month (or however often it is) and they only sleep a couple times a year for a few weeks each.

Basically, DF runs as fast as it can already. It can't go any faster. If we slow everything down, then nothing will get done because it'll take two days real-time for a dwarf to get from one end of the dining room table to the other.

Not that I don't like the idea. In fact, in ten years when computers are 100 times faster (that is, 6 or so cycles of moore's law), then it will be totally possible to do just that and we can have an in-game controller.
72x speed means the same speed we have now. 1x speed means the same time scale as adventure mode. Dwarves would be going at the same speed in 1x mode as they are right now.
There was a discussion a couple pages back about the problems the current time scale causes. It makes interaction between Fortress Mode and Adventure Mode a lot more problematic, for one. Also, it means it takes a dwarf several weeks to walk over to the other side of the map.

I understand that. But if the dwarves' actions were made to take as long as the do in Adventure mode, then everything needs to be changed to the adventure mode speed- including, for instance, water flows and other processor-intensive things. If all of these things are made to occurr 72x more frequently than they do now, where is the extra processing power going to come from?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: April 30, 2013, 02:26:40 am »

Haven't you heard of the new 200GHz single core processor out on the market?

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: April 30, 2013, 02:57:40 am »

I understand that. But if the dwarves' actions were made to take as long as the do in Adventure mode, then everything needs to be changed to the adventure mode speed- including, for instance, water flows and other processor-intensive things. If all of these things are made to occurr 72x more frequently than they do now, where is the extra processing power going to come from?
Well, but I think the idea that people were talking about a couple pages back was that the game time would just be 72x slower, so you would still get ticks at the same rate, which would mean things don't need to occur 72 times more frequently in real time, so you wouldn't need a much faster processor. It would require recalculating a bunch of things, such as the liquid flow speed that you mentioned -- although it might be that that's another thing that currently makes more sense at the adventure mode speed than at the dwarf fortress mode speed -- but those are just things Toady would program the numbers in for ahead of time.

Actually running the game such that a tick occurs 72 times as often is another question, and that is actually quite interesting. You would avoid many of the problems with the game getting boring, or various events such as trade caravans and invasions happening way too infrequently in real time to be interesting (whether you agree with such assessments or not). You wouldn't need to abstract things either, such as the pathing. You would still have the issue that things would be hard to follow, but that might not be too bad, it's hard to say ahead of time. Of course, the problem there is, as you mentioned, limitations in the available hardware (especially if you did still want to show every tick on the screen). But by the time something like this would be implemented, we'd probably be many years further down the line, so I think it's a very real possibility to take into account.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: April 30, 2013, 06:27:57 am »

also, the water flow mechanisms right now are severely flawed and obviously need a rework at some point. any argument based on their current state is invalid.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: April 30, 2013, 07:09:28 am »

Processing time and requirements would be the same. What we are contemplating is a change in the phase of gameplay. So the adventure and fortress mode time is "seamlessly" integrated (as in the year in fortress mode not going by so fast).

The main issue there is that if for example, right now build X thing takes a week, (I don't know how much is that in real life time, I think is about a minute?), by changing the thing to adventure time (no pun intended) the same building would take like an hour in real life time or something along those lines. Then we could have dwarfs that take breaks while building, or things built by several dwarves and things like that, it would be, like pointed out a few pages ago, a slower game in all senses.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:40:50 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6190 on: April 30, 2013, 09:13:27 am »

Processing time and requirements would be the same. What we are contemplating is a change in the phase of gameplay. So the adventure and fortress mode time is "seamlessly" integrated (as in the year in fortress mode not going by so fast).

The main issue there is that if for example, right now build X thing takes a week, (I don't know how much is that in real life time, I think is about a minute?), by changing the thing to adventure time (no pun intended) the same building would take like an hour in real life time or something along those lines. Then we could have dwarfs that take breaks while building, or things built by several dwarves and things like that, it would be, like pointed out a few pages ago, a slower game in all senses.

There is one very stupid assumption in this: That build/action times would not be rebalanced.

It is conciveable, that "big actions" like workshop setup could have half a day - 5 minutes realtime from untrained dwarf and much faster for trained.

There is nothing that says that, i.e., caravans/migrants/ambushes can not happen more often than quaterly.

What if in one month has equivalent event density as one year.

As far as breaks or other things go, they could be much more reasonable - i.e. every 10 days is special day when dwarves take breaks and handle personal stuff. Dwarves would take breaks during evenings, sleep at night and eat during noon. Basically, understandable schedulle instead of semi-random stuff right now.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: April 30, 2013, 11:08:43 am »

I'd definitely support breaks that were twice as often and half as long. The burnt system brands they don't come often, but can be truly dangerous when you have something that one dwarf urgently needs to do.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: April 30, 2013, 11:11:44 am »

Hey, hey, I was just saying what it meant towards processor use.

Of course rebalance on the game mechanics would be needed, I didn't bother mention it because its pretty darn obvious.

As yourself said it would allow them to have some kind of normal cycle (basically what I tried to say). And in this hypothetical dwarf fortress I could foresee a building taking more than a few minutes in real time, specially a important/big one.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:15:00 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6193 on: April 30, 2013, 11:24:06 am »

Well, that's certainly an interesting discussion, but think about that- what now happens in a 2-hour session of dwarf fortress would then take 144 hours of solid playing. That sounds remarkably unrewarding.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: April 30, 2013, 11:32:45 am »

Yeah, that's a down side, unless you trim the year so is shorter or something. Also, if the game is re-balanced then those 2 hours session could see almost all you see in a current 2 hours session. Of course all this is highly hypothetical.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 748