Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807335 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5340 on: February 16, 2013, 01:38:37 am »

Honestly, conversations is one of few things I totally wouldn't mind if Toady delved into now.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: February 16, 2013, 01:41:37 am »

I do agree that conversation should be more than:

"Hello Thresher."
"Hello Dwarf. My name is Fliggles McIggles."
"What needs murdering?"
"Iggles McFliggles the vampire, who lives in the dungeon here."
"Care to join me?"
"No."
"Bye then."
"Don't die."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: February 16, 2013, 01:42:23 am »

Procedural Poetry?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: February 16, 2013, 02:45:31 am »

Procedural Poetry?
He's threaten it before!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: February 16, 2013, 01:09:20 pm »

Procedural Poetry?
He's threaten it before!
Twice!
Quote from: Core59
LOVE AND ROMANCE:
Though some of the dialog is likely to be an entertaining trainwreck, especially if coupled with a random poem generator (yes, that's a threat), love of all sorts is very important for driving stories and situations and needs to come in all over the place -- world generation, the world during play, dwarf mode and adventure mode.
Quote from: Core100
NEW LANGUAGE ITEMS:
Parchment, vellum and their buddies then books, songs, poems... all for your entertainment (and horror, if there are random poems).

Though in all seriousness, we probably wont be seeing random poetry for a while. But if you can't wait, you can find plenty through Google.
Toady was threatening us. They're horrible...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: February 16, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »

I'm hoping he hops right back in on conversations with the next feature release. At least, whenever taverns go in, since it'd be nice to do some barhopping and drunken boasting and the like.

Flesh Render

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: February 16, 2013, 03:19:58 pm »

Hi there. What are you working at, "Bay12 team?" I play DF only several weeks and I am copletely struck by difficulty of this game, so I am amateur but I have some ideas that might improve game mechanics.
1. Tame goblins, it would be pleasure to have them in dwarf army. It would be great to have elven of human mates.
2. I want to be able to go out from general map. I want to have a possobility of bulding co-fortresses to improve my civilization.
3. Add to the game more facilities like new chairs, tables and more else.
4. Opportunity to have dwarf neighobors with their own fortresses and forts, politics(allyes, foes, neutrallity etc )

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: February 16, 2013, 03:23:38 pm »

Hi there. What are you working at, "Bay12 team?" I play DF only several weeks and I am copletely struck by difficulty of this game, so I am amateur but I have some ideas that might improve game mechanics.
1. Tame goblins, it would be pleasure to have them in dwarf army. It would be great to have elven of human mates.
2. I want to be able to go out from general map. I want to have a possobility of bulding co-fortresses to improve my civilization.
3. Add to the game more facilities like new chairs, tables and more else.
4. Opportunity to have dwarf neighobors with their own fortresses and forts, politics(allyes, foes, neutrallity etc )

Over here is where you want to post that. Suggestions are discouraged 'round here.

2 is planned.

Not sure what 3 means.

4 is planned.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: February 16, 2013, 05:44:35 pm »

For the record, 2-legged kicks do make you fall on your back and knock the wind out of you, but they also knock the target down and possibly break their ribs. You basically jump forward with both legs first.

2-legged kicks with a running start to build momentum do that. 

For that matter, you can do much the same thing with one leg if you're doing a jump-kick, or even just a running tackle, or better yet, a spear-first charge, especially since Toady is throwing in the rules for a running start in this release, so that there's little reason to get confused between an attack with momentum and without momentum.

From a standing position (like a regular kick, but with both legs at the same time, which is what was being discussed,) it's just sweeping your own legs out from under yourself and maybe brushing the target before you land butt-first on the floor.  That's why it was used as an example of either defying physics or suicidal stupidity, depending on how the code was implemented.
It's called a dropkick. You need good leg strength and jumping ability, but with proper skill you can totally just jump up and kick someone in the chest with both feet from a standing start. It's more of a wrestling than a striking thing, though, since it's ill-advised when fighting multiple opponents, but it's still completely possible and viable 1 on 1, with the right amount of skill.

You can see an example of how kicking with both feet with a somewhat less than running start might be used in adventure mode, at 2:40 in this video.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: February 17, 2013, 01:42:59 am »

I know trees aren't in active development, but there is a subject that has been causing me some anxiety.  I don't believe that the multitile trees have roots yet, but there are some common misconceptions about how roots grow that I very much hope don't end up perpetuated by dwarf fortress.  Namely, many people mistakenly believe that the average tree's roots are a mirror copy of the above-ground branches in structure - with deep roots and spreading branches, however this is not in general the case. 

Most trees have few roots deeper than two feet below the surface (relevant link).  The reason for this is that trees don't have any active circulation, and as such every cell in the tree needs to have reasonably nearby access to air.  If artificial means are used to create aerated soil deeper than that (tunnels) then the roots might be able to grow there, but you wouldn't expect to find many roots when deeper than a few feet.  A noteworthy exception is the root system of oak trees, which include a central tap root (relevant link). 

I do realize, on the other hand, that it sounds cool to have to dig around the roots of a forest, so from a gaming (as opposed to simulation) perspective, that might be the choice that gets made. 

So here's my question:
How deep do you plan on having tree roots get?  Are they planned for this release? If not, do trees (for now) just end at the surface with nothing beneath but soil?

edit: ungreened because answered - thanks! :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:43:14 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: February 17, 2013, 06:46:21 am »

I know trees aren't in active development, but there is a subject that has been causing me some anxiety.
Perhaps it's just because it's late here, but trees as a source of anxiety made me laugh.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5351 on: February 17, 2013, 07:27:00 am »

Fortunately my father has a background in botany, and we talked that out before I even checked that stuff out online, since he was curious about what I was working on.  I don't remember if it was in any of my older notes, but I know it is for this version.  They might not spread far enough depending on memory concerns, and they might not intermingle right, and any number of interesting things might not happen.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: February 17, 2013, 07:32:43 am »

Hah. Here I was collecting quotes, and Toady himself ninja's me.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5353 on: February 17, 2013, 07:54:35 am »

I wanted to relieve Caldfir's stress, he he he.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: February 17, 2013, 09:43:04 am »

I believe this was discussed at some point, but I can't remember where. It was probably in the devlog, but I'm not sure, so I figured I'd just ask here. Someone here probably remembers. What I was wondering about is, what was changing about entity AI in this update? That is, I seem to remember they got goals in this update that they tried to achieve, and an adventurer could now have relations with each individual entity, and perhaps the entities with each other as well. However, I don't remember if that was talk for the future, or for the current upcoming release. Since it's already been talked about, I thought I wouldn't make this a green question, and just ask the people here -- hope that's alright.
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 748