Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805767 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5820 on: March 28, 2013, 06:32:49 pm »

Yes. It is planned for humans especially.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: March 28, 2013, 08:10:06 pm »

At the same time, wings are limbs, and when you have eagle-men, those guys might work best with arms AND wings, even though that technically makes them six-limbed.
I don't know why people don't find centaurs and bird-men and so forth to be creepy, because they're creepy, and for exactly this reason.  You can't make them by swapping out part for cognate part (like DF's mammalian animal-men); you've got to, like, cut the horse off at the neck and the human off at the midsection and stitch disparate bits together, and at that point you may as well be Cyriak.

Or maybe just have hands on the ends of the wings?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: March 28, 2013, 11:39:43 pm »

Considering the last segment of the wing is actually the bird's hand and fingers, it may make more sense for them to develop the old vestigial claws/excess finger/thumb at the wrist.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: March 29, 2013, 01:45:56 am »

Basically, a hand with 2 fingers and a thumb.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: March 29, 2013, 02:30:05 am »

Toady, how is scamps doing?

Toady discussed Scamps in the recent AMA on Reddit.
The fact that this is the question you had a ready answer to jump in with amused me a fair bit.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5825 on: March 29, 2013, 01:09:58 pm »

is terminal velocity currently implemented or will things comtinue to accelerate until collision when falling?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: March 29, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »

is terminal velocity currently implemented or will things comtinue to accelerate until collision when falling?

Moreover, can blocks/tiles be destroyed if something heavy enough/fast enough hits them?

You know - you throw somebody at the wall and he just flies right through it (breaking the spine and shattering all the bones, but still flies through).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: March 29, 2013, 03:46:39 pm »

Yep.

When ToadyOne was adding mine carts he had an infinite acceleration like issue. I dont know if he artificially caps speeds or if there is a derived terminal velocity from physical characteristics.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: March 29, 2013, 09:09:12 pm »

Moreover, can blocks/tiles be destroyed if something heavy enough/fast enough hits them?

You know - you throw somebody at the wall and he just flies right through it (breaking the spine and shattering all the bones, but still flies through).

You'd know if Toady implemented destructible walls or tiles. It would be a huge change to how the engine handles them (which means Toady would definitely mention it in the log) and a lot of people would be buzzing on how to weaponize it.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: March 29, 2013, 09:25:01 pm »

You'd know if Toady implemented destructible walls or tiles. It would be a huge change to how the engine handles them (which means Toady would definitely mention it in the log) and a lot of people would be buzzing on how to weaponize it.

I imagine this will be something that might get consideration when goes to work on the stuff he called the Army Arc.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: March 29, 2013, 10:10:30 pm »

Yep.

When ToadyOne was adding mine carts he had an infinite acceleration like issue. I dont know if he artificially caps speeds or if there is a derived terminal velocity from physical characteristics.
I did some experimentation on this, and my notes said that it takes one or two ticks (alternating) for any object or creature to fall a tile at full speed. I tested this with BCs, chickens, arrows, and lead minecarts. They all fell at the same speed. I tested it in the arena, so I dont know if this is 100% accurate.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: March 30, 2013, 12:24:50 am »

Yep.

I did some experimentation on this, and my notes said that it takes one or two ticks (alternating) for any object or creature to fall a tile at full speed. I tested this with BCs, chickens, arrows, and lead minecarts. They all fell at the same speed. I tested it in the arena, so I dont know if this is 100% accurate.
I'm pretty sure that an arrow being dropped and an arrow being fired follow two different rules regarding speed.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: March 30, 2013, 01:06:16 pm »

Er if you take aerodynamics out every object should fall with the same speed right? Whether it's a feather or a pound of lead the acceleration should be always ~9.8 m/sē.  If you know how to include aerodynamics into a game like DF pleace step up :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:31:53 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: March 30, 2013, 02:19:17 pm »

Yep.

I'm pretty sure that an arrow being dropped and an arrow being fired follow two different rules regarding speed.

So far as I can tell, projectiles use something similar to simple Newtonian projectile physics, neglecting atmospheric effects. That being the case, the timing would be identical for an arrow dropped and an arrow fired, assuming the arrow was, in fact, fired horizontally.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: March 30, 2013, 06:42:58 pm »

Well, they should all fall at the same speed. So thats what expected.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 748