Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808427 times)

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5055 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:51 am »

You will lose most of your population, but migrants arrive happy so there are always a few dwarves who aren't tantruming. Once the tantrum is over you have a fully constructed fortress but with fewer dwarves to take care of. The only problem is keeping your militia strong enough for that point in the game.
I think tantrum spirals are handled just fine. They only happen if the general happiness in your fortress is already low to begin with, which means that conditions there are already terrible. If you have to sleep on the rough stone floor all the time, have seen your friends get slaughtered by a goblin invasion and have just been attacked by a tantruming dwarf, you would get mad too.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: January 23, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »

Well, I always thought that tantrum spirals were a pretty neat emergent situation from the happiness mechanics, and also a fitting fall for a fortress of alcoholic megalomaniacs.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

kiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:34 pm »

Toady said that he wasn't morally opposed to the depiction of sex, though he was opposed to explicit depiction of rape and other sex crimes. However, he was wary of the media attention it would bring. The stuff you suggest is probably planned, but won't be implemented for quite a while.

So infanticide, torture, murder, and other form of violence ok, but not sex?  ???

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: January 23, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »

Yea, I rarely have tantrum spirals. Occasionally a good dwarf goes bad, but a strong healthy jail, appropiately sized guard force, and general good quality of the living conditions keep things running smoothly. I think they are actually pretty well representitive of a population that would be subjected to the pressures the dwarves are under. It's just a little rioting.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

snpaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:10 pm »

Toady said that he wasn't morally opposed to the depiction of sex, though he was opposed to explicit depiction of rape and other sex crimes. However, he was wary of the media attention it would bring. The stuff you suggest is probably planned, but won't be implemented for quite a while.

So infanticide, torture, murder, and other form of violence ok, but not sex?  ???

Yeah it's sad but that's the way our society works, some media outlet would try to paint it as if dwarf fortress was some sort of rape, sodomy, sex simulator (Ie Mass Effect).

Hopefully in the future it will somehow become moddable. 

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: January 23, 2013, 05:26:34 pm »

I doubt that news outlets would care too much about a game like Dwarf Fortress. They only seemed to be concerned about big titles, not niche ones. Toady doesn't have to submit this game to ratings boards, because it is a freeware title only available online.

Also, a question.
Can you make Legends Mode accessible from within Dwarf Mode or Adventure Mode, so you don't have to abandon fort to see it?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: January 23, 2013, 05:32:14 pm »

Can you make Legends Mode accessible from within Dwarf Mode or Adventure Mode, so you don't have to abandon fort to see it?
Dwarves go forth and abandon fort / Dwarves go forth and abandon fort

(I really have to buy the old Busta Rhymes stuff sometime, it's just awesome)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: January 23, 2013, 07:01:58 pm »

I doubt that news outlets would care too much about a game like Dwarf Fortress. They only seemed to be concerned about big titles, not niche ones. Toady doesn't have to submit this game to ratings boards, because it is a freeware title only available online.

Also, a question.
While I would support such an addition to the game, you can already just copy the save and do exactly this.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: January 23, 2013, 09:15:47 pm »

I think the difference is that stuff like Unfortunate Accidents, Mermaid Farming, and Dwarven Childcare were designed by players, and was never specifically an end goal for Toady when he implemented the features involved; implementing a frank depiction of sex as a direct design decision, by contrast, would lead to Toady himself being held responsible were someone offended.

I'm not sure if there'd really be a huge Mass Effect-style outrage, though. Bay 12, as a low-visibility, small-scale developer of games for a very niche audience, doesn't seem like a terribly-compelling subject for such a thing. There'd probably be some media attention, but I don't think anyone would care.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #5064 on: January 23, 2013, 10:24:22 pm »

hmm, in the future I might miss our old dwarven brains. They're...charming, in a way.

Quick question, are unions a future feature?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: January 23, 2013, 10:36:48 pm »

There is a Dwarf personality rewrite planned for some time in the future, I assume that is also going to handle tantrum spirals/

Last I heard the personality rewrite was reconceptualized from a big, sweeping "overhaul everything" to a "we'll handle it as it comes up." I don't have a quote handy though.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: January 23, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »

Quick question, are unions a future feature?
We'll probably see something similar to the guilds of the old economy system.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Dwarven_economy

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: January 23, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »

Now that the world is really operating during play, how have you found size of world (or other outside variables) to affect FPS, especially during Dwarf Mode? Is there much of a difference between large and pocket regions, or worlds with more or less history?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: January 24, 2013, 05:09:49 am »

Since dwarves could now, theoretically, become necromancers during play, do they require any reading skill to get a tome from a god? Or is the skill just granted for them upon recieving their powers? And would it target fort mode dwarves or adventurer dwarves differently than normal?

Obviously, you won't get dwarves recieving slabs during the time they are in your fortress, at least not while it's active, or during active adventure runs, but I'm talking about dwarves in a non-active place. I want to know if a nick-named dwarf could become a necromancer and turn on their former comrades, as this would make for some great storytelling.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: January 24, 2013, 05:30:06 am »

What's wrong with tantrum spirals?

[opinion]

Tantrums as they are now are illogical, often disproportionate and often misdirected. That they can turn into tantrum spirals is not an issue. If for example a dwarf is unhappy that their friend was hammered because a mandate wasn't met, they shouldn't punch their baby and throw an anvil at their spouse and feel better afterwards. If instead the angry dwarf organized his peasant friends into an angry mob and led them on a protest march which then descended into brutal violence because the fortress guard tried to break it up, that would be interesting. It's a question of ambition when it comes to what the game can eventually do.

Tantrums are an arbitrary challenge as implemented now, like mandates, until things that should be more challenging become challenging (sieges, food production, water, gaining and maintaining a high population etc). DF is good enough to be free of arbitrary additions or restrictions (wood only beds) in an effort to provide "challenge" or "balance".

Some might argue that they are "dwarfy" and shouldn't change. The same has been said of Boatmudered elephants, 40d carp and the dungeon master cloak fetishist.

[/opinion]
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 748