Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808654 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4230 on: November 08, 2012, 11:31:36 am »

Hopefully we will get plenty of ruins to reclaim. Abandoned Deep sites may lead to a totally new kind of discovery in the underground.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: November 08, 2012, 11:50:57 am »

Now that the maps are being filled in with more realistic sized (scale-abiding) settlements, will the overall size of the world* change so as to preserve undiscovered wilderness areas?

*or perhaps some sort of population density gradient to make uninhabited places?

I am very much loving this new look, gives a real sense of Empire.

What makes you think that their undiscovered wilderness now?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: November 08, 2012, 11:56:56 am »

Will we only be able to reclaim sites of our own race or civ?

I'd like to be able to take over an abandoned human fortress and then transform it into a proper dwarf one, personally.

Will reclaimed world gen fortresses already have workshops and areas that were formerly stockpiles?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: November 08, 2012, 12:47:02 pm »

Will invading Humans/Elves/Goblins be able to conquer the deeper dwarf sites, or will they be restricted to the hill sites and the fortresses?

A player founded fortress will be able to spread to deeper dwarf sites as well as the hills, yes? Will the player be able to direct/incentivize this spread in a particular direction?

If a player fortress generates significant deeper sites, and then releases HFS, will the HFS spread to the deeper sites and claim the whole mountain for themselves, or will they just hang out in the site where they were released?

I see what Toady meant by the deeper sites, and I'm so pumped. Now that LotR situation of "Do we go around the mountain, or go through the goblin-infested former dwarf city" is entirely likely to come up. I can see players deliberately founding paired fortresses just to build a road for adventurers through a particularly wide mountain range.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: November 08, 2012, 01:05:10 pm »

Toady, with dwarven settlements now being common, will it be possible to fast-travel through them?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: November 08, 2012, 01:25:15 pm »

Toady, will other races have these sorts of new site divisions at all? I can easily imagine a true distinction between cities and surrounding hamlets for humans, or maybe a goblin dark tower having a clutch of small, scattered camps around it to better protect against invasion and act as outposts. Connected to that, will sites ever "mature" into another class of site, or decay into a less populous class? For example, a regular fortress might seal off the underground due to a forgotten beast invasion during worldgen and become hill dwarves, and then when you went there it'd just be fifteen or twenty dwarves fishing and farming and living in wooden houses, and you'd talk to the elder of the village and he'd say "a long time ago, in my grandfather's grandfather's years, we were a mighty fortress of hundreds, but then a mythical monster appeared out of nowhere, killed almost everyone, and we had to seal it off. The fortress is still down there if you want to dig through and try to slay the beast." Or you'd get legends of minor sites that hide great wealth or ancient artifacts of immense power.

Of course, the lovable not-quite-right-the-first-time nature of Dwarf Fortress probably means that we'll get, say, peaceful farming communities where a small child owns the most powerful sword in the world, or something...

Finally, are we ever going to be able to play as these different sorts of sites? And, will the depth of sites be more variable to account for the different site depths, especially on embark?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:59:57 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: November 08, 2012, 01:40:52 pm »

As long as the sword can be taken from the child, there is no problem.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: November 08, 2012, 02:20:04 pm »

Will we ever be able to play out the trip towards a new site? Such as, when a site is being chosen, would we see a travel line from the entity's capitol toward the desired embark and actually have the wagon move along it, sort of like adventure mode travel, but in control of the dwarves?
If this were possible, would we also be able to change the path taken, such as making it longer in order to avoid going through an evil forest?

Ooh, and your wagon could capsize crossing a river and the expedition leader could get dysentery.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: November 08, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »

Well, looks like I'll be having to brush up on Oregon Trail...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: November 08, 2012, 04:52:45 pm »

As long as the sword can be taken from the child, there is no problem.
To quote Mr. Burns: "As easy as taking candy from a child. Speaking of which..." He then goes out and struggles with a toddler for possession of the toddler's lollipop - without great success.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: November 08, 2012, 04:59:53 pm »

oh my... oh my...
*rocks back and forth*

Speaking of forts changing type, will it be possible for, say, several forts being built on the same ground? inotherwords, a deepfort below a hill fort, both in use, but separated?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: November 08, 2012, 05:03:31 pm »

Toady, will other races have these sorts of new site divisions at all?

Humans Already Do. Dorfs Do. There seem to be different symbols for Gobo Sites. So we can probably assume that Elf sites do, and demon sites as well.

will sites ever "mature" into another class of site, or decay into a less populous class?
That would be kinda of the point for this release.

are we ever going to be able to play as these different sorts of sites? And, will the depth of sites be more variable to account for the different site depths, especially on embark?
You already do. You start off as small tiny community, then it grows larger and larger still, becoming a city or a county and eventually a barony. What this release may do, is let small community pop up around you, that you support and they help support you.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: November 08, 2012, 05:44:16 pm »

I wonder if forgotten beasts are going to get moved to a lower level. If not, those dwarf sites will have to fend off lots of glass scorpions and fire breathing pigs monsters.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: November 08, 2012, 05:54:31 pm »

I wonder if forgotten beasts are going to get moved to a lower level. If not, those dwarf sites will have to fend off lots of glass scorpions and fire breathing pigs monsters.

I'm surprised they're not already fending them off, since dwarves get products of the first cavern. At least I've not seen any fights with underground forgotten beasts in legends in 34.09, I doubt the worldgen's been changed much for the .11 for it to show up.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: November 08, 2012, 06:31:35 pm »

After reading the November 2012 status update, I just had to post and say how excited I am about the upcoming ability to retire successful fortresses instead of just abandoning them.

I also love the fact that I'll be able to reclaim fortresses from my dwarven civilization!

Wow.  Just wow.  Now, it really feels like I'll be creating something more than a World of Ruin.  I can actually make my civilization grow.  Magnificent.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 748