Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805489 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5805 on: March 28, 2013, 07:39:57 am »

Every time Toady talks about fixing bugs, such as the Aardvark Cliffhanger, I can't but help imagining what bugs won't get squashed, or how squashing one bug might make another comicly prevalent.  And I giggle a little.

I love this game.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: March 28, 2013, 07:45:53 am »

I feel like we're coming towards the release faster and faster. (the cliffhanger - either a strange bug or an awesome feature)

I just wish Toady could share a full battle log using the new system.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: March 28, 2013, 09:10:11 am »

Quote from: Toady One
We have them in our stories, and we don't really have objections to it.  Sorting out the raw creature definitions is a mess.
Is it possible to sort out the raws in such manner as half-breeds can be generated as the game goes? Half-elves, half-dwarves, or however you have chosen to split races/species.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: March 28, 2013, 11:26:40 am »

Is aiming ranged attack in for this release or can we consider that something a bit further down the road?
With the combat system rework, it only makes sense, but - you're the developer here.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5809 on: March 28, 2013, 11:37:03 am »

We have them in our stories, and we don't really have objections to it.  Sorting out the raw creature definitions is a mess.
Is it possible to sort out the raws in such manner as half-breeds can be generated as the game goes? Half-elves, half-dwarves, or however you have chosen to split races/species.

I'm going off the cuff here- I'm not privy to the code- but I suspect that while it might be a relatively simple project to compare two creature raws as they are now and then just average out/combine raws, and maybe roll randomly to select from conflicting possibilities... doing this in a way that usually produces satisfying outcomes might require a more complex RAW notation so that notable features from a race are preserved well while avoiding such sillyness as a half-elf inheriting a pair of arms from its elven mother, and pair of arms from its human father, coming out of the process looking like a badly-designed spider.

At the same time, wings are limbs, and when you have eagle-men, those guys might work best with arms AND wings, even though that technically makes them six-limbed.

Certainly some interesting challenges. However, I like the idea that animal-men and half-breeds might exist naturally in the game world. It would give animal-men more connection to the world if they are definitively tied to a certain event centuries ago.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: March 28, 2013, 11:46:22 am »

I'm going off the cuff here- I'm not privy to the code- but I suspect that while it might be a relatively simple project to compare two creature raws as they are now and then just average out/combine raws, and maybe roll randomly to select from conflicting possibilities... doing this in a way that usually produces satisfying outcomes might require a more complex RAW notation so that notable features from a race are preserved well while avoiding such sillyness as a half-elf inheriting a pair of arms from its elven mother, and pair of arms from its human father, coming out of the process looking like a badly-designed spider.

At the same time, wings are limbs, and when you have eagle-men, those guys might work best with arms AND wings, even though that technically makes them six-limbed.

Certainly some interesting challenges. However, I like the idea that animal-men and half-breeds might exist naturally in the game world. It would give animal-men more connection to the world if they are definitively tied to a certain event centuries ago.

If we end up having this feature in, I'm just going to play as half-human half-elf and name him Gelu.
Again, props to those who understand.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5811 on: March 28, 2013, 12:08:07 pm »

Toady, how is scamps doing?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: March 28, 2013, 12:21:12 pm »

What are martial trances really and why are they unique to dwarves? Is there any canonical reason for them that isn't just that dwarves are the feature of Dwarf Mode?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: March 28, 2013, 12:30:58 pm »

Is aiming ranged attack in for this release or can we consider that something a bit further down the road?
With the combat system rework, it only makes sense, but - you're the developer here.

I imagine it hasn't changed since your last question a month ago- I'm pretty sure he'll mention it in the devlog since he knows it's an often-requested feature, and unless I mistake my guess he's doing the bare minimum necessary on his to-do list in order to get a release out.

Quote from: Toady
Quote from: DarkDXZ

With new mobility-related stuff, does that mean we can see grappling hooks happening?

Also, slightly unrelated, but are there plans for aimed ranged attacks (firing and throwing), so that we aren't just hoping that we hit something worth hitting?

Back when I started climbing for this release, I think grappling hooks was sort of a wish-list feature that was going in depending on whether or not I felt like I had the time, and I haven't really gotten to anything with ropes at this point at all.

I'm all for being able to aim at what you want to aim at, and it's the kind of thing I imagine will happen fairly early on next time I mess with ranged combat, but I don't know when that'll be.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: March 28, 2013, 01:06:45 pm »

I imagine that he could take care of that with a smaller release after this major one. (an example of "smaller" release being the minecart/hauling overhaul one)

syyrah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: March 28, 2013, 01:31:49 pm »

If we end up having this feature in, I'm just going to play as half-human half-elf and name him Gelu.

Note to self: Leaving apocalyptic artifacts to hippie blooded albinoes may result in !!xWORLDx!!.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: March 28, 2013, 02:14:02 pm »

Note to self: Leaving apocalyptic artifacts to hippie blooded albinoes may result in !!xWORLDx!!.

The thing is you also need a human with a sword that menaces with spikes of ice.

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: March 28, 2013, 03:34:19 pm »

I don't know why people don't find centaurs and bird-men and so forth to be creepy, because they're creepy, and for exactly this reason.  You can't make them by swapping out part for cognate part (like DF's mammalian animal-men); you've got to, like, cut the horse off at the neck and the human off at the midsection and stitch disparate bits together, and at that point you may as well be Cyriak

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: March 28, 2013, 06:31:37 pm »

Toady, is it ever planned for humans (maybe even other races) to actually split into ethnic groups--not just with their own culture, but looks as well (such as people living near the equator/in hot climates being a little darker in general)? Will there ever be ethnic rivalry/hatred between these different ethnic groups, should they ever exist?

As someone who loves to study culture and the like, I think this would be quite nice to see.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 748