Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807633 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5190 on: February 02, 2013, 12:14:02 am »

Since we are getting a movement/everything else split for speed, and the concept of running starts, are there plans for coding other types of special movements/attacks coming soon for animals/monsters soon?

I.E. A snake that slithers slowly, but can coil and lunge quickly for an instant strike.  Falcons diving.  Crocodiles doing a death roll.  Etc.

(Of course, if we are talking about lunges, it also opens the question of adventurers/bandits leaping out of the shadows in a sudden sneak attack...)

And by extension, will there be different speeds for dwarves moving from A(lcohol) to B(ooze) than for dwarves mining, carving, fishing ect?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: February 02, 2013, 04:37:09 am »

Since we are getting a movement/everything else split for speed, and the concept of running starts, are there plans for coding other types of special movements/attacks coming soon for animals/monsters soon?

I.E. A snake that slithers slowly, but can coil and lunge quickly for an instant strike.  Falcons diving.  Crocodiles doing a death roll.  Etc.

Snakes, at least, have come up before:
Quote from: Neonivek
Toady how are you going to marry creatures who have incredibly fast and sudden strikes but cannot do it often (Like snakes) and ones who can attack often?

For example a snake

There are pre- and post-strike time periods.  I haven't altered snakes yet, but that's the sort of thing we'll be able to do.  A snake could be allowed to strike within 2 clicks for example, but take 10 or more to recover, or whatever makes sense.

How quickly do entities move across the world map, and does the speed vary for groups of different sizes or take difficult terrain into account?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: February 02, 2013, 05:13:05 am »

I hope the speed/move split results in new attributes for weapons. A dagger and a spear would have very fast recovery times in their attacks, while an axe or mace, being an unbalanced weapon, would take a significant longer time. In the same way, swings would be generally slower to recover than thrusts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: February 02, 2013, 05:38:06 am »

I hope the speed/move split results in new attributes for weapons. A dagger and a spear would have very fast recovery times in their attacks, while an axe or mace, being an unbalanced weapon, would take a significant longer time. In the same way, swings would be generally slower to recover than thrusts.

Weapons are not all equal in terms of what exact move you do.

I'd imagine if you extend with a spear it would take longer to recover. As well with Maces and Axes you could do other kinds of strikes to get a greater recovery.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: February 02, 2013, 11:20:15 am »

Weapons are not all equal in terms of what exact move you do.

I'd imagine if you extend with a spear it would take longer to recover. As well with Maces and Axes you could do other kinds of strikes to get a greater recovery.

Well, in a different thread on topics of weapons, I think a more relevant question would have to do with how long it takes to recover when a target moves out of its tile while you are aiming at them. 

That is, a huge, heavy pike and a dagger might both go through a stab motion relatively quickly, (pike taking longer for its mass, but not cripplingly longer,) but if it's a matter of swinging your weapon around on a target who's circling around you, a 14-foot-long pike (4.5 meters) is going to be significantly more cumbersome to swing around.  Those really long pikes can't be flipped around vertically, either, you have to swing it over your head or turn your whole body.

Spears, meanwhile, provided they are the single-hand short spears (which they seem to be, as you can carry a shield with one) are more wieldy since you can hold it at the center of mass and change its angle more rapidly.

Snakes, at least, have come up before:

Then I'll ungreen that question and ask something slightly different, since after thinking about it, I kind of wanted to ask a different version of the other half of that question a little more.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: February 02, 2013, 11:32:59 am »

You've been talking about sprinting/charging to gain speed and momentum, but on the topic of a "lunge" (burst of speed from a readied position), especially from hiding, will we be able to hold a prepared special action waiting for proper timing?  Like a snake waiting coiled, a cat waiting to pounce, or a thief waiting for a mark to come within striking distance?

(I suppose it would be the equivalent of a "readied action" in D&D, but not quite as rigid a "one standard action", like a croc bursting out of the water to get close and snap its jaws at a wildebeast all in a quick flurry.)

