Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806411 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5520 on: March 02, 2013, 02:01:53 pm »

On adding gay dwarves to DF:

Obviously, that'd be a touchy and controversial subject. It's a "hot" political and religious topic right now.

Haha, legal gay marriage might be controversial (in some places), but the existence of homosexuality is pretty well settled at this point, I think.

I don't see why Toady would do it, I'd rather have him spend his time making the game than adding flavor for people.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: March 02, 2013, 02:27:30 pm »

Haha, legal gay marriage might be controversial (in some places), but the existence of homosexuality is pretty well settled at this point, I think.

It doesn't matter, it's a lightning rod for trolling or abusive posting. 

Did you look at those threads linked back from where you quoted? Half of them end in Toady saying "This thread has been reported several dozen times per day, so it's locked. I banned so-and-so."

And those are the threads that were merely locked - there are more that had so much crap in them that they were deleted (and more people banned).

So, again, don't bring the topic up in this thread, as it tends to attract the sort of people who make inflammatory statements who only wind up getting banned.

I don't see why Toady would do it, I'd rather have him spend his time making the game than adding flavor for people.

As if the game isn't full of flavor already...  It's not like it had to be dwarves and elves and goblins.

It'll probably go in when Toady has done enough personality rewrites to make any sort of romance actually possible.  And yes, I'd actually like to see personality advances worked on to the point where dwarves have goals and desires and act upon them rather than being happy automatons until the day their happiness meter hits 0 and they go into self-destruct rampage mode.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: March 02, 2013, 11:14:23 pm »

to the crossbow-people:
i think the two first guys on the topic are talking about different stuff, one is talking about the projectiles flying too fast through the air, the other one about crossbows taking long to reload and then people started discussing past each other...

edit: damn typos

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: March 03, 2013, 11:27:34 am »

Since camps were fixed, do you plan on adding a non-animal tribes? Maybe like a barbaric dwarf tribe that acts like a bandit camp. You could perhaps get a quest to wipe them out or maybe try to befriend them

Is this too much right now or is there something similar planned in a future release?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:31:38 am by UristTheGrey »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: March 03, 2013, 12:11:11 pm »

Since camps were fixed, do you plan on adding a non-animal tribes? Maybe like a barbaric dwarf tribe that acts like a bandit camp. You could perhaps get a quest to wipe them out or maybe try to befriend them

Is this too much right now or is there something similar planned in a future release?

If you've got a question for Toady, you're supposed to make it green.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: March 03, 2013, 12:51:06 pm »

Dwarfs can already become bandits.
But regarding non-animal tribes, the plan is to randomly generate creatures that form tribes and civilizations eventually. Toady and Threetoe talked about it in the last DF Talk:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

None of that will happen in the next release.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:37 pm »

In current version I can't use tunnels for Fast travel. Will you fix this? Please, make our travels more comfotable.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: March 03, 2013, 01:31:26 pm »

In current version I can't use tunnels for Fast travel. Will you fix this? Please, make our travels more comfotable.

That's a suggestion.

Anyway, define "tunnels".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: March 03, 2013, 02:22:32 pm »

Tunnels dug by world gen gobbos and dwarves, I presume?

Wait, does this mean surface animal people are getting camps and mini-civs like the cavern ones?

Also, the thing about the randomly generated mix-n-match critters, like scaled mammals or furred reptiles or birds with spider legs, they all seem about the same somehow. What's the difference between demons and forgotten beasts if they can both be giant firebreathing skinless hamsters?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: March 03, 2013, 05:28:50 pm »

My question (I wanted to talk about it a few days ago, but seeing the word tunnel reminded it to me) :

If I, as a Dwarf, build a fortress which creates a tunnel under a portion of water between two places (which would be, otherwise, very distant, and suddenly becomes much nearer), will the game "knows" it, and will friendly army could use it to travel to the other side to attack sites on the other side ? I mean, even if i retire, for example ?

Typical example of this kind of maps : http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/screens/medium.png , in the bottom. Going from one side to another takes months. Imagine there are goblins on the left side, and humans on the other side and that you build a 4x4 fortress in the middle, with a "tunnel" between the two banks of the strait ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:39:07 pm by Inarius »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: March 03, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »

If I, as a Dwarf, build a fortress which creates a tunnel under a portion of water between two places (which would be, otherwise, very distant, and suddenly becomes much nearer), will the game "knows" it, and will friendly army could use it to travel to the other side to attack sites on the other side ? I mean, even if i retire, for example ?

Toady already stated that moving npcs will activly avoid player sites for various purposes, so I doubt they would be able to know
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: March 04, 2013, 10:47:19 am »

My question (I wanted to talk about it a few days ago, but seeing the word tunnel reminded it to me) :

Typical example of this kind of maps : http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/screens/medium.png , in the bottom. Going from one side to another takes months. Imagine there are goblins on the left side, and humans on the other side and that you build a 4x4 fortress in the middle, with a "tunnel" between the two banks of the strait ?
Assuming you retired the fort, based on how Toady has talked about patrols being aware of bridges, I expect this to work. However, Toady has also said armies don't yet need a bridge to cross a river outside a site.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: March 04, 2013, 11:27:14 am »

The end is finally in sight. It took a long time, but the last devlog (as of 3rd March 2013) shows that a few things are also going to be fixed. It looks like certain regions will become more habitable.

When you say some reaction things will be fixed, are those to do with the new combat system or the building reactions (i.e. custom production of gauntlets or boots or whatever it is that is bugged)?

Now that undead are going to have pulping and rebalancing, are we also going to see secure sarcophagi, so properly buried dwarves will no longer get out of storage?

Looking forward to the release.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: March 04, 2013, 11:33:58 am »

Assuming you retired the fort, based on how Toady has talked about patrols being aware of bridges, I expect this to work. However, Toady has also said armies don't yet need a bridge to cross a river outside a site.

To cross rivers, yes. But seas ? My question was if you build a fortress which creates a channel between two sides of a sea (not a river) and after that retire (or not), will armies take this into account for trade or war ?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: March 04, 2013, 11:47:34 am »

Wait, does this mean surface animal people are getting camps and mini-civs like the cavern ones?

I don't think Toady is going to add any extra site types for the moment, but I definitely want to be able to define these sorts of mini-civs which have minimal influence and footprint on their surroundings yet have some civ-like behaviors like living in a specific location as a community and making their goods like clothing and tools, having historical figures like the tribe leader etc. Toady, will we ever see the cavern civ code used above-ground, where a mini-civ could exist as something other than a gang of bandits (although technically they could be a tribe of jerks who steal and murder)? Will we see any more detail put into the cavern civs' sites, culture, and behaviors as well?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 748