Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809910 times)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3810 on: October 08, 2012, 08:07:12 am »

My hilarious bug prediction: embarking in a forest and having your fortress crumble in the autumn when every dwarf gets their head caved in by a falling acorn.

. . . leading to ironic new methods of execution for our pointy-eared treehugging friends.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: October 08, 2012, 08:56:15 am »

Did Toady ever mention about people being not willing to slaughter incapacitated foes? I recall running from battle and not escalating conflict, but nothing about sympathy or mercy, or squemishness.
Sympathy and mercy don't sound like the sort of things that Toady would add.
I still think that should affect all things except dwarves and goblins.

Just because the playerbase has people in it who are truly merciless and terrible does not mean that Dwarves themselves are planned to be merciless and terrible.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: October 08, 2012, 10:09:11 am »

i like mercy..... and clean water......... IDEA!

Will there be a way to use salt in food, and if so, will there be a way to process saltwater into salt and/or water?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: October 08, 2012, 12:11:25 pm »

Will there be a way to use salt in food, and if so, will there be a way to process saltwater into salt and/or water?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1788.msg26773#msg26773

Quote from: Toady One link=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1788.msg26773#msg26773
Yeah, salt's in, and I want to do things with it, but I really need to resist until the next version is up.  Same goes for the alunite, all kinds of things to do with alum.  We'll also use the saltpeter...  as a fertilizer of course.  No mixing with sulfur and charcoal!  Sulfur is currently called brimstone.  You can change that in the raws if you want.  You won't be able to use pitchblende (uraninite) to make yellow cake either, although you should be able to color glass with it later.  I also added a few arsenic sulfides, he he he (guess I could have done the oxide, but the sulfides are more colorful).  Also added cinnabar, which can give a vermilion dye and mercury, though those products aren't in either.

I'm actually not decided on gunpowder, but I'm not in a rush.  It certainly shouldn't be allowed to ruin the setting.

Yes, there are plans to salt use, but I imagine it will be mines of salt instead of using saltwater.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:22 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1788.msg26773#msg26773

Quote from: Toady One link=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1788.msg26773#msg26773
Yeah, salt's in, and I want to do things with it, but I really need to resist until the next version is up.  Same goes for the alunite, all kinds of things to do with alum.  We'll also use the saltpeter...  as a fertilizer of course.  No mixing with sulfur and charcoal!  Sulfur is currently called brimstone.  You can change that in the raws if you want.  You won't be able to use pitchblende (uraninite) to make yellow cake either, although you should be able to color glass with it later.  I also added a few arsenic sulfides, he he he (guess I could have done the oxide, but the sulfides are more colorful).  Also added cinnabar, which can give a vermilion dye and mercury, though those products aren't in either.

I'm actually not decided on gunpowder, but I'm not in a rush.  It certainly shouldn't be allowed to ruin the setting.

Yes, there are plans to salt use, but I imagine it will be mines of salt instead of using saltwater.
Yes, then we can finally force our migrants to toil in the salt mines.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: October 08, 2012, 01:49:23 pm »

but.. but... desalination and distilled water!
Highly Opinionated Fool

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: October 08, 2012, 03:33:02 pm »

That makes me think, if salt water is spread over an area and then is given time to evaporare, would salt boulders be left behind?
hmm..
When salt is implemented, will evaporation of salt water leave salt behind as a by-product?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: October 08, 2012, 04:36:14 pm »

That makes me think, if salt water is spread over an area and then is given time to evaporare, would salt boulders be left behind?
hmm..
]When salt is implemented, will evaporation of salt water leave salt behind as a by-product?

Hmm, well the amount of salt it would leave behind would be rather minimal, and on top of that it would be rather dirty.

but given a particularly large quantity of saltwater and a fine mesh to run it through you would eventually end up with enough filthy salt to last you.... I don't know, bout an in game week or so?
(basically it's not terribly practical)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: October 08, 2012, 04:42:23 pm »

hmm..
]When salt is implemented, will evaporation of salt water leave salt behind as a by-product?

Hmm, well the amount of salt it would leave behind would be rather minimal, and on top of that it would be rather dirty.

but given a particularly large quantity of saltwater and a fine mesh to run it through you would eventually end up with enough filthy salt to last you.... I don't know, bout an in game week or so?
(basically it's not terribly practical)
I agree with you about the filthy. People just don't realise "salt" is a generic term for aqueus materials, i.e. dissolved stuff. But I have to disagree regarding efficiency. Nothing to stop players from making a massive salt farm. Besides, a in-game week is terribly short.
but.. but... desalination and distilled water!
BUT NOTHING. I DEMAND SALTMINES.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: October 08, 2012, 04:52:14 pm »

a in-game week is terribly short.

Kind of what I was getting at, the usable amount of "sea salt" per gallon of seawater is miniscule, so it would take a massive amount of water to produce a few DF units of salt.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3820 on: October 08, 2012, 04:58:29 pm »

a in-game week is terribly short.

Kind of what I was getting at, the usable amount of "sea salt" per gallon of seawater is miniscule, so it would take a massive amount of water to produce a few DF units of salt.
Thus, we could have superlicious megaprojects to do this? Seems fitting enough, a gigantic reservoir thingy where water is set to evaporate en masse, since dwarven enginners don't have much to do once they got their lava defense and everything else set up.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: October 08, 2012, 04:59:51 pm »

Quote from: tahujdt
Will elves again send their emmissaries to request logging limits?

As far as I know, that's just a garden variety bug.  I'm not sure when it'll be fixed, or if I'll just wait for general diplomacy improvements.

Toady, Quietust's findings in this report suggest that it's a simple raws issue.

If a tree grows into a new tile in such a way as a trunk would move over a creature, what would happen? In real life, if some object is left in a tree, the bark will eventually envelop it and trap it, but will creatures get a chance to move out of the way so they won't be "encased in maple tree?"

This was just answered:

Quote from: CaptainArchmage
What happens if a tree is going to grow outwards or upwards, but something is in the way, be it a building or construction or creature?

The way it is set up now, trees will just go around.  I haven't done anything with slow pushing/deforming or anything like that -- we don't have fine gradations to work with.

Thanks for the answers, Toady and everybody.
Okay, this probably have been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on it, so here it goes:
Does having raws in text files impact performance, and putting them in a database like SQL would improve performance? If yes, have you considered doing this?
There would be no advantage to using a database given how raws are read in so infrequently. They are read when starting a new world, and when loading a game.

Also, this is a suggestion, and does not belong here.

No it's not, it's a question. I questioned if he considered doing this, and if the .txts being converted to a database would improve performance.

No, it wouldn't improve performance in any meaningful way.  See Amdahl's Law -- to optimize a program, you have to target the sections that have the largest impact on run time.  If you're under the impression that the raws are read from disk every time the game checks some creature properties or whatever, that's not how it works.  The raws get imported into permanent memory objects, which is the same thing that'd happen if they were imported from a database instead.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:09:48 pm by Footkerchief »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: October 08, 2012, 07:20:14 pm »

if getting salt form seawater is useless, then why did capecod do it?
Highly Opinionated Fool

merreton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: October 08, 2012, 07:24:47 pm »

Not sure if this has been asked yet;
Will you be able to use plants and things to create poisons to put onto weapons.
That is, will at some point there be the possibility to make weapons cause poison and other affliction damage over time.
Which also has implications of more alchemy things like anitdotes to poisons and such.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: October 08, 2012, 08:52:33 pm »

tobad the cant be gunpowder...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 748