Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808643 times)

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4215 on: November 07, 2012, 07:16:15 pm »

Thanks pal, shame it doesnt work on my phone ^^
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40:49 pm »

Thanks pal, shame it doesnt work on my phone ^^

Heh, well I feel bad now!  My point was this is an off topic discussion that you should really do with google.  So I followed some links and the answer seems to be... almost none.  C seems to be the language of choice for kernels because it is lower level than C++ which is important for efficiency etc. That said there do seem to be some benefits to writing an OS in C++, see the discussion on this page, but perhaps not enough to make it popular.  End of off topic...?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: November 07, 2012, 08:26:26 pm »

New question on the devlog update of 11/03/2012:

You've mentioned that the nobility will be adapted to the structure of different dwarf sites. Does this mean the noble system is going to be changed significantly? If so how will it be changed? Will we be getting guild nobles back with this update?

As to the structure of the different dwarf sites, will the breakdown of three different types of sites be covered by the Mountain Halls settlement type, or will dwarves have their sites defined in the raws individually as with outdoor fortifications? By this I mean will we have [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE_DETAILED] for an entity to have dwarf fortresses, deep settlements, and hill settlements, or will we have something like:

[PRIMARY_SITE_TYPE:MOUNTAIN_FORTRESS]
[SECONDARY_SITE_TYPE:DEEP_SETTLEMENT]
[SECONDARY_SITE_TYPE:HILL_SETTLEMENT]

If not, are you going to make it possible for an entity to found multiple types of site? For example, you could have a modded civilisation that would build both cities, fortresses, and deep settlements.

Depending on how the entity files are set up, would making an entity which only founded deep settlements make that civilisation live exclusively underground?

Finally, are there any plans to make dwarves less picky about the mountains they embark on? At the moment I'm finding dwarves tend to be unable to found settlements because the mountains absolutely have to be neutral, and so when I bump up the civilisation number really high, I get a large quantity of human, goblin, and elf civilisation but not dwarf civilisations. If this isn't as much of a problem in your tests, how far out (and up, and down) are dwarf civilisations spreading with their new sites?

It may be too much to ask for the upcoming release, but if we had volcanoes to erupt, there might be some impressive opportunities to reclaim buried settlements.

A quick solution to the dwarves and mountains problem would be to provide an option for them to start out on mountains of any alignment, such as [START_BIOME:ANY_MOUNTAIN].
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: November 07, 2012, 09:02:17 pm »

Will we ever be able to play out the trip towards a new site? Such as, when a site is being chosen, would we see a travel line from the entity's capitol toward the desired embark and actually have the wagon move along it, sort of like adventure mode travel, but in control of the dwarves?
If this were possible, would we also be able to change the path taken, such as making it longer in order to avoid going through an evil forest?

I'm guessing a lot of work would have to be done before this, such as work on moving caravans and whatnot first, as well as ships for island settlements, but I think it would be awesome to play as a group of 7 dwarves saillling the ocean to reach new land.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: November 07, 2012, 10:54:26 pm »

Will we ever be able to play out the trip towards a new site? Such as, when a site is being chosen, would we see a travel line from the entity's capitol toward the desired embark and actually have the wagon move along it, sort of like adventure mode travel, but in control of the dwarves?
If this were possible, would we also be able to change the path taken, such as making it longer in order to avoid going through an evil forest?

I'm guessing a lot of work would have to be done before this, such as work on moving caravans and whatnot first, as well as ships for island settlements, but I think it would be awesome to play as a group of 7 dwarves saillling the ocean to reach new land.

Indirectly. ToadyOne has spoken about you in Adventure Mode, going off with some dopes, starting some new Site, and I think being able to run it in fort mode possibly. But that part of the podcast seem to be highly speculative.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: November 07, 2012, 11:03:24 pm »

Are the dwarven settlements outside of mountains still called Mountainhomes or are they Hill-, Plains-, or Whateverhomes?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: November 07, 2012, 11:59:06 pm »

Are the dwarven settlements outside of mountains still called Mountainhomes or are they Hill-, Plains-, or Whateverhomes?

Swamp-homes sound kinda cool, actually, as do Glacier-homes.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: November 08, 2012, 01:05:47 am »

Quote from: ToadyOne
My attention was diverted the last few days, so I haven't quite got the various dwarven baronies finished yet, but here are some pictures of the general way dwarven sites are set up now. The eventual idea is that you'd be able to get communities like these settled around your own fort in many instances.

When you say that "you'd be able to get communities like these settled around your own fort", do you mean that we'd be able to send migrants out of our fort to settle/join other areas?

If so, that sounds kind of cool.

Also, how will nearby communities affect trade?
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: November 08, 2012, 01:26:09 am »

I believe we are missing something in one of the latest dev screens
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

what is that along the bottom around the dark fortress? a village, the fortress grounds? camps?

It looks to me like all sites in general are getting larger areas and sprawls
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:27:57 am by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: November 08, 2012, 01:33:30 am »

Oh wow, when did those go up? Jesus, they're spreading like humans now. And the part about owning a entire mountain IS TRUE.

So then, are we going to see more territorial conflicts in world-gen? As sprawl is now so much more important, are various civs going to fight to establish themselves in a given are? Sorta of overlaps with the can sites overlap with underground ones, since that'd make it easier.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: November 08, 2012, 03:27:54 am »

just saw the pics, this release is really gonna be awesome...
will the "outside" nobles (baron, all the way to the king) will now have different requirements? link to the capital like a secure tunnel through one of the cavern layers from inside the fortress to the edge?
will we be able to found underground "link" fortress to link two parts of the civ each on one side of a mountain chain (dawn of time challenge any one?)? if yes will there be rules such has "dont breach the above ground" or something like that?

we are going to need some ways to breach the aquifers from below...
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: November 08, 2012, 03:58:42 am »

Very excited about the new release, based on the newest update's images of dwarven settlements on the world map. I wonder (this isn't really a question, merely a consideration) - the vast size of underground dwarven settlements seems to be incongruous with, or more accurately greatly larger than individual human villages and towns - what could Toady be planning for deep dwarf settlements? I look forward to future updates.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: November 08, 2012, 05:32:38 am »

I think the Ωs just indicate individual sites rather than part of a much larger one. Some of them are probably quite small in reality. I still felt a twinge of pride though, seeing the second image.

Will there be an underground dwarvern equivalent of human farmland?
I'm sure this has been discussed in general before, but this seems like a good point to bring it up. The hill dwarves will have regular farms I guess, but dwarves need more than strawberries.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4228 on: November 08, 2012, 08:59:38 am »

Now that the maps are being filled in with more realistic sized (scale-abiding) settlements, will the overall size of the world* change so as to preserve undiscovered wilderness areas?

*or perhaps some sort of population density gradient to make uninhabited places?

I am very much loving this new look, gives a real sense of Empire.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: November 08, 2012, 09:09:28 am »

Now that the maps are being filled in with more realistic sized (scale-abiding) settlements, will the overall size of the world* change so as to preserve undiscovered wilderness areas?

*or perhaps some sort of population density gradient to make uninhabited places?

I am very much loving this new look, gives a real sense of Empire.

I'd say just slowing down how fast civilizations spread and create nw sites should be enough. Not sure if it's just me but I feel they spread way too fast as it is, and with sub-sites now added on top of that it could use some tweaking. I always gen large worlds and stick to a low amount of civs and it still feels like the cramp up all the space (and the good embarks) in less than a hundred years of world gen :>
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 748