Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808433 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4470 on: November 27, 2012, 03:27:56 am »

2x2? 3x3 Being decadent? Man my dorfs must live like kings in theyr 5X5 rooms. heck my nobles get 7x7.
Well you only really need three floor tiles, so yeah. And consider that a tile is around a few meters on a side, think about how big that is compared to your own bedroom in real life.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: November 27, 2012, 03:45:05 am »

Actualy my bedroom would be about the size of that given that i have a 1.5 room flat. ;)
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: November 27, 2012, 04:36:34 am »

My dwarves live in 3x1 bedroom with masterwork engravings, bed, cabinet and chests... The noble though all live in the same 11x11 room. That's not cruelty I think, they are always ecstatic and provided with enough work they dont tantrum spiral over anyone's death(except that time with the friggin vampire)
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: November 27, 2012, 05:39:44 am »

Toady, with the mounds for drinking, and the dwarves standing around looking drunk, will dorves thtart talking funning like therpennmen do alredy?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: November 27, 2012, 08:20:37 am »

Toady, with the mounds for drinking, and the dwarves standing around looking drunk, will dorves thtart talking funning like therpennmen do alredy?
First, green your questions... Second, dwarves are more coherent and productive while they're drunk, and Toady One hasn't mentioned anything special relating to conversation, so I'd say no.

Toady, will the walls of fortresses be engraved, smoothed, rough, or will it depend on certain factors and wind up being a mix of the three at times?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:26:00 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: November 27, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »

Seriously? 3x3 is "decadent"? In my forts 3x3 is the smallest type of room, usually dedicated to some workshops, temporary accommodation, and some barracks. Most dwarves get a 5x5 bedroom, sometimes with multiple rooms.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4476 on: November 27, 2012, 02:09:26 pm »

I give 2x3 rooms to the basest level of accommadation. Once I start being able to house people decadently, I set up a pretty consistent level of 4 12-square rooms for bedrooms, dining, and office for the higher-ups, plus a room connected to the quarters designated as a "meeting area". Commoners get a 3x3 bedroom, a 2x3 dining room, and a 3x3-3x4 common room.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: November 27, 2012, 02:47:05 pm »

In my forts everyone gets 5x5 rooms in the main dorm section, and the nobles get 7x7 or 9x9 rooms off to the side.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: November 27, 2012, 03:00:28 pm »

My dwarves get 20x20 bedrooms. They do have to share that bedroom with almost 200 other dwarves, but they don't seem to mind.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: November 27, 2012, 03:04:22 pm »

Well hey, if there's 200 masterwork beds in the room, it MUST be a great place to stay!

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: November 27, 2012, 04:21:25 pm »

I go with the 2x2 or 3x3 set-up... though my first seven get 5x5 and my nobles get really big rooms.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: November 27, 2012, 04:29:06 pm »

I usually go for 2x3. My nobles are very much set apart from the rest of the population, usually getting 5x7 to 7x9.

edit:
I set up a pretty consistent level of 4 12-square rooms for bedrooms, dining, and office for the higher-ups, plus a room connected to the quarters designated as a "meeting area".
This, largely, but I do 11x11, simply because it's fastest... >.> shift + arrow key.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:12:12 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »

Oh wow, you guys are luxurious.

Later migrants are pleased to see 3x3, or 3x2, but if I'm pressed, say hello to 3x1
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: November 27, 2012, 05:38:38 pm »

I use 2x2 for "special" dwarves (those that got my attention for a feat for example), 3x3 for nobles (with 3x3 dining rooms and offices if required) and 1x3 for the unwashed masses.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: November 27, 2012, 05:55:07 pm »

"You killed that hydra with a masterwork =Pig Tallow Roast=? Say hello to AN ENTIRE 25% MORE FLOORSPACE, BUDDY!"
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 748