Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807679 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4710 on: December 24, 2012, 02:00:43 pm »

Can adventurers become "villains" for fortress mode?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: December 24, 2012, 02:55:10 pm »

How in-depth do you one day intend the political system to be? Also, will prisoners and jails ever be developed, including conversions of all kinds? While we're on the topic, can you please lay down the realism threshold, say for things such as torture (which i think we'd all be fine with having abstracted) and brothels? Some things no one wants in the game, for obvious reasons, though with night trolls it seems that you're fine with oblique hints. Will Realism be something we'll be able to adjust, from Game of Thrones to Lord of the Rings? Inevitably, they'll be mods, but I'd like to know where you stand with the base game.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: December 24, 2012, 03:19:50 pm »

Novel: IIRC, Toady is planning for both magicalness and randomness to be adjustable as he goes. Prisoners and jails are definitely planned. Song of Ice and Fire-style fantasy to probably much more magical than LOTR.

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: December 24, 2012, 03:57:52 pm »

Song of Ice and Fire-style fantasy to probably much more magical than LOTR.

Perhaps better comparison would be Forgotten Realms versus Game of Thrones? First is basicly pentrated by fantastical elements, although not as much as Planescape. Latter features them only as an icing on cake.

EDIT: But I guess we figured the point.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:00:49 pm by Kappas »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: December 24, 2012, 05:01:43 pm »

Perhaps better comparison would be Forgotten Realms versus Game of Thrones? First is basicly pentrated by fantastical elements, although not as much as Planescape. Latter features them only as an icing on cake.

I'm pretty sure elves and goblins and whatnot will be prevalent regardless, in vanilla, so more like Forgotten Realms vs LotR.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: December 24, 2012, 08:22:29 pm »

Has Toady finished up with elven sites? Does anyone know if he's made specific mention of rope ladders in conjunction with them? I'd like to know if we're any closer to being able to use some sort of extendable/retractable stair thing for making pits without leaving materials on the bottom. I know the whole path-finding issue but I also remember that it was most likely to be looked at when elven sites in trees came in. I'm fairly certain it hasn't been mentioned but I'm asking before greening.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: December 25, 2012, 05:38:39 am »

Has Toady finished up with elven sites? Does anyone know if he's made specific mention of rope ladders in conjunction with them? I'd like to know if we're any closer to being able to use some sort of extendable/retractable stair thing for making pits without leaving materials on the bottom. I know the whole path-finding issue but I also remember that it was most likely to be looked at when elven sites in trees came in. I'm fairly certain it hasn't been mentioned but I'm asking before greening.
He's finished with elf sites for now, but it's possible that like with goblin and dwarf sites, there's some more work to come. Likewise, it seems probable that he'll get to climbing again later before the release. In any event, he hasn't yet mentioned anything regarding climbing aids to be definitely in the game.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: December 25, 2012, 07:31:40 am »

He's finished with elf sites for now, but it's possible that like with goblin and dwarf sites, there's some more work to come. Likewise, it seems probable that he'll get to climbing again later before the release. In any event, he hasn't yet mentioned anything regarding climbing aids to be definitely in the game.
Rope ladders turned out to be quite a boon doggle when he attempted earlier, if I recall. (For Fort Mode.)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: December 25, 2012, 03:18:35 pm »

When will climbing include beings?
Reading a thinner book

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: December 25, 2012, 04:23:57 pm »

When will climbing include beings?
For the most part, "When will we get X" questions really have no useful answers - they tend to be "no timeline, but it would be good to have in the game", or something to that effect. The "Ability to jump up on and ride opponents if they are large enough (can happen to you too of course)" is on the development page, under Combat Flow for the Adventurer Hero Role, so it could be on the short list, but I wouldn't count on it.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: December 25, 2012, 04:42:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure elves and goblins and whatnot will be prevalent regardless, in vanilla, so more like Forgotten Realms vs LotR.

I demand a Discworld setting. Thanks, Knight Otu, I'll bear that in mind.
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: December 25, 2012, 04:49:35 pm »

How do you see stories being related to the player in the future? I've seen you mention that you'd like to have what going on at the mountain-homes being related to us when appropriate, but when language is developed will factors such as the narrator and retelling come into account? How do you intend to develop Legends mode, and the knowledge available to you in-game? After all, if all the goblins are dead, it doesn't make sense to prepare for their tactics. Lastly, how do you intend to develop archery, and ranged weaponry in general?
Reading a thinner book

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: December 25, 2012, 05:50:04 pm »

Are 3D mineral veins going to be introduced with the generated dwarf fortresses? Whenever they come, do you plan to have certain dwarves prefer to reside or construct within certain veins (i.e. a craftsdwarf may pick a room in a native platinum vein)?

Are magma moats going to be a feature in advanced dwarven settlements?

Merry Christmas everyone!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: December 25, 2012, 06:26:59 pm »

To expand on the magma moats question: what's the extent of dwarven engineering in computer-run settlements? There will be normal cage and weapon traps, of course, but beyond that, what? Simple floodgate-and-lever irrigation systems? Small pump stacks to create simple drowning traps or more complex irrigation systems? Large pump stacks to ferry magma around? What of minecarts and the many extracurricular uses they can be put to?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: December 25, 2012, 08:30:54 pm »

Jesus Christ man...

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Devblog update on a Christmas Day! This is indeed deserving of a +<<Platinum Goblet+>>+ full of lava.

So, births. Will this stuff be continuing during gameplay when the coming release... is released?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 748