Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806478 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5610 on: March 10, 2013, 05:41:17 pm »

Add a toaster creature with the prefstring "for my ability to slice bread".

i really should

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5611 on: March 10, 2013, 06:15:22 pm »

Wow, I was just reading SCP when I come over here and there's a random post about my own description here.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: March 10, 2013, 09:54:30 pm »

Hey Toady, it's ok and healthy to take days off! Don't burn yourself!

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: March 10, 2013, 11:27:47 pm »

Toady, could you explain in more detail what your plans for this "pulping" are? Is it basically some sort of hit point system for each body part, where if it accumulates enough bludgeoning (or I suppose even slashing) damage, it gets turned into a useless pulp? Will the affects of pulping be gradual for the most part? And also, would it now be possible for bogeymen or any weak animal for that matter to literally punch you to death, reducing your adventurer to a bloodied pulp, without, say, just disabling the lungs?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: March 11, 2013, 01:04:35 am »

They can already bruise your guts and internal organs to a bloody pulp, causing death from organ failure, but more often just kill you with traumatic brain injury.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: March 11, 2013, 01:07:46 am »

Wow, I was just reading SCP when I come over here and there's a random post about my own description here.

Wow, you guys are such SCP nerds, you're talking about me like a twat. You guys are such dorks when you are talking about me in the first person. I mean come on, I'm not even real!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: March 11, 2013, 08:44:00 am »

Don't you worry about a thing Toady, it's the best for the game for you to stay cool and have some relaxing time away from the keyboard. Sometimes it's even helpful as your might come back with a fresh idea or some new found perspective on X module or Y procedure.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: March 11, 2013, 12:03:03 pm »

Don't you worry about a thing Toady, it's the best for the game for you to stay cool and have some relaxing time away from the keyboard. Sometimes it's even helpful as your might come back with a fresh idea or some new found perspective on X module or Y procedure.
Yeah, I know that when I'm working on modding something, I'll get stumped on how to do something, and it'll hit me later on how to do it perfectly.

On an unrelated note,
Will we ever see plants with the ability to move? Either those simalar to magical treants or as mundane as the common tumbleweed?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40:48 pm »

Yeah, I know that when I'm working on modding something, I'll get stumped on how to do something, and it'll hit me later on how to do it perfectly.

On an unrelated note,
Will we ever see plants with the ability to move? Either those simalar to magical treants or as mundane as the common tumbleweed?
Grimelings are supposed to be living weed (they aren't yet), complete with the enigmatic VEGETATION token. Older versions also had a "dummy" treant creature that never appeared because it had no biomes with that same token. These treants were in the pre-release game as a magical power of elf druids.

So, all signs point to yes but, as so often, there's no set timeline.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: March 11, 2013, 02:37:27 pm »

Grimelings do have all their tissues the same as those for plants, which in effect makes them unkillable in combat. They don't have need for photosynthesis or fertile soil to survive, but right now neither do plants.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: March 12, 2013, 02:23:04 am »

Grimelings do have all their tissues the same as those for plants, which in effect makes them unkillable in combat. They don't have need for photosynthesis or fertile soil to survive, but right now neither do plants.

And then all of sudden, Grimeling trees.
Or Anvil trees. Or candy trees.

Who said money doesn't grow on the trees?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: March 12, 2013, 08:24:09 am »

That will be a thing in the next release.

See prior discusion concerning steel short sword fruiting trees.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:27 am »

I wonder when we'll be able to have trees that throw their steel-pointy-fruit at you...

Say, are we going to see anything like randomly generated trees with bizarre fruits or blossoms? Like random syndrome fruit or miscellaneous items?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: March 12, 2013, 10:28:20 am »

Are we going to see a return of the economy some day? If so how do you think it would be managed?
[craziness]I know this is more a suggestion, but the way I see it a fortress is well a fortress, a military thing where is okay to order everyone around, but after a while, if it becomes a mountain home or a "city" A reduced control over the civilian activity could work, where you designate workspaces, rooms and dig-able areas where the civilians can go around their businesses, make the workshops they want, work in whatever they want and pay you taxes over it, then those taxes could be used to pay salaries and equipment of state miners/soldiers/public workers/bureaucrats, and fund government/military constructions like walls, fortifications, siege equipment and other things.[/craziness]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:30:08 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: March 12, 2013, 10:46:30 am »

Are we going to see a return of the economy some day? If so how do you think it would be managed?
[craziness]I know this is more a suggestion, but the way I see it a fortress is well a fortress, a military thing where is okay to order everyone around, but after a while, if it becomes a mountain home or a "city" A reduced control over the civilian activity could work, where you designate workspaces, rooms and dig-able areas where the civilians can go around their businesses, make the workshops they want, work in whatever they want and pay you taxes over it, then those taxes could be used to pay salaries and equipment of state miners/soldiers/public workers/bureaucrats, and fund government/military constructions like walls, fortifications, siege equipment and other things.[/craziness]

Its going to return sometime, but is there any indication of how many releases it will take before that get worked on, even as guesstimate given the state of things now? At the moment the original release schedule has been totally changed, so we've got world activation and sites have been restored and are present. I can see that taverns will be a thing in the very near future, possibly next major release or alternatively as a minor release after the big one comes.

Is it just me or is the front page http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ down?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:49:18 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 748