Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806353 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6135 on: April 25, 2013, 05:00:38 pm »

Err.. sure, yeah... why not?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: April 25, 2013, 05:56:13 pm »

Err.. sure, yeah... why not?
If you'll check out my sig, you'll see that I'm doing a DF podcast. I'm still working on it and getting some helpers, but there's one episode already. (Here's a hint: it's no good.) That kind of report sounds like something I could do.
#shamelesspromotion
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: April 26, 2013, 09:01:16 am »

Quite possibly, with the slowed down time, one would pause less?
In any case, paused playeractivities would not increase with slower dwarf-time, as those would take place paused anyhow.

I'm tentatively pro- . . . an optional fast-setting would be cool to have with this, which could use the current steps settings when no critical processes are being run that require this increased detail? Resetting temporarily to something similar to how it is currently or even condensing/abstracting more, making dwarfs jump across the map.
Though something like that would probably require Toady1 to keep two separate sets of code? 
A whole lot of work in any case.
Maybe a way to see your fortress grow in a fast abstracted way will eventually evolve from being able to temporarilly leave fortress mode.
Will it eventually be possible to leave the Fortress and see it evolve/cope in hisory mode?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: April 26, 2013, 09:17:58 am »

That's most of what's this release its supposed to be. In the next release you'll be able to leave the fort without abandoning it. That's it, you'll be able to create a fort, leave it to it's own. Then make adventurer(s) or another(s) fort(s), and then go back (not needing to reclaiming it) to the first fort if it's still on foot.

My guessing is that while you are away from the fort, and as history (I think, don't quote me on that) goes along with gameplay now, the fortress you create but are not currently attending will keep up with the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:28:36 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: April 26, 2013, 09:23:19 am »

Wow so with ALL the possible things we make when we run a fortress,no matter how crazy it is, it will still continue to function even after we leave it for sometime and even keep up with the world's history.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: April 26, 2013, 11:22:54 am »

Wow so with ALL the possible things we make when we run a fortress,no matter how crazy it is, it will still continue to function even after we leave it for sometime and even keep up with the world's history.
It'll still be off-loaded, so the most complicated things might not work as intended, especially if they involve fluids. But the things that are simulated (economic and military stuff) should work.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: April 26, 2013, 11:41:43 am »

It'll still be off-loaded, so the most complicated things might not work as intended, especially if they involve fluids. But the things that are simulated (economic and military stuff) should work.
Getting really impatient now for the new release, I would really like to see how this gets implemented.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: April 26, 2013, 11:52:55 am »

I have a question: Why fight between which is better, slow time or fast time, when you can have the option to swap between them during play? Thus if you want to get something quickly done, speed time up, if you want to watch things as they progress, slow it down. This way things aren't glacial, although you would notice that sped up time would move by faster due to the game then being centered around slow play, you could still play in fast mode if you wished.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: April 26, 2013, 12:19:07 pm »

I have a question: Why fight between which is better, slow time or fast time, when you can have the option to swap between them during play? Thus if you want to get something quickly done, speed time up, if you want to watch things as they progress, slow it down. This way things aren't glacial, although you would notice that sped up time would move by faster due to the game then being centered around slow play, you could still play in fast mode if you wished.
Of course, that would be ideal. But I'm not so sure about feasibility.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: April 26, 2013, 12:59:23 pm »

How many bug-fix releases do you expect to need to do after the new version is released so the game is in a stable state?
Edit: Is this better phrased?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:19:44 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: April 26, 2013, 01:27:06 pm »

How many bug-fix releases do you expect to need to do after the new version is released?

The only accurate answer would be "a few"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: April 26, 2013, 01:34:50 pm »

How many bug-fix releases do you expect to need to do after the new version is released?
That isn't really an answerable question. "As many as needed" or "Until I feel I need to add features to the game again" are probably the closest you can get as a realistic answer.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: April 26, 2013, 02:28:16 pm »

I don't know, but it could be quite a few, specially this being, as far I'm concerned, the biggest update ever made (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm relative new to DF). I haven't counted the bugfixes Toady has made for past versions, but is safe to assume quite a few.

With this update, the foundations are lay for a lot of things like true armies marching around, true merchants, and so on. But what's more important, it enhances and expands the scope of the game as we can now dynamically really build up empires, even if it has to be one place at the time.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: April 26, 2013, 02:47:10 pm »

Quite possibly, with the slowed down time, one would pause less?
In any case, paused playeractivities would not increase with slower dwarf-time, as those would take place paused anyhow.

I'm tentatively pro- . . . an optional fast-setting would be cool to have with this, which could use the current steps settings when no critical processes are being run that require this increased detail? Resetting temporarily to something similar to how it is currently or even condensing/abstracting more, making dwarfs jump across the map.
Though something like that would probably require Toady1 to keep two separate sets of code? 
A whole lot of work in any case.
Maybe a way to see your fortress grow in a fast abstracted way will eventually evolve from being able to temporarilly leave fortress mode.
Will it eventually be possible to leave the Fortress and see it evolve/cope in hisory mode?
You will be able to leave fortress mode in this release. However, it will not be possible to resume wordgen, as that would require re-abstracting the fort. So you could build another fort, look in legends, or play as an adventurer, but not to run worlgen again. The ability to skip forward in time at a slower rate has not been announced, except for the automatic time skips before starting a new fort or adventurer. 

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: April 26, 2013, 03:20:18 pm »

I don't know, but it could be quite a few, specially this being, as far I'm concerned, the biggest update ever made (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm relatively new to DF).
The 2010 release came out after 1 year and 7 months, which would be the biggest update in terms of development time. The update with the biggest changes was probably the transition from 2D to 3D.

Still, the upcoming update is very exciting. I think it has a very good mixture of playable features and framework for future improvement.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 748