Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806654 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5955 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:19 pm »

I'm going to guess that dwarves are short and stocky, while elves and goblins are long and lanky, and humans are like Shaq to all.

As for their origins, seeing as DF will eventually generate fantasy worlds rather than recreating a very specific one but with a different map, I'm going to guess the origin of species is ambiguous and left open to interpretation. The three basic conventions are creationism, standard evolution, and supernatural evolution.

Whatever party responsible for creating the world could have created them all as separate lineages. Dwarves, elves, and goblins could have split off from humans due to living with certain influences (demons, the underground, nature spirits, deities of various spheres, primal magical forces, etc. The other races could have come from various spirits or other supernatural entities interbreeding with humans, or are the descendants of such entities who took humanoid form or became anthropomorphic for whatever reason.

Elves could literally be descended from whatever natural force they worship, sprung from the soil as it's envoy to mankind or something. Dwarves could be likewise for the more mineral parts of the earth. Both could then have gone there own way after forgetting about the whole ambassador thing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: April 06, 2013, 11:12:10 pm »

Pulping was one of the things I've been most excited for but I'm concerned about the ability of pulped things to heal. Wouldn't the muscle be damaged to the point of irreparable disuse, even if it healed to not be a danger to the victim (no internal bleeding, infection etc.)?

Will the nerve damage and bones shattered to dust from the pulping of a limb by repeated hammer strikes render that limb permanently unusable? Will bones be able to heal being completely pulverized?

Granted, I am very tired and not particularly aware of the ability for the body to heal from a similar situation in real life, but I'd imagine there'd be a point for blunt trauma to render bones to nothing and muscle unusable.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: April 06, 2013, 11:26:24 pm »

Muscle can heal from a surprising amount of damage, but there's a point where it just becomes a useless mass of scar tissue. If a bone gets pulverized to dust, there's really nothing that can be done, barring superhuman regeneration.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5958 on: April 06, 2013, 11:31:01 pm »

I guess the idea is that "pulping" is really all about the undead and reanimation.  Sometimes the damage is too much to heal from, and sometimes, perhaps more rarely, it is just several breaks that you'd be able to heal from in real-life but which preclude animation from working.  In both cases, it'll have the over-the-top combat announcement, but the exact natural of the injuries will determine if the dwarf can successfully convalesce.  There'll be a time in the future where you might be able to grind a critter into a new sort of tissue slurry material, but I decided it wasn't worth it at this point, and it wasn't really what I was looking for to solve this problem.  The parts are still essentially pulp when they sustain this much damage, and I don't think useful healing will be that common, especially with nerves as they are.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: April 07, 2013, 02:06:29 am »

Hmmm

Toady have you gave any more thought into creatures being made out of Sand, Water, or Air but who aren't weak or fragile?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: April 07, 2013, 03:08:05 am »

I think a better term for this is not pulping but mangling.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: April 07, 2013, 03:14:43 am »

I recall you said that even the most mangled limb will not automatically sever.
But suppose the main structure of a limb (in a man's case, the bone) is ruined beyond all integrity so that the limb is hanging by a few muscle threads, would a sufficiently damaged limb be easier to sever by blade or even by 'pinching'?

Also, will 'colliding with an obstacle' still burst a creature apart to its component limbs, or will it also use the new system and become a gooey, unbutcherable mess -ruining many an efficient butcher's tower?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:20:08 am by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: April 07, 2013, 04:07:39 am »

Pulping is better for the image. It essentially is when something is just a useless pile of meat or chalk or dust.

While a Mangled arm could be really damaged but still functional enough for the undead.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: April 07, 2013, 05:18:53 am »

Or if elves (whether passively or actively) enable trees to grow extra huge and old. Although the sort of elves normally depicted as living within tree trunks are the sort that are about knee-high to a human. Tolkein-based elves tend to build homes cantilevered off the trunks.
As I mentioned, trees from Elven trees can be larger because of elven "magic". To quote a Toady Devlog:
  There are lots of orchards now, and the elves grow other important trees for various purposes. The orchards are currently stuck with the products from the old tree raws (chestnuts, mangos and coconuts), but that should be diversified significantly. The residential etc. trees aren't strictly natural, so you'll get some places that are flatter and smoother grown into them, but even those trees still use the standard tree growing algorithm and there's plenty of regular vegetation to go around.

Also not even humans are guarantee to have common ancestry with apes in DF. As HugoLuman stated, they could have come from gods creation. Elves, that are normally seem as more "magical" creatures, probably didn't come from them.

And wouldn't be better if we asked Toady about trees directly? Like, will we be able to modify the raws for trees so to make them more realistic and how close to reality (in both of height and width) the new trees are?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:21:11 am by arkhometha »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: April 07, 2013, 07:25:11 am »

Pulping is better for the image. It essentially is when something is just a useless pile of meat or chalk or dust.

They should have quality modifiers so we can tell how likely they are to rise again.

This is a fine useless pile of Giant Mosquito. It's made of finely pulped Giant Mosquito meat, finely pulped Giant Mosquito brain and finely pulped Giant Mosquito ichor.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: April 07, 2013, 11:44:32 am »

Also, will 'colliding with an obstacle' still burst a creature apart to its component limbs, or will it also use the new system and become a gooey, unbutcherable mess -ruining many an efficient butcher's tower?

Actually, things colliding with an obstacle haven't butchered or exploded into gore on impact for a long time now. They just fracture whatever part they landed on.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: April 07, 2013, 12:30:24 pm »

While a Mangled arm could be really damaged but still functional enough for the undead.
But it's not a pile of chalk or dust. It's just a body part with so many broken bones, that it can't be made to grasp or bite anymore. That's why the term pulping is confusing; it's not a pulp. Turning things to dust isn't in this release.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: April 07, 2013, 04:01:21 pm »

But it's not a pile of chalk or dust. It's just a body part with so many broken bones, that it can't be made to grasp or bite anymore. That's why the term pulping is confusing; it's not a pulp. Turning things to dust isn't in this release.

If something with a rock arm has been "Pulped" it has been dusted :D

They should have quality modifiers so we can tell how likely they are to rise again

Well something that is pulped simply cannot rise again.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: April 07, 2013, 06:35:59 pm »

No, Toady explicitly said that pulping does not mean completely pounding out any structural integrity until the flesh is liquid goop. A rock arm that's "pulped" would just be smashed apart, not completely pounded into dust. "Graveled" maybe, but not "dusted." If we had to liquefy everything to defeat it for good, then Necromancers would wipe out all life and they game would be unplayable.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: April 08, 2013, 01:05:55 am »

Which is precisely why I suggest the term mangled over pulped. It's closer to what Toady has described.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 748