Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805795 times)

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5775 on: March 24, 2013, 05:33:56 am »

Oh, cool! Thank you. Yeah, I would've expected as much as well, just wanted to be sure.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: March 25, 2013, 12:11:50 pm »

This really should have been on the AMA, but I didn't think of it until now.
How many boxes of crayons have you guys gone through for making the crayon rewards?
I'm guessing it's a rather large amount.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: March 25, 2013, 03:09:14 pm »

You're probably tired of this question, but whatever, here goes:

What's the projected ETA as of now? What is there left to implement (aside from cleanup and bug-fixing)? Could we expect the release by mid-April?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: March 25, 2013, 04:34:43 pm »

What's the projected ETA as of now? What is there left to implement (aside from cleanup and bug-fixing)? Could we expect the release by mid-April?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: March 25, 2013, 05:08:13 pm »

Based on the fact that 3 month ago Toady predicted that the next version would be released right about now, my personal prediction is that it will be released no later than mid June. That is, he probably wasn't off by more than 100%.

Programmers always have difficulty predicting how long something will take. I haven't found actual statistics for how much they underestimate by, and Toady's estimate was particularly bad because he didn't itemize how long each remaining component will take. I have heard of projects being 50% late, but that doesn't take into account projects that get canceled because of unforeseen challenges and delays. So his estimate being off by 100% seems reasonable.

Of course, any new figure he gives would be more useful than extrapolating from three months ago, even if he gives a best case estimate.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: March 25, 2013, 06:20:51 pm »

How will the new multi-level trees interact with bogeymen? Will climbing a tree be a viable means of safety, or can they just teleport up into them? Also if they can, will they appear in trees above you and jump down on you normally?
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: March 25, 2013, 06:23:42 pm »

How will the new multi-level trees interact with bogeymen? Will climbing a tree be a viable means of safety, or can they just teleport up into them? Also if they can, will they appear in trees above you and jump down on you normally?

As of now, some bogeymen can fly (they have wings in their description) and some can't. Some worlds are generated with no flying bogeymen. You'll definitely have to worry about the flying ones if you're in a tree.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: March 25, 2013, 06:41:17 pm »

As of now, some bogeymen can fly (they have wings in their description) and some can't. Some worlds are generated with no flying bogeymen. You'll definitely have to worry about the flying ones if you're in a tree.
I didn't ask about the flying ones, that's obvious, I'm asking about the bogeyman's pathfinding for the purpose of them teleporting, would they recognize the tree, and prefer that over the ground?
Although it does make me think, If it's possible for a creature to be so heavy that it crashes through tree branches, would it be possible for a bogeyman to appear in a tree, and then immediatly fall through?
Due to thier small size, I doubt it, but it would be hilarious if it happened.
The Derail Thread

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: March 25, 2013, 07:14:46 pm »

So with the addition of nonlethal combat in adventure mode, do we have the option of challenging (or better yet, instigating) random jerks to one-on-one fistfights and training our fighting skills thusly?

Seems like it would be a fun and relatively safe way to train basic combat skills before venturing out into the harsh wilderness. Especially if you're starting as a super-lightweight peasant. Obviously this would make more sense in a tavern setting.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:25:46 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: March 25, 2013, 07:42:11 pm »

I like the idea of climbing trees to escape bogeymen, it being an instinctual human response to pursuit and bogeymen being based on instinctual fear.

Are adventurers drawn from existing population pools of their starting civ? I.E., does creating and losing adventures repeatedly slowly depopulate a civ?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:45:40 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: March 25, 2013, 07:50:39 pm »

Are adventurers drawn from existing population pools of their starting civ? I.E., does creating and losing adventures repeatedly slowly depopulate a civ?
Nope. Adventurers and fortress mode expeditions are presently generated out of thin air.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: March 25, 2013, 08:06:02 pm »

Nope. Adventurers and fortress mode expeditions are presently generated out of thin air.
Yeah, Toady has stated in a few places that this needs to be fixed.
The Derail Thread

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5787 on: March 25, 2013, 08:11:01 pm »

With the new but earlier established "Combat Mind" changes and more dynamic decisions on whether to engage or not, will victims of a tantruming dwarf ever decide to fight back, or a good friend or great samaritan could intervene with the assault?

Will we be able to issue an arrest upon an active tantrumer or suspected criminal to prevent further damages without necessarily yet issuing blind conviction for a heinous crime?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: March 25, 2013, 08:18:40 pm »

Yeah, Toady has stated in a few places that this needs to be fixed.

He said that in response to questions about whether they use existing historical figures, which we know they don't. I'm just wondering whether, to put the math another way, a retired adventurer adds 1 to the population or doesn't change it (the case if said adventurer were subtracted from the number upon creation).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5789 on: March 25, 2013, 10:54:07 pm »

Will the new succession for dead kings, etc, result in 'factions' forming within your fortress? E.g., half the population wants Urist McBaron to be king, and the other half wants Urist McMayor to be king. Will the player be able to directly influence the decisions?
Could this, in extreme cases, result in civil war within the fortress?

I think it would be pretty cool to have a popup saying "Urist McBaron has declared war upon Urist McMayor and his supporters!" and the player can choose whether to support the baron or the mayor, and have the other side marked as Rebels. Or maybe he could control the whole population in a fort-wide loyalty-cascade.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 748