Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808737 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4185 on: November 05, 2012, 03:57:18 am »

With the dwarven sites is there the possibility of whole mountain ranges carved inside into giant dwarven cities, riddled with corridors and rooms and similar not unlike Moria, or are you thinking smaller?

That sounds like hell on FPS, and worldgen...

Why would roads and paths carved into mountains be any worse than those on the surface?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: November 05, 2012, 01:25:08 pm »

With the dwarven sites is there the possibility of whole mountain ranges carved inside into giant dwarven cities, riddled with corridors and rooms and similar not unlike Moria, or are you thinking smaller?

Why would roads and paths carved into mountains be any worse than those on the surface?

Maybe not worldgen, but...
...How does the size and complexity of a site affect Adventure Mode FPS?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: November 05, 2012, 02:41:20 pm »

Doesn't adventure mode run on a turn based basis? You know you move and then everything else does. And each turn is technically a frame in that sense, so adventure mode naturally doesn't have a very high FPS due to the nature of it.

At most it might effect the delay between the player's turns, but FPS doesn't seem to apply here...

Unless your talking graphics-wise... which honestly doesn't seem to matter much in adventure mode either.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: November 05, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »

Doesn't adventure mode run on a turn based basis? You know you move and then everything else does. And each turn is technically a frame in that sense, so adventure mode naturally doesn't have a very high FPS due to the nature of it.

At most it might effect the delay between the player's turns, but FPS doesn't seem to apply here...

Unless your talking graphics-wise... which honestly doesn't seem to matter much in adventure mode either.
You'd think it wouldn't happen, but there actually is lag in adventure mode.  I'm not sure if I'd measure it in FPS, but the slowdown is there.

It's been pretty rare for me, except when my characters go unconscious or are stunned (this causes the game to run a bunch of steps all at once).  However, I've heard reports that the new human cities will sometimes cause slowdown even for normal speed characters.  I think some people with slow computers actively avoid cities.  Its because the city spreads out across the entire loaded area and is filled with items and creatures, to say nothing of the undercity.  It'll only become worse when the townsfolk actually start pathing around on their own and making decisions.  A subterranean dwarf city would be like that, but with multiple z levels of buildings and such (right now, the houses are multiple stories tall but only have one floor).

It might be worth the risk (it sounds like goblin sites already dip into the underground anyway) but lag is a legitimate concern in adventure mode.  In worldgen the sites of all races are functionally identical in terms of lag AFAIK, since the sites aren't loaded it doesn't matter how much of a complicated mess they are.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: November 05, 2012, 05:33:26 pm »

So far, it appears that the game mechanics we expect to see in the next release would, technically, allow for Player control of the Deep Settlements under certain circumstances.  I should imagine that, when site reclaim of NPC generated sites is implemented, this could include Hill Dwarven and Deep Settlements.  Can, not necessarily Will.  It is up to Toady to decide if he will allow that.

Which begs another question:
Toady, will the Three Tiered Dwarven Sites implement another site flag, similarly to the Lair Flag, to indicate which type of site they are?  Are there any practical, overhead, coplexity or gamey distinctions between them?  Will we be able to reclaim any of these three types?  What will be complications/restrictions for borders of these underground sites be if/when they do indeed span multiple areas (2x2 - 4x4) and/or have tunnels connecting them?

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: November 06, 2012, 09:40:07 am »

will two sites be able to occupy the same x-y-coordinates, even when theyre not from the same civ? in general, will two civs be able to occupy the same territory, as long as one is above and the other is below ground level?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: November 06, 2012, 11:18:57 am »

When a dwarven civ expands, either in worldgen or in the general lore of the game, is there a regular order in which the three types of settlements emerge from the mother civ - e.g. hill dwarfs migrate then decide to dig down and make a fortress which eventually begets a deep site, or deep site up, or something else - or are they independent of each other in terms of origin?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: November 06, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »

Will dwarven sites ever become separate ruins, as a dwarf site becomes a deep site and than a fort will the above ground fort ever be abandoned and become ruins and the lower site remain a underground city?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: November 06, 2012, 01:00:37 pm »

will two sites be able to occupy the same x-y-coordinates, even when theyre not from the same civ? in general, will two civs be able to occupy the same territory, as long as one is above and the other is below ground level?

Rephrase: Will multiple sites be abel to occupy the same map time, as in fortresses and deep sites on multiple levels on the map?

The idea here is that you might have a human city on the surface, and a deep dwarven settlement just below, and below that a goblin encampment, and then another dwarven settlement from another dwarven civilisation beneath that. It goes beyond the above and below ground thing, which makes it somewhat more complicated.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:02:29 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: November 06, 2012, 03:46:15 pm »

"and fortresses, which connect the surface to the underground and are the same sort of sites that you create."

If fortresses now connect the surface to the underground societies will we now find restrictions upon where we can embark, or if not a restriction then a new possibility to make a fortress as an entrance to our mountain home?

Will our fortresses still become the capital after a time? It seems a bit weird to turn the front door into the throne room, so to speak.

It seems that my main deciding factor for where to place what should be some far-flung colony in the style of Ancient Greece or some vital fort watching over a trade route is actually whether or not there's an aquifer.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: November 06, 2012, 06:19:05 pm »

I understand you... Those aquifers, I simply cant start a fort if I dont have one. How else could I do all the waterfalls and decontamination chambers ^^
And they are so convenient for farming. You are right, they rule!
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: November 06, 2012, 09:47:23 pm »

Sometimes aquifers deter players instead of attracting them.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: November 07, 2012, 02:29:29 am »

It may take a season or two to breach them but with a custom embark (three miners, three woodcutters and a stonecrafter/carpenter) you can be settled by the end of the first summer, settled as in everything dug, three outdoor fields, a trade depot and a big wall to protect you from the many invaders.
I wont green my question since I think it has already been answered but,

Toady, what programming language do you use for DF?
cant stop playing DF?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: November 07, 2012, 04:37:48 am »

Toady, what programming language do you use for DF?

Originally C, but he has switched to C++ after the very first months.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: November 07, 2012, 05:05:22 am »

Wow I thought it would be object oriented. Just musing, would it improve speed to rewrite it in assembly?
cant stop playing DF?
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 748