Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808541 times)

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5085 on: January 25, 2013, 09:04:08 pm »

Will there be a need for toilets sometime?

Sorry if somebody mentioned this before, as it seems pretty obvious, but..

Our dwarves are always eating and drinking, but I've never seen one go to the bathroom. Where does all that digested food and beer go?

It just seems with all the detailed needs the dwarves have for food, drink, bathing, social interaction, etc, they should have the need to relieve themselves sometimes. Not to compare DF to any other game, because it's in its own category, but I'm reminded of how in many simulation games, like the Sims for example, the people will pee on the floor or crap themselves if they can't use a bathroom.

I think it would be a fun or funny (hopefully not !FUN!) and realistic additional challenge to add to the game. We would have to make toilets, deal with the miasma, and eventually set up a sewer system, etc, or designate a pooping zone outside.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: January 25, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »

And if they do, can you use said excrement for anything?
also, will other animals produce it?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: January 25, 2013, 09:12:43 pm »

Our dwarves are always eating and drinking, but I've never seen one go to the bathroom. Where does all that digested food and beer go?

It just seems with all the detailed needs the dwarves have for food, drink, bathing, social interaction, etc, they should have the need to relieve themselves sometimes. Not to compare DF to any other game, because it's in its own category, but I'm reminded of how in many simulation games, like the Sims for example, the people will pee on the floor or crap themselves if they can't use a bathroom.

I think it would be a fun or funny (hopefully not !FUN!) and realistic additional challenge to add to the game. We would have to make toilets, deal with the miasma, and eventually set up a sewer system, etc, or designate a pooping zone outside.

One of the most-suggested things on this forum.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: January 25, 2013, 09:29:19 pm »

Toady's gone on record as saying one of the biggest reasons dwarves don't need toiletries is because it would be one more thing they need to do instead of doing their jobs, which is already pretty silly in fort mode with all the "taking a day to eat, three days to walk across the map, etc."

Mind you, I don't have the quote handy, but as Putnam has said it's one of the most suggested things on the forum- a little diligence with the search bar should pop it up sooner or later.

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: January 25, 2013, 09:32:22 pm »

Thanks Putnam! I hadn't seen that before. It covers pretty much what I had in mind. Don't know why I didn't get any results for 'toilet' from the search function before I posted here..

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: January 25, 2013, 11:38:41 pm »

I just assume that, since Dwarves go to the fields and pick crops no matter what you set their preferences to, they must all be taking their movements there, surreptitiously.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: January 25, 2013, 11:40:54 pm »

I just assume that, since Dwarves go to the fields and pick crops no matter what you set their preferences to, they must all be taking their movements there, surreptitiously.

I think you can turn that off in the "o"rders menu...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: January 26, 2013, 01:06:13 am »

But then I might have to divert smithee production to bedpans...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: January 26, 2013, 12:07:43 pm »

Now that all civilized sites will be actively running "forts", does it mean they get properly furnished?
 I'm tired of seeing those empty houses and keeps. Kobolds don't have enough stuff to do in Adventurer mode (the new mobility options would only help that).

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: January 26, 2013, 02:27:19 pm »

Eventually, interactions should get advanced enough that you can 'mod' in bathroom needs in forms of emissions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: January 26, 2013, 02:29:27 pm »

Technically, you can already mod in people pissing all over the place. But why would you even do that. That's disgusting. *files idea away just in case I ever include Gent of Piss into Fortbent*

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: January 26, 2013, 02:50:52 pm »

Just simulate it - put a large pot in each bedroom and dump them outside every month :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: January 26, 2013, 02:56:02 pm »

but what if they are full of food?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5098 on: January 26, 2013, 03:33:59 pm »

but what if they are full of food?

thats disgusting.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: January 26, 2013, 04:28:08 pm »

I await the day zooming in on a pile of vomit will let me see the chunks of carrot contained within (I didn't even eat carrots what the hell)
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 748