Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807762 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4665 on: December 19, 2012, 02:06:09 am »

Does the reference to pet information mean that all tame animals won't just magically drop dead when a fortress is abandoned? If that's the case, then will we see immigrants from a previous fort show up with their assigned war animals?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: December 19, 2012, 05:11:59 am »

Will the "succession" work include making sure wildlife populations breed and restock themselves or will the main focus for now be civ populations?

Not sure if this was made clear at some point, but thought I might as well ask. Would be nice to not have to worry about for example fish inevitably dying out in embarks with fisherdwarves etc ^^
I'm pretty sure they already do this, and have for a while. Overfishing isn't related to a failure of fish to spawn anyway, since the animal populations are for the whole region and thus there should be plenty.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: December 19, 2012, 05:38:55 am »

Will the "succession" work include making sure wildlife populations breed and restock themselves or will the main focus for now be civ populations?

Not sure if this was made clear at some point, but thought I might as well ask. Would be nice to not have to worry about for example fish inevitably dying out in embarks with fisherdwarves etc ^^
I'm pretty sure they already do this, and have for a while. Overfishing isn't related to a failure of fish to spawn anyway, since the animal populations are for the whole region and thus there should be plenty.

I still can overfish a map in a few years. Also there is this problem: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6220, which kind of made me stop playing an adventurer before starting a fort in the same world.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: December 19, 2012, 05:41:40 am »

Funnily enough, i laughed at the response. I'll have to try drunk posting sometime  :P.Does the ai fortress building possiblyin any way be applicable to delegating tasks to lower members of the heiarchy, effectively letting the AI do your job, but of course with a margin of effiency equal to that of the skill and wit's of your delegate? For extra fun, you could only return control once a dwarf dies, somewhat of a mii-reclaim. While we're using this pipe dream (though a mini reclaim sounds actually slavagable to these young ears), could it also be used when faction are introduced and try to take some of your power and influence, at least on thier turf?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:16:49 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Machiavelli

• Bay Watcher
  • 強い白い
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: December 20, 2012, 09:26:50 am »

Are there any UI functionalities on the horizon wrt interaction with the game, rather than new features?  The ability to mouse most everything, reference the previous trade agreements with the Mountainhomes (maybe I am just stupid and don't know how to do this), or the option to set the world to continue progressing while you look through the Military or various other menus/set Digging or Trees to be cleared, etc?  You can choose what is important enough or not important enough to stop the world in the .ini, right?  Why shouldn't the world progress during menu operation?
NKAWTG

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: December 20, 2012, 10:58:02 am »

military menus already let the game progress, and i think that yes, there is a goal to allow the other menus to be accessed without pausing the game. for the trade agreement thing you can use a macro. you know about macros, right?
mouse is kind of a low priority i think, but since there's already partial mouse support, i'd guess toady is planning to do it eventually

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: December 21, 2012, 03:58:52 am »

Has Adventure and Fortress time unit been synchronized yet?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: December 21, 2012, 05:01:57 am »

No. That would be a major project and it's not planned for this release.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: December 21, 2012, 05:02:58 am »

Synchronized to what?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: December 21, 2012, 08:35:29 am »

The mayan end of the world?

Hey, what if some entities on the world generator also made predictions about the end of the world, just for fun sake?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: December 21, 2012, 09:06:38 am »

Synchronized to what?
Adventurers and Fortress dwarves run in different time unit. Adventurers can do more in a day.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: December 21, 2012, 09:08:18 am »

This is not a bug, it's intended.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: December 21, 2012, 09:10:25 am »

What happens to your companions when you retire? Do they join the population of the fort? If you retire an adventurer
with companions in a retired fort and unretire that fort, do the companions appear as members of the fort?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: December 21, 2012, 09:36:45 am »

This is not a bug, it's intended.
I know, but when an adventurer visit a retired fort, won't it bork up the timers?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:48 am »

No.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 748