Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808083 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4575 on: December 08, 2012, 03:42:43 pm »

there's no guarantee of survival for retired forts

This caught my eye right away. What kind of factors affect whether or not a fort survives?  Can we reasonably expect that retired forts will still be attacked by sieges and mega beasts? 

I guess you'd be controlling an official, but you wouldn't have any actual powers

What happens if an official is killed or leaves the fort while you control him?  Will the position be open again or does that prevent you from putting someone else in charge?

If you come back to a fort after a reasonable amount of time, like 5 or 10 years, can you expect to see the fort changed?  For example, will some old dwarfs be dead from enemies, died if they had an infection that the doctor couldn't fix, old age, bad luck, etc?  Will there be new dwarfs from births and migration, and will they continue to get married while you are gone?  Will new rooms, workshops, farms, and other constructions be built?  i.e. Can we pretty much expect the fort to go on acting as if you're still in charge?

Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: December 08, 2012, 04:15:54 pm »

i.e. Can we pretty much expect the fort to go on acting as if you're still in charge? [/color]
Dwarf Fortress isnt becoming sentiant quite yet :p

One would assume that, there would be new rooms and such, but they wouldn't be tied in with your initial design, that would be more then the AI could handle (yet). The rooms/zones would probably just be dug all over the place when needed, with no real orginization.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: December 08, 2012, 05:10:40 pm »

New rooms would be good, but this release might not do that, especially for player forts.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: December 09, 2012, 03:43:05 am »

I'm thinking of making a couple adventurers and sending them off to collect books from various places, then bring them all together in a big library fortress.
I've done this in the current version by reclaiming a fort that orignally created a bunch of lead bins, coming in on my adventurer, depositing the books in the bins, and then leaving the bin in an obvious spot.  On reclaim the bin was there, but there are a couple artifact/book bugs that prevented me from doing anything cool with them, and during a bit of a scuffle the bin fell down a well :S
where is up?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: December 09, 2012, 04:26:36 am »

and fix problems with dwarven brains that had developed, like how they started crawling around on the ground and so on.

what
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: December 09, 2012, 04:50:49 am »

and fix problems with dwarven brains that had developed, like how they started crawling around on the ground and so on.

what
When dwarven minds wander, they tend to do so literally.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Ebergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: December 09, 2012, 05:09:16 am »

Toady, will these progress bars be added to Stocks screen? It is really weird that I cant see progress of stone, furniture or other items counting, especially when I have VERY (erm. 100k+ ?) large amounts of these.

I have over 100.000 stones in my fort. On some computers counting these hang the process, on some not. I'd like to know when it hangs, and maybe the % of counting.

Thanks for response, if there would be any! :D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:13:02 am by Ebergar »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: December 09, 2012, 05:15:11 am »

Toady, will these progress bars be added to Stocks screen? It is really weird that I cant see progress of stone, furniture or other items counting, especially when I have VERY large amounts of these.
I think he means progress bars for the game loading/saving, so it won't just go "This program is not responding" until it's done.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: December 09, 2012, 05:21:20 am »

I'm thinking of making a couple adventurers and sending them off to collect books from various places, then bring them all together in a big library fortress.
I've done this in the current version by reclaiming a fort that orignally created a bunch of lead bins, coming in on my adventurer, depositing the books in the bins, and then leaving the bin in an obvious spot.  On reclaim the bin was there, but there are a couple artifact/book bugs that prevented me from doing anything cool with them, and during a bit of a scuffle the bin fell down a well :S

So, in other words...A successful dwarven library.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: December 09, 2012, 06:27:35 am »

[...] and fix problems with dwarven brains that had developed, like how they started crawling around on the ground and so on.

Typical Dwarves: doesn't have to be efficient, but if they can do it, they'll do it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: December 09, 2012, 08:10:38 am »

[...] problems with dwarven brains that had developed [..]
Dorfs developing brains? My, I never thought I'd live to see the day...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:24 am »

You just know that crawling brains are about to become a feature in some capacity after this.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: December 09, 2012, 10:10:09 am »

Have you considered utilizing some of the bugs to emulate psychological problems? The latest devblog post showed some very interesting effects such as dwarves crawling on the ground.

I really think Toady should have used this to simulate multiple personality disorder or some other psychological problem. Dwarf Fortress has taught me not to be surprised when crazy bugs happen.

Progress bars look good on loading screens, but will we see them elsewhere? For example, will workshops get a progress bar on reactions, or will buildings and constructions get a progress bar whilst being built?

Do dwarf fortresses and settlements incorporate minecart tracks yet?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:12:27 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: December 09, 2012, 12:12:14 pm »

Progress bars look good on loading screens, but will we see them elsewhere? For example, will workshops get a progress bar on reactions, or will buildings and constructions get a progress bar whilst being built?
I hope not - remember Empire Earth? We'd end up having dorfs hammer at the ground unti it rises up and forms the workshop they want, and archers shooting at stone walls until they crumble. I'd rather see more realism when it comes to producing stuff, such as forging a blade, cooling it, firring it to a handle and only then having a sword.
The Bay12 postcard club

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: December 09, 2012, 12:29:59 pm »

I hope not - remember Empire Earth? We'd end up having dorfs hammer at the ground unti it rises up and forms the workshop they want, and archers shooting at stone walls until they crumble. I'd rather see more realism when it comes to producing stuff, such as forging a blade, cooling it, firring it to a handle and only then having a sword.

The only thing is in DF the building and reaction progression is pretty much the same - you get "construction not yet begun", "construction started", "construction nearly done", and the finished building. The animation is just different for buildings. A skilled dwarf will take a shorter period of time to do something and has a higher chance or guarantee of producing a high-quality item, but there's still an invisible progress state.

We may sometime get to the realistic method for forging a blade, when we get to a general production overhaul.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 748