EDIT:
I'm going to re-word this again in a later post.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:58:28 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: February 02, 2013, 11:52:37 am »

Do you plan to add the philosopher back later with more usefulness? Or are they scrapped?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: February 02, 2013, 11:54:47 am »

3. Do you plan to do something for the next release about the time the undead raise? Some people think it's not so much, but it's basically impossible to reach a necromancer without turning undead or sneaking through. In that subject, do you plan to add melting points so the undead can be destroyed by lava? Do you plan to nerf down player characters that turn vampire/necromancer, because those are unstoppable killing machines right now.

You could also lure the undeads away from the necromancer, make them collapse, then throw them in a pond until the necromancer's corpse supply run out, just sayin'
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: February 02, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »

3. Do you plan to do something for the next release about the time the undead raise? Some people think it's not so much, but it's basically impossible to reach a necromancer without turning undead or sneaking through. In that subject, do you plan to add melting points so the undead can be destroyed by lava? Do you plan to nerf down player characters that turn vampire/necromancer, because those are unstoppable killing machines right now.

You could also lure the undeads away from the necromancer, make them collapse, then throw them in a pond until the necromancer's corpse supply run out, just sayin'
I know, but this is just taking advantage of the necromancer AI not being that smart. I like undead hands, heads, nails and hair as much as the next guy, but as it is now, an adventurer can become an unstoppable killing machine by just reviving the dead non stop. Some form of cooldown would help to control both players and NPC reviving. Maybe the Necromancer could have a pool of power to draw from, and once emptied, it slowly recharges. That way we could have waves of undead raising again but you could actually beat it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:20:54 am by arkhometha »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: February 02, 2013, 03:36:48 pm »

I beat a Necromancer tower in adv mode once with an axe and full steel plate. Still died, but only because of a cheapshot at the last second by the necromancer himself (this was when 34.X was first released and being near zombies made dead things rise).

But yeah, the rate of raising is a bit OP'd.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: February 02, 2013, 06:35:38 pm »

I beat a Necromancer tower in adv mode once with an axe and full steel plate. Still died, but only because of a cheapshot at the last second by the necromancer himself (this was when 34.X was first released and being near zombies made dead things rise).

But yeah, the rate of raising is a bit OP'd.

Theoretically, besides making raising just take a really long time, drawing a casting circle, or something that otherwise means it isn't an instant effect you can do whenever, you could also make the special actions take stamina or magically making you hungry or something that puts some sort of limit on how much you can do it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: February 02, 2013, 06:43:48 pm »

Well currently, a simple fix would be to increase the WAIT_PERIOD:x token on necromancers to something a wee bit higher (say to 120 or so.) It basically acts as a cool-down timer. Currently their wait period is 10, which lets them use the interaction on nearly every turn they take. If it's raised to ~100-150, they'd have to wait 8-12 turns or something like that before performing the interaction again, which makes it a wee bit easier to assault a necromancer tower, as they couldn't resurrect the dead every turn. Reducing the number of corpses they can target at once may also help some. They currently do not have a max target number.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheSharkable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: February 02, 2013, 07:31:39 pm »

Toady, modding the old dwarven economy back in is one of my favourite things to do with a long termish fort. I was just wondering if anytime after this release cycle you could consider fixing it as I thought this was something that would go in the caravan arc?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: February 02, 2013, 07:37:33 pm »

Toady, modding the old dwarven economy back in is one of my favourite things to do with a long termish fort. I was just wondering if anytime after this release cycle you could consider fixing it as I thought this was something that would go in the caravan arc?
The caravan arc is about making trade happen between settlements, and is unrelated to the old dwarven economy.

Maybe some version of the dwarven economy will come back at some point, but it's not on the dev-list.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: February 03, 2013, 03:59:01 am »

The caravan arc is about making trade happen between settlements, and is unrelated to the old dwarven economy.

Maybe some version of the dwarven economy will come back at some point, but it's not on the dev-list.

It is to on the Dev List, and was on the bumbled quick release short term dev list we had not so long ago.

Its defiantly a near future item.  And I can see having Inns for Fort Mode requiring the fort mode economy being reduxed, if ToadyOne and ThreeToes go in that direction after this release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 748