Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810008 times)

Emerald Salamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3765 on: October 06, 2012, 08:32:20 pm »

Hi
Toady probably already answered this some-where but I couldn't find it. I was wondering when in fortress mode you'll be able to actually send out troops and armies to attack different citys and other things? When would you also be able to switch screens to see your army fighting other armies if their away from your fortress?
"Therefore, I implore you, merry band of shit-for-brains midgets, to stop acting like idiots."

hiho216

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: October 06, 2012, 08:34:41 pm »

I know that this project is your baby, but would you consider taking volunteers for stuff unrelated to making the game?  Maybe a team to help you sift through the FOTF questions, perhaps?
At least we humans don't engrave things or put images of events on our stuff as much as dwarfs do. We'd have murals of presidents being assassinated and such all over D.C. as well as your standard cheeseburgers, Pontiac TransAms, and insects.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: October 06, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »

*this double post menaces with spikes of time delay.*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:46:06 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: October 06, 2012, 08:56:24 pm »

Does this hint at any future changes to food/drink quality such as wines gaining cost/demand over time or something along the lines of modding to include such complicated farmering and foodering?
Drinks are gonna eventually get quality modifers. And everything the fort can make is suppose to be subjected to supply and demand, eventually.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: October 06, 2012, 09:15:16 pm »

So in short underground trees are basically giant mushrooms.
Most of them are. Spore trees and blood thorn might be a little different. Also, fungiwood has a grain, and tunnel tubes have curving trunks.

5candles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: October 06, 2012, 09:27:16 pm »

When one does see more extensive undergrowth in the dwarfiverse, Will the Dwarfs and other races have bush-clearing abilities, asides from harvesting and trampling, e.g a machete, i.e hacking the vegetative things hindering their progress into little bits?

It'd be quite nice. Assuming of course that the vegetative explosion sure to ensue in the future does indeed hamper the movement speeds of affected entities?

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: October 06, 2012, 10:14:31 pm »

Hi
Toady probably already answered this some-where but I couldn't find it. I was wondering when in fortress mode you'll be able to actually send out troops and armies to attack different citys and other things? When would you also be able to switch screens to see your army fighting other armies if their away from your fortress?

Eventually, yes you will, not exactly sure how it will function, though, we will only know the details when Toady works on it. And it will not be available in this release, only in the army arc/caravan arc.

I know that this project is your baby, but would you consider taking volunteers for stuff unrelated to making the game?  Maybe a team to help you sift through the FOTF questions, perhaps?

You need to put your question in green or lime green for him to read. It helps when answering. It would be cool if we could help him, but Toady prefers to work alone, I think. Sometimes some mods corrections make it to the raws, though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:31:52 pm by arkhometha »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: October 06, 2012, 10:15:09 pm »

He has mods for the mantis bugtracker. For FotF, the current system of vigilante question-answering seems to work fine.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: October 06, 2012, 10:29:24 pm »

He has mods for the mantis bugtracker. For FotF, the current system of vigilante question-answering seems to work fine.
That, and Baughn.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: October 06, 2012, 10:30:02 pm »

I like answering questions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: October 06, 2012, 11:09:59 pm »

I like getting credit for it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: October 07, 2012, 12:41:49 am »

I like getting credit for it.

My motivation for answering questions.  Also, Hurray for answered questions.  Next version I will be even more able to take down hoards of enemies.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: October 07, 2012, 06:33:31 am »

So in short underground trees are basically giant mushrooms.

Most of them are, but I don't think they have to be, even given a normal metabolism.

Photosynthesis, after all, is a plant's way of eating. However, it can be replaced with other mechanisms (the way mushrooms and animals eat organic matter, for example). And remember that in DF the surface is very close to magma, compared to the real world. Thus, there's no reason that some of the plants (particularly in cavern level 3) couldn't get their energy from the magma sea (either via root to the sea, or ambient absorption). Then the giant mushrooms could feed off of the decaying dead magma-trees.

Of course, given the proximity of hell, as well, it's possible that certain plants have managed to convert ambient magic to energy.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: October 07, 2012, 08:45:35 am »

You are helpful, but sometimes you guess a lot while trying to answer questions. Compare with Footkerchief, that answered using Toady's quotes from ages past.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: October 07, 2012, 10:08:55 am »

Will you be able to "resume" world generation independant of player action for a set amount of years?

I dont quite get what you're asking. But ToadyOne has spoken about being able to time skip during Adventure Mode, for months or possibly years at a time.

If reproduction for players is allowed so, will it allow you to "resume" on your offspring for adventuring?
Yep. Thats planned.

Will you gain personal enemies that will hunt you to the ends of the earth for killing their parent years ago?
There nothing in the Dev Goals or Dev Logs to suggest this in particular is planned. But there are stuff in the works that may let this happen on its own. Such as the Site and Entity reputations, being a criminal adventurer role and being tracked down.

You are helpful, but sometimes you guess a lot while trying to answer questions. Compare with Footkerchief, that answered using Toady's quotes from ages past.
I dont know how Footkerchief can mine the forum search function like that.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 748