Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810000 times)

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3780 on: October 07, 2012, 01:14:02 pm »

Will you gain personal enemies that will hunt you to the ends of the earth for killing their parent years ago?
There nothing in the Dev Goals or Dev Logs to suggest this in particular is planned. But there are stuff in the works that may let this happen on its own. Such as the Site and Entity reputations, being a criminal adventurer role and being tracked down.

If I understand what's being done with parties hunting down adventurers correctly then that kind of feature is all but guaranteed. It seems like it would simply be a one-man posse, a variation of a feature that is already planned for the next round of releases. I doubt it will actually make it in to this release due rivalries and vengeance needing to be programmed in for full sentience for interactions on that level.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: October 07, 2012, 01:52:48 pm »

Will there be a (possibly welcome) dissonance between character reaction time and movement/other action cost? For instance, if I break into a full out sprint, I would say move two tiles instead of one in the same turnframe, thus, possibly overshooting a target I want to rush by while swinging at.
One good already existing example would be minecart riding, though, then we might have issues with players having to mash the movement key a bunch of times to move a single tile at slowest movement rate, though at least they won't be vulnerable to several attempts of attack by an enemy who's several tiles away just be pressing a movement key.

Even when you're at the maximum speed possible in-game as of now, you'll still have control over every movement. Sprinting will probably just increase your movement speed, which to the player means that everyone else will appear slower as opposed to the player seeming to move faster.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: October 07, 2012, 05:10:10 pm »

Will there be a special place in future Dwarven culture/society for the original 7 Dwarves? I have noticed some players put great value on their original 7, and become emotionally attached to them. Will the AI dwarves also revere them in some way?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: October 07, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »

Will single tile trees still be possible?
Some plants may be suitable to be treated as impassible single tiles, as trees are now.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: October 07, 2012, 06:52:28 pm »

Had to edit my question due to embarassment, but for the dingo mountain-toy thing, what I meant was like gaining a personal peasant child enemy who gains a goal to become the best swordsman in the world with the sole goal of finding you and killing you.

It was implied because of the pop culture reference, it should have been stated clearly.

Action: You kill a NPC elf
Reaction 1: Low skilled NPC elf child of the elf you killed spends years gaining skill
Reaction 2: Now High Skilled elf once a child NPC starts looking for you.
Reaction 3: You fight an epic battle to the death with the victim of your careless actions.

An eye for an ear!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: October 07, 2012, 07:37:32 pm »

It would certainly be realistic... But given that a single adventurer might kill dozens of innocent bystanders, would the game really be playable with hundreds of people out to get you? Eventually, you'd just have to go into hiding.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: October 07, 2012, 08:47:13 pm »

Will we get other things growing in the trees like lichen? Trees act as a habitat for all sorts of other animals (like elves of course).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: October 07, 2012, 09:19:36 pm »

It would certainly be realistic... But given that a single adventurer might kill dozens of innocent bystanders, would the game really be playable with hundreds of people out to get you? Eventually, you'd just have to go into hiding.

I think that sounds awesome.

How many innocent bystanders do you really kill, anyway? That would encourage you to think more about your actions. Either don't kill innocent bystanders or ... make sure you're thorough enough to kill all of them!

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: October 07, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »

Do you have any plans at the moment to expand on Legend Mode's XML export feature, or Legend Mode in general?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: October 07, 2012, 09:48:37 pm »

Do you have any plans at the moment to expand on Legend Mode's XML export feature?

Legend Mode XML export feature, is labeled as a WIP. So, presumably, yes.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3790 on: October 07, 2012, 09:50:21 pm »

I've honestly forgetten. This is the same update with all the stealth, less than lethal combat, and combat mind systems being put in place as well, yeah?
Going back to the combat mind portion of this update, will we have civilian dwarves in fortresses occasionally not only fighting back, but making sure an enemy is sufficiently incapacitated if they can, out of retaliatory anger?
Will dwarves always have the heart, militia or not, to finish off an unconscious/sufficiently helpless/fleeing enemy after getting the upper hand in what has developed into the 'lethal combat' range?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: October 07, 2012, 10:09:11 pm »

That's realistic. If you kill bandits instead you can have the power of the law at your disposal when they try to get you.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: October 07, 2012, 10:09:53 pm »

I've honestly forgetten. This is the same update with all the stealth, less than lethal combat, and combat mind systems being put in place as well, yeah?
Going back to the combat mind portion of this update, will we have civilian dwarves in fortresses occasionally not only fighting back, but making sure an enemy is sufficiently incapacitated if they can, out of retaliatory anger?

A change to Fort Mode Dorf AI would probably be mention in the Dev Log, and when the combat changes were made, the Dev Log only spoke about Adventure Mode Critter Brain AI changes.

The overarching personality changes are suppose to include Fort Mode Dorfs reacting different to critters.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3793 on: October 07, 2012, 10:44:44 pm »

Admittedly, that would be kind of awesome. Hide out on the other side of the world, swim to a deserted island, all that jazz. Or get a few allies, convince them through friendship and relationship simulation that you might be worth defending, and then perhaps take on those threats head on, and perhaps more quietly too?
The directions we could go with this could be really diverse once it gets fleshed out.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: October 07, 2012, 10:52:50 pm »

If a tree grows into a new tile in such a way as a trunk would move over a creature, what would happen? In real life, if some object is left in a tree, the bark will eventually envelop it and trap it, but will creatures get a chance to move out of the way so they won't be "encased in maple tree?"
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 748