Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807192 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6045 on: April 14, 2013, 02:49:25 am »

Hasn't it already been established that the lack of resistance a skull provides is because the curvature of objects is not considered? In other words, skulls are more brittle because the geometric force deflection of objects isn't considered in DF?

Nope. A wood arrow currently (in vanilla DF) can fracture adamantine armor and tear the flesh underneath. I say "fracture" because this is a function of blunt (impact) damage rather than piercing (shear) damage. Most projectiles are rather high energy right now, and the bone is just weak vs blunt damage.

All thrown objects travel at the same velocity (100, 1/10 of default bolt velocity), so heavy objects that have a small contact area will do more damage.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: April 14, 2013, 04:06:22 am »

404: Page not found.

Jokes aside, Toady, have you ever considering making livestreams of your progress so far? Not necessarily of all things, since spoiling too much would be inappropriate, but there are things that I/we think deserve to be shown on video. (despite how video-unfriendly Dwarf Fortress is)

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: April 14, 2013, 05:02:27 am »

Jokes aside, Toady, have you ever considering making livestreams of your progress so far? Not necessarily of all things, since spoiling too much would be inappropriate, but there are things that I/we think deserve to be shown on video. (despite how video-unfriendly Dwarf Fortress is)

Stuff like the Hydra Testing?
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: April 14, 2013, 05:36:20 am »

Stuff like the Hydra Testing?
Stuff like the Hydra Testing.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: April 14, 2013, 12:07:50 pm »

That would slow Toady down, I'd rather he not doing it.

Hasn't it already been established that the lack of resistance a skull provides is because the curvature of objects is not considered? In other words, skulls are more brittle because the geometric force deflection of objects isn't considered in DF?

Nope. A wood arrow currently (in vanilla DF) can fracture adamantine armor and tear the flesh underneath. I say "fracture" because this is a function of blunt (impact) damage rather than piercing (shear) damage. Most projectiles are rather high energy right now, and the bone is just weak vs blunt damage.

All thrown objects travel at the same velocity (100, 1/10 of default bolt velocity), so heavy objects that have a small contact area will do more damage.

Yeah, the problem with the bow/crossbow is that they are more akin to railguns. I hope Toady fix that soon.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: April 14, 2013, 12:10:04 pm »

i wonder, will we si a fix in the flux stone bug in the next version?, its practically impossible to generate a world with flux stone under "metal = everywhere"

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: April 14, 2013, 12:32:37 pm »

That would slow Toady down, I'd rather he not doing it.

That was my thought too.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: April 14, 2013, 02:38:11 pm »

in regards to the drunkenness of dwarves, perhaps they have a different brain chemistry than humans, and thus get drunk off of water, as their brain needs alcohol to function.  so a dwarf bed ridden by injury would drink water as it helps with healing, but would be drunk off his ass, while a healthy dwarf would drink alcohol to keep from being drunk.  furthermore if different creatures need different things then trading with another civilization would be beneficial for goods they don't need but that you do, and vice versa.  imagine if humans only drink alcohol occasionally, then good dwarven alcohol would be a luxury item to them, with a wider range of price that they would be willing to spend for it based on their own wealth, after all a poor settlement would waste precious resources on something that wasn't necessary.  while a poor dwarf civ would pay for cheap alcohol pretty consistently, as it was necessary to their survival.

so i guess my question is this:
is there any plans for different civilizations having different necessities, allowing for different dynamics to the trading system, and (eventually) requirements when running a non dwarf fort, such as humans not needing alcohol to function, or maybe elves needing nuts as part of their diet (as dwarves need alcohol)?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:42:13 pm by jamoecw »

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: April 14, 2013, 03:29:32 pm »

is there any plans for different civilizations having different necessities, allowing for different dynamics to the trading system, and (eventually) requirements when running a non dwarf fort, such as humans not needing alcohol to function, or maybe elves needing nuts as part of their diet (as dwarves need alcohol)?

Yes, it's intended, but as for the requirements for non-dwarf forts, it has been answered up there a couple of times that they'll be properly implemented when all the desired aspects of running a dwarf fortress are implemented. Well, who knows, "no timeline", as always.

As soon as the economy gets it's rails, there will surely be things like demand and willingness to pay (also things to pay for, both in fortresses and adventures), also different currency exchanges based on avaliability and wealth; right now the only stuff that might be considered as a traveller's cheque are gems, and one civilization's coins are completely worthless for the next one. Maybe there will be space to freely develop alternative economy models that aren't restricted to capitalism and obnoxious wealth accumulation, or maybe different cultures and races will lean towards certain preferences. I think that'll happen after caravans, travellers and in-site workers (human quarries, elven orchards) become less abstracted.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: April 15, 2013, 01:44:51 pm »

I think pre-medieval currency value was based mainly on metal content and purity.

coins are suposedly pure gold, worth literally their weight in gold.
counterfeit currency of inferior alloy are a possible villainous plot twist for the far future.

Overlord: "Here you go Hero: 100 Golden coloured coins from my personal chests. As a reward for your exploits!"
Hero: "Yay!"
later that day, at the armourer's ...
Hero : "Thanks for making that wonderful steel plate master smith! Here is your money."
Shopkeep: "Hey! What are you trying to pull? These are gilded lead coins! Guards!!!"
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: April 15, 2013, 05:27:36 pm »

Would have been funny is the Overlord and armorer was the same person

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: April 15, 2013, 06:16:55 pm »

You just know that's going to be one of the first bugs we get if counterfeit coins are a thing; adventurer is given counterfeit coins, attempts to spend them in trade or whatever with whomever just gave him the coins, who then calls the guards on 'em.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: April 15, 2013, 08:36:43 pm »

You just know that's going to be one of the first bugs we get if counterfeit coins are a thing; adventurer is given counterfeit coins, attempts to spend them in trade or whatever with whomever just gave him the coins, who then calls the guards on 'em.

Bug, or feature?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: April 15, 2013, 09:04:30 pm »

regardless, it's gonna be reported as one initially.   

Speaking of guards, though, which update(s) are properly behaving guards replying to shopkeepers/lifters planned for?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: April 15, 2013, 10:37:08 pm »

regardless, it's gonna be reported as one initially.   

Speaking of guards, though, which update(s) are properly behaving guards replying to shopkeepers/lifters planned for?

Later.
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 748