Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807064 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5985 on: April 09, 2013, 09:11:26 pm »

Hmm, having to mangle corpses before burial would cause severe unrest. Didn't he say he planned to make sarcophagi hold better, depending on the weight of it's material (and thus the lid)?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:16 pm »

Toady, what are your thoughts on making us able to self mutilate as a way of getting rid of deadly infections

Dangerous at best:
PowerGoal183, JUST A LITTLE MORE!, (Future): You are running through the woods when you get shot in the gut by a barbed arrow. The bowel is knicked, and the wound goes septic. You dig desperately at the wound but it only ends up getting more dirty and infected. Eventually your digging becomes so vigorous that your guts pop out through the hole.

This Hydra test, does that involve the hydra regrowing heads?

No.  Regeneration is a separate feature that hasn't been mentioned for this release.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:48:17 pm by Footkerchief »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: April 09, 2013, 10:46:59 pm »

What specifically in the raws prevents the multi-attack penalty for hydras? Some kind of [AUTONOMOUS] tag on each head? Does the body itself attack independently of the heads? (kicking, etc.)

The fact that hydras are legit now is all kinds of cool beans.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: April 09, 2013, 11:54:18 pm »

What specifically in the raws prevents the multi-attack penalty for hydras? Some kind of [AUTONOMOUS] tag on each head? Does the body itself attack independently of the heads? (kicking, etc.)
The fact that hydras are legit now is all kinds of cool beans.
Im guessing that the body will follow one of the heads, and the rest will be independant, so basically you have "hydra head 1 + body" and 6 more independant heads. But that's just a guess.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:02 am »

From Toady's wording, it seems to be an attack flag, so it would be the attack definitions that get the tag. Would mean that things like mariliths that wield six weapons at once without penalty likely aren't possible unless there are other mechanics.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5990 on: April 10, 2013, 03:57:48 am »

They can wield the six weapons at once, and use them to defend and so on (which would work pretty well against other weapons as things stand), and attack with any single one they want while the others are defending (which leaves five defending weapons, which is good) -- or they can attack with a few weapons simultaneously at a penalty and defend with four, etc.  Why they shouldn't be penalized for simultaneous attacks is more complicated, since the arguments for the penalties have to do in part with putting your body into things and using stance points to anchor strikes and so on, and that is partially independent of the number of arms (though arms coming from the same direction could be anchored the same way, perhaps).  I haven't done anything with that.  Hydras have special flags for their bite attacks because they can be performed simultaneously without penalty, since the hydras necks are independent and the body isn't involved to nearly the same degree.

But, yeah, the larger point hasn't been addressed for wielded objects... if you had some sort of hydra-neck-limb independent of the body that should be able to whip a weapon around independently, it can't be done yet.  I went with attacks since it is a higher resolution than the body part, and you can imagine scenarios where a single body part has an independent attack, a regular attack, and a bad-for-multi-attack (a tag which is used for kicks now).  At the same time, there does need to be some sort of bp-wielding-item handling -- and it has to play nice with the item flags, since items also have the hydra-style independence flag available, etc.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: April 10, 2013, 04:01:37 am »

Thanks, Toady!
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: April 10, 2013, 04:03:05 am »

They can wield the six weapons at once, and use them to defend and so on (which would work pretty well against other weapons as things stand), and attack with any single one they want while the others are defending (which leaves five defending weapons, which is good) -- or they can attack with a few weapons simultaneously at a penalty and defend with four, etc.  Why they shouldn't be penalized for simultaneous attacks is more complicated, since the arguments for the penalties have to do in part with putting your body into things and using stance points to anchor strikes and so on, and that is partially independent of the number of arms (though arms coming from the same direction could be anchored the same way, perhaps).  I haven't done anything with that.  Hydras have special flags for their bite attacks because they can be performed simultaneously without penalty, since the hydras necks are independent and the body isn't involved to nearly the same degree.

It is honestly sound Toady like you are edging towards the combat arc where you might have to flesh out combat styles. Though given its intensity I have no doubt it isn't coming out anytime soon (or even this year)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5993 on: April 10, 2013, 04:46:12 am »

The attack/move split opened a chasm in the game that needed to be cleaned up, and we added some stuff to that according to taste (all of this parry stuff came up because having attacks separated out as their own move over several clicks made the old system of deflection too ridiculous), but I'm definitely not doing combat styles, stances, reach, good wrestling... etc. this time.  That'll be in a not-this-release release.  So it's half-assed, as usual.  We're aiming for playable, and I don't think that needs the combat styles.  They'd be nice, but I'm exercising self control and stuff.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: April 10, 2013, 06:41:30 am »

Good to see the hydra test went well. That's always a nice milestone nearing the end of the release. Good luck with non-lethal combat, Toady!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: April 10, 2013, 06:47:52 am »

Everyone loves a Hydra test!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: April 10, 2013, 08:04:53 am »

Everyone loves a Hydra test!

Especially with wookie style dismemberment.  Combat sounds really great now.  It's pretty incredible when the core combat mechanics become as detailed as this, and yet they are only a fraction of the whole game. 
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:34 am »

So HOW close is the release now?
Since combat is seemingly almost done, and I suppose that there isn't a whole lot else after that. (pulping/mangling, kobold camps, non-lethal combat?)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: April 10, 2013, 09:53:06 am »

Quote from: Devlog
Next up'll be some tweaks to non-lethal combat damage and yielding, which'll get us out of combat and back to other things.
It'll also get adventures out of combat and back to other things.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: April 10, 2013, 11:15:42 am »

So HOW close is the release now?
Since combat is seemingly almost done, and I suppose that there isn't a whole lot else after that. (pulping/mangling, kobold camps, non-lethal combat?)
The rest of the dwarf site work (Toady mentioned that some Fort stuff isn't done yet), finalizing site stuff in general (he mentioned that some goblin stuff overlapped with dwarf work), finalizing succession stuff, finalizing tracking, finalizing trees and tree-related jobs, possibly some entity faction work and raw entry, and of course pre-release cleanup.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 748