Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807935 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4890 on: January 05, 2013, 04:22:34 pm »

I have a question

Wil you be able to embark underground? As in, not like in the middle of nothing, but maybe creating a Dwarvern settlment in trading tunnels between Dwarf sites, the same way we can embark on roads in the current build?

Another question, will we see caravans activly traveling on roads/tunnels, so we can trade and raid them? And will caravans actuly take your items back to the mountainhomes? Because in the current version, the items in caravans just vanish when they leave the map.

And another question that I just came up with, will you be able to play as Hill/Deep/Whateverthehyell Dwarves and as them embark in caverns or some other area underground?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:34:55 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: January 05, 2013, 07:21:19 pm »

All of that sounds reasonable. Toady has said at least in the upcoming release you won't be able to embark as Hill or Deep dwarves or reclaim those sites, but it sounds to me like its reasonable to expect in the future.

I'd expect underground embarks to arrive sometime after the next release, or in the next release is Toady puts it in for the hell of it, and you'd start out either in a tunnel or in the cavern layer.

creating a Dwarvern settlment in trading tunnels between Dwarf sites, the same way we can embark on roads in the current build?

There's actually is difference between embarking on roads and embarking in tunnels. Roads are worldgen constructions, and not sites. The road is part of the landscape and you can embark on it if you can embark on the region tile. The idea with tunnels is one should only be able to embark on them if they are connected to your civilisation's settlements, or if they are open to the caverns.

Are the tunnels between settlements going to be completely enclosed or can they be open to the caverns?

Is this upcoming release going to feature any walls as world constructions?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:33:49 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: January 05, 2013, 07:28:24 pm »

I'm pleased to report that it will feature walls. Indeed, you'll be pleased to learn that there have been walls since the very beginning.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: January 05, 2013, 08:56:54 pm »

I think he's asking about world construction walls, as implied by current civ raws, probably something like Great Walls of Slotted Kingdom
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: January 05, 2013, 09:00:10 pm »

With people moving from site to site, and actually have them travelling, does this mean that if we embark our fort on a road, we might see people from one city travelling to another city, and possibly stop them?

Will this be similar to how adventurers appear when taverns are introduced?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: January 05, 2013, 09:06:14 pm »

With people moving from site to site, and actually have them travelling, does this mean that if we embark our fort on a road, we might see people from one city travelling to another city, and possibly stop them?

Will this be similar to how adventurers appear when taverns are introduced?

I think it'll stay abstract for this release - battles and other such stuff won't happen in real-time either, AFAIK.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: January 05, 2013, 09:08:31 pm »

I think it'll stay abstract for this release - battles and other such stuff won't happen in real-time either, AFAIK.
Dang it, you could have so much fun with holding immigrants hostage.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: January 06, 2013, 09:31:43 am »

I think he's asking about world construction walls, as implied by current civ raws, probably something like Great Walls of Slotted Kingdom

This is exactly what I meant. You get 10 dwarf points.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: January 06, 2013, 09:48:57 am »

I have a question

Wil you be able to embark underground? As in, not like in the middle of nothing, but maybe creating a Dwarvern settlment in trading tunnels between Dwarf sites, the same way we can embark on roads in the current build?
Not for this release. But I dont think its been explictly stated as a 'Never Going to Happen' thing.

Another question, will we see caravans activly traveling on roads/tunnels, so we can trade and raid them? And will caravans actuly take your items back to the mountainhomes? Because in the current version, the items in caravans just vanish when they leave the map.
Not for this release. But ToadyOne has spoken about being more aware of the world around you in Fort Mode. But there hasnt been to much detail in this area, and what has been said has related to Armies roaming off map that you can control.

As far as Traded Items moving around the world. This happens in World Gen currently. So presumably, this will happen in Play, eventually.

And another question that I just came up with, will you be able to play as Hill/Deep/Whateverthehyell Dwarves and as them embark in caverns or some other area underground?[/color]
I bet the answer, from the almighty Toad is: "That sounds like it'll be fun. But there no timeline." ~~ Unless you mean to take over an NPC Fort? I think the answer to that is no, due to those sites being so large that it cant be render for player control.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: January 06, 2013, 10:27:28 am »

Is there a plan to change the way labor assignment works in the near-or midterm future? DFHack has incorporated a Dwarf Therapist-like feature in a very in-style way, so it should not be too difficult to get it to look good.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: January 06, 2013, 11:15:45 am »

Is there a plan to change the way labor assignment works in the near-or midterm future? DFHack has incorporated a Dwarf Therapist-like feature in a very in-style way, so it should not be too difficult to get it to look good.

Yes, interface will be revamped as soon as a desirable amount of core items are into the release, so that Toady doesn't have to change stuff from version to version just because he implemented a few things that substantially change the way we command and suggest our dwarves.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Liamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41:38 pm »

Toady, are you planing on giving the players more options to customise their play? In particular, setting a limit to a maximum immigrant wave size, the amount of wealth required to lure new immigrants and making population limit more 'final', not allowing the amount of dwarfes to exeed it?

I've set my population size to 31, and I'm already stuck with 60+ dwarves with babies still sprouting. Hopefully no more immigrants. :/

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: January 06, 2013, 06:51:52 pm »

Toady, are you planing on giving the players more options to customise their play? In particular, setting a limit to a maximum immigrant wave size, the amount of wealth required to lure new immigrants and making population limit more 'final', not allowing the amount of dwarfes to exeed it?

I've set my population size to 31, and I'm already stuck with 60+ dwarves with babies still sprouting. Hopefully no more immigrants. :/

I think it's going to be deeper than just being able to put a hard limit to the amount of dwarves you can get, which is very artificial. Toady mentioned that  deep sites and the addition of the much expected hilldwarves are going to serve as a way of "customizing" how many dwarves you'll be wanting in your fort by the way of getting the excess population to settle outside of your fortress.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: January 06, 2013, 11:09:31 pm »

They are dwraves! Naturally we want Bookkeepers and accounts in every Hill-dwarf settlement! Someone has to do the taxes and trades!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: January 06, 2013, 11:27:43 pm »

And more importantly, keep track of the booze!
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 748