Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3814279 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3945 on: October 15, 2012, 12:18:33 pm »

With the inclusion of climbing, will invaders now be able to scale walls?

Will creatures be able to grapple a ceiling?

Will creatures be able to climb constructed or engraved fortifications?

Will creatures be able to climb up and over raised drawbridges?

Be prepared to roof over your outdoor fort in the next version!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: October 15, 2012, 01:04:39 pm »

How will the coming running mechanic work with charging during combat? I mean, will there be a difference when charging somebody while in full run? Could a lighter combatant take down heavier stationary opponent if he charges him at full running speed?

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: October 15, 2012, 02:11:33 pm »

I am really exited for the climbing and sneaking mechanics. I cant wait to parkour around cites like Altier!

Will we get reaction moments when jumping/landing on a creature?
ie. the player jumps out of a tree undetected onto a nearby goblin. As he lands he gets a reaction moment to attack the goblin with a weapon doing extra damage.

Will elves get a buff to movement/fighting while climbing in trees?
I could see a very deadly strategy of climbing up a tree then picking off people with a bow/crossbow as they try to climb after you.

The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: October 15, 2012, 02:46:20 pm »

Will there be (or is) a skill involved in climbing?
Is climbing determined by a on/off creature tag?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: October 15, 2012, 03:30:25 pm »

i meant a creature that LIKES hiding in ceilings to dropdown on people.

Well, we already have bats, which are known for hanging from ceilings, geckos, which are known for climbing walls (even smooth ones), and squirrels, which are known for climbing trees.  Also, the creeping eye description says, "A small underground monster that crawls across the cavern wall with its four clawed hands."  Better yet, the manera is described like this, "A creature that crawls along the cavern ceiling with four long arms.  Its body is shaped as the head of a man with a mouth full of shark teeth.  It waits for its prey to pass below."  So, technically the game already has a creature like what you want, it's just not implemented properly yet.

It would be nice to see climbing/clinging properly implemented for these creatures.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3950 on: October 15, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »

One place I don't want to spend the night is inside the Tarn Brother's Imagination.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: October 15, 2012, 04:47:29 pm »

Hmmm.. so, soon the Scamps entry in the wiki will have the [CEILING_CAT] tag.

I approve.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: October 15, 2012, 08:16:23 pm »

Tree bark or seeds in barrels of alcohol for spice extracts?

You all talk about "vanilla" DF, but the truth is there is currently no vanilla in DF.
Theres hasnt been any changes to Beverages, and it seems like ToadyOne and ThreeToe are satisfied with Trees, for now.

Quote from: caknuck

So, with fruit-bearing trees, does this mean that we'll get a slew of new ciders to make?

And will there be some underground fruit trees? (If so, then put me down for a barrel of stalacterines.)

Indeed, with each new fruit that goes in, dwarves lead richer lives.  We haven't made final decisions about the underground trees.  Perhaps it wouldn't be appropriate to share them when we do.

It seems that there have been some changes to beverages. We don't have all the details, but at least there should be some new alcohols to brew from the fruit that have been added.
Except that we cant gather fruits in Fort Mode. And I think the inability to gather fruits also implies the inability to brew fruits into new beverages.

Quote from: ToadyOne About Fruit
There will be uses for them over time, but they are just aesthetic right now (you will be able to pick them as an adventurer).  Doing fruit required flowers on the moral level as much as anything.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: October 15, 2012, 09:41:47 pm »

Toady will you be adding any supernatural trees with Fruit in this release or only real life equivilants?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: October 15, 2012, 09:58:40 pm »

Except that we cant gather fruits in Fort Mode. And I think the inability to gather fruits also implies the inability to brew fruits into new beverages.

There will be uses for them over time, but they are just aesthetic right now (you will be able to pick them as an adventurer).  Doing fruit required flowers on the moral level as much as anything.

That quote was about flowers, not fruit.

Edit for clarity:
Quote from: monk12
Do you have plans for flowers as a resource of some kind (decorative or otherwise,) or are they just an aesthetic choice to make the grass pretty? Does their coincidence with Elven sites indicate that Elves will have more flowers around than anyone else, or is it just "I'm doing trees and fruits and stuff, I'll throw in flowers quick?"

Emphasis mine.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:59:24 am by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: October 16, 2012, 12:04:31 am »

Quote from: caknuck
So, with fruit-bearing trees, does this mean that we'll get a slew of new ciders to make?

And will there be some underground fruit trees? (If so, then put me down for a barrel of stalacterines.)

Indeed, with each new fruit that goes in, dwarves lead richer lives.  We haven't made final decisions about the underground trees.  Perhaps it wouldn't be appropriate to share them when we do.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: October 16, 2012, 06:46:29 am »

will we be seeing monkeys climbing trees for bananas?
I am a Goober.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: October 16, 2012, 07:51:50 am »

will we be seeing monkeys climbing trees for bananas?
No. Banana trees are not climbable. They are relatively short, and just have a very smooth, very weak, trunk. It is a tree you can acually punch down. You don't get wood from it though.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: October 16, 2012, 09:29:48 am »

Will fruit trees be real fruits, like the other trees, or made up, like the other crops? And does either answer affect your future plans for handling plants?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: October 16, 2012, 10:12:40 am »

Iirc toady said in the last Podcast that he wants more Reallife crops, also straw-berrys are real ;). Given that we already have some fruitbearing trees in the raws (cacao, chestnut, Mango, oak, "coconut-"palm and candlenut) we would have atleast some fruit and nut bearing trees.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 